MPA/MPP/MPS Applications, Fall 2020 (Canada)

Svenpai

On 3/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, bp63 said:

Yesterday at about 3pm I received an email from Waterloo with a conditional offer. They told me that the official acceptance would be made available on Quest in about 2 weeks to accept or decline the offer.

Congratulations !

Can I ask you about your stats ? I wonder if it's because you have a really really good level, and what their standards are.

2 hours ago, uwosf2020 said:

I was accepted with $6,000 funding at the beginning of Feb! My L2 GPA is 3.7 (my program is honours spec sociology), I had a leadership internship with RBC last summer working on the Future Launch program, I volunteer with a community services organization in my city and I am an op exec with an MS club. Other than that, I worked retail for 6 years and I have personal connections to the type of policy I want to study. I had very, very strong recommendation letters from two professors I've had all 4 years of university in very small classes. One is the chair of the school of behavioural studies, the other professor held the chair position 7 years ago. I also applied very late, like end of January. I heard back 12 days after I applied.

I spoke to the program coordinator and they receive anywhere from 350-400 applications every year, and accept 35-40 full-time students, and 5 part-time students. 

Wow, congrats! and thanks for this info!! 

I see on the program website that there are spots still open... do you know if this is because they haven't been able to accept 35-40 students because not enough "qualified" people have applied  or is it because maybe people haven't accepted their offers yet? 

1 hour ago, jberma01 said:

Wow, congrats! and thanks for this info!! 

I see on the program website that there are spots still open... do you know if this is because they haven't been able to accept 35-40 students because not enough "qualified" people have applied  or is it because maybe people haven't accepted their offers yet? 

Thank you! They originally gave me until Feb 20 to accept, which I countered so that I could receive an extension. I was extended to March 6th. I accepted but I don't have to put a deposit down until June 15th, so I'll wait to hear back from Munk before I pay. So basically what I'm trying to say is that it could be a combination of both. There could be first rounders who declined, there could be people who received extensions, and there could be a lack of qualified applicants. They would never tell you that though, the program coordinator is pretty tight with information. 

I think the problem with this type of degree is 1) what you want to do with it and 2) what you can afford (or what debt you want to take on). When schools like Carleton give out close to $50,000 in funding, thats extremely tempting for most people. I didn't apply there, but if I did, I'm sure I would've been tempted to go (however, I have personal reasons for choosing Toronto). People will be holding back on offers from schools like Ryerson to see if other programs will give them more money, guaranteed TA/GAships, etc. When an offer has been sent out, they reserve a spot from that 35 spot program. They can't hand out another offer until that person has declined.

Like Paulgc87 explained earlier, there are differences between program content for MPP/MPPA's which can affect where you will work later on (see post on page 2 where he outlined the differences of schools like Munk, Ryerson, Carleton). Me for example, I didn't get much guidance from any of my professors about what school would be better because I'm not in political science so they'd have no idea. After learning more from people online, I would probably choose Munk regardless of the 0 funding they give out, just for the job prospects. This would delay people from accepting offers as well, I feel like a lot of us are doing cost-benefit analyses on these programs. Finally, every program gives different deadlines. It's too bad (however understandable) that grad school in general isn't a streamlined, uniform application process like law school where they all have to hand out offers by x date and you respond by x date. It makes the whole thing very confusing. 

However,  I also know that last year, Munk re-opened its applications in March. There was much speculation that this was due to a poor applicant pool. Who really knows though... the whole process is very smoke and mirrors to me. It doesn't make sense to me that people would apply without even the minimum GPA but I guess they still do.  

11 hours ago, cactusjack said:

Hey, congrats to you! Would you be okay with sharing your stats/softs? 

Thank you! My L2 GPA was 3.67. I have a decent amount of community work and extra-curricular's highlighted in my CV including volunteering for political candidates, non-profit organizations and student groups that I was actively a part of. Other than that, I had a 2 strong academic references (1 professor and 1 TA) and a professional reference from one of the non-profit's I worked for. I tried to keep my statement of interest coherent with the rest of my application by focusing on my interest for social policy and the non-profit sector, so that's what I tried to highlight thoroughly. Still waiting on the formal offer through Quest though, so hopefully it comes soon!

6 hours ago, Endzone98 said:

Does anyone have any insight about Carletons MPPA program. I have heard from a few friends its quite prestigious. I was just wondering how it ranks with various other schools in Canada and the world!

From what I’ve learned, Carleton is the best bet if you want to work for the federal government. It’s in Ottawa and has close ties to the government. It’s also cool that the MPPA program is also introducing a Data Science specialization this September (it’s been approved) if you’re interested in that stuff. They also have a rather wide selection of courses, unlike some other Canadian policy schools.

The MPPA program is also super cheap. Under $18,000 for two years total. And Carleton throws money at students! They have the most generous funding packages of all policy schools in the country. Many people get offered $15k or more. And that’s not including co-op, which you can do over two terms there. 

The drawback is that Carleton University is virtually unknown outside Canada. It’s not a highly ranked school. However, the more work experience you have, the less your school matters, so it would still be possible for you to go to Carleton, work in the government, and then move elsewhere should you so wish.  

That’s what I understand, at least. Are you thinking about applying next year? 

4 hours ago, bananacoconut said:

From what I’ve learned, Carleton is the best bet if you want to work for the federal government. It’s in Ottawa and has close ties to the government. It’s also cool that the MPPA program is also introducing a Data Science specialization this September (it’s been approved) if you’re interested in that stuff. They also have a rather wide selection of courses, unlike some other Canadian policy schools.

The MPPA program is also super cheap. Under $18,000 for two years total. And Carleton throws money at students! They have the most generous funding packages of all policy schools in the country. Many people get offered $15k or more. And that’s not including co-op, which you can do over two terms there. 

The drawback is that Carleton University is virtually unknown outside Canada. It’s not a highly ranked school. However, the more work experience you have, the less your school matters, so it would still be possible for you to go to Carleton, work in the government, and then move elsewhere should you so wish.  

That’s what I understand, at least. Are you thinking about applying next year? 

Thanks for the info! I just got into the MPPA program at Carleton! But i also got into GSPIA at Uottawa so i wanted to compare which school offered a better route into the federal government, and employment oppurunities. I was also trying to figure out the strength of the COOP programs as well. 

I like the fact Carleton has a very secure COOP program where the GSPIA at Uottawa only offers it to the top tier students. 

I heard Carletons MPPA program is highly regarded as being one of the best in Canada? Is this true? As you mentioned it doesn't seem to be internationally known!

56 minutes ago, Endzone98 said:

Thanks for the info! I just got into the MPPA program at Carleton! But i also got into GSPIA at Uottawa so i wanted to compare which school offered a better route into the federal government, and employment oppurunities. I was also trying to figure out the strength of the COOP programs as well. 

I like the fact Carleton has a very secure COOP program where the GSPIA at Uottawa only offers it to the top tier students. 

I heard Carletons MPPA program is highly regarded as being one of the best in Canada? Is this true? As you mentioned it doesn't seem to be internationally known!

The Carleton program is extremely well respected by managers in the federal public servants. Did you just get in today?

Just now, wevan980 said:

The Carleton program is extremely well respected by managers in the federal public servants. Did you just get in today?

I got in yesterday! I accepted the offer over GSPIA after doing some further research! Seems like an amazing program in Canada! 

Recently received a conditional offer of admission to the MPS program at Waterloo! I am still debating between UofT's MPP (waiting on decision) or the MPS program. Is there any justification beyond the prestige of UofT that warrants almost double the price tag, half the co-op term and a restrictive course layout that makes it difficult to transition from co-op to full-time employment? I have searched various forums and it seems like the benefit of UofT is it's international prestige and a heavy stats/economics focus that's aligned with the rigour and program structure of American MPP programs. This was cited as being ideal if your were interested in applying to competitive PhD programs in the states. As well, there is this supposed connection to the 'private sector' yet it appears that only 13.8% of alumni have jobs in the private sector. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe governments compensate policy jobs the best and there is usually a progression of people in the private sector trying to break into equivalent government roles? However, for career prospects within Canada UofT's mpp alumni statistics show around 64.7% join the government. When it comes to hiring decisions, I'm not sure there is an emphasis if any at all placed on school 'prestige' but rather the length of relevant work experience. I'm curious as to understanding the rationale behind the decision to attend UofT when smaller programs like the MPS offer double the co-op experience heavily situated in government. I would love to hear your thoughts on this! 

2 hours ago, milomars said:

Recently received a conditional offer of admission to the MPS program at Waterloo! I am still debating between UofT's MPP (waiting on decision) or the MPS program. Is there any justification beyond the prestige of UofT that warrants almost double the price tag, half the co-op term and a restrictive course layout that makes it difficult to transition from co-op to full-time employment? I have searched various forums and it seems like the benefit of UofT is it's international prestige and a heavy stats/economics focus that's aligned with the rigour and program structure of American MPP programs. This was cited as being ideal if your were interested in applying to competitive PhD programs in the states. As well, there is this supposed connection to the 'private sector' yet it appears that only 13.8% of alumni have jobs in the private sector. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe governments compensate policy jobs the best and there is usually a progression of people in the private sector trying to break into equivalent government roles? However, for career prospects within Canada UofT's mpp alumni statistics show around 64.7% join the government. When it comes to hiring decisions, I'm not sure there is an emphasis if any at all placed on school 'prestige' but rather the length of relevant work experience. I'm curious as to understanding the rationale behind the decision to attend UofT when smaller programs like the MPS offer double the co-op experience heavily situated in government. I would love to hear your thoughts on this! 

U of T is a great school, but I think if you plan on staying in Canada and not pursing a PhD outside of Canada, then Waterloo is your best bet! It has one of the best COOP programs overall in North America, and its wayyyyy less in terms of expenses. I think their is an allure towards people pursuing the private sector, but you risk stability at the same time! Going to Waterloo isn't going to diminish you in terms of the "top tier MPPA schools", but rather provide you a gateway into practical work experience if you choose to stay in Canada!

I received an offer of admission from Munk today. It did not mention funding and neither did my offer from Queens.

I accepted Queens offer since the deadline to do so was early March and I confirmed with the coordinator that the deadline to submit the deposit is in June.

Queens has always been my first choice but now I’m considering Munk instead (mostly because I want to stay close to home). Knowing more about funding from both schools would be helpful but not sure when they give out funding info. Any thoughts or advice?  

I have read the past responses comparing Carlton/Ryerson and U of T’s program. Would Queens and U of T compare similarly in terms of international opportunities and the “value” of the degree?

I was also accepted to munk today with no mention of funding. On their website i think it mentioned that the school of public policy has no funding options and students have to apply to other awards etc for money. I think I will choose Queens instead since it's just one year and less expensive. 

Everyone asking about Carleton/Queens/Ryerson/[insert school here] versus UT: If you want rankings, go to Macleans, or if you want global rankings, go to THE, QS, or USNWR. I don't mean this in a snarky way, I'm just making a point that everything said on here is subjective and opinion-based. It is an objective fact that UT is at the top of every single global ranking, as well as best overall and highest quality in Canadian (Macleans) rankings. Subjectively, having worked for a big 4 consulting firm in the US, for a boutique firm in Canada, a provincial government and having received my master's in the US, I can tell you that literally no one in the US outside of academia has ever heard of Carleton/Queens/Ryerson/Waterloo (the latter, add tech/silicon valley, but that's it). Many Americans, Europeans and Asians haven't heard of any Canadian schools at all, but I've found most commonly that they've only heard of the "big 3" (UT, McGill, UBC). 

None of this makes UT, McGill or UBC better than Carleton/Queens/Ryerson/[insert school here] if you have good reasons for attending a specific program. If you plan on staying in Canada, if you have a great funding offer, if you have personal connections to a program/faculty/location, if you like the job opportunities/connections/networking at a certain school, then that should make the decision for you, not the name on your diploma. For example: If you know you plan to stay in Canada, don't want a PhD (thus making your master's degree a terminal degree), and you have a strong interest in working for the federal government, go to UOttowa, or, if you don't parlez Francais, go to Carleton. Excellent networking and co-op/job opportunities with the feds, affordable, and if you don't mind Ottawa, they're both great.

If you want to work abroad (not just US but anywhere outside Canada), go to UT, UBC or McGill. We don't care as much about rankings or name brand recognition here in Canada, and that is one of the things I love about this country, but much of the rest of the world (especially the US, Asia and the UK) do care about rankings. In the US and Asia, private sector employers get neurotic about rankings and name to the point of being obsessive. This is based on my personal experience but you can see it on your own simply in how religiously Americans and Chinese/Japanese people talk about rankings and prestige. No one in Washington DC has heard of Waterloo or Carleton, I promise you (again, based on personal experience). Most haven't even heard of UT or McGill, but at least there's a few.

Go where your fit is best based on those things I just mentioned. But don't kid yourself. Even in Canada, UT is at the top. Other schools are great too, but if you're going just based on "prestige", go look at the Macleans rankings, compare Canadian universities in USNWR/QS/THE global rankings, look at which schools have the most publications and citations and endowment, and for all of these it is unequivocally UT. 

Disclaimer: SM in polisci from MIT, current PhD student in polisci at UT

Posted on another thread, but should prolly post here as well. 

Congrats to those who've recieved offers! In case anyone has questions re: Munk MPP, feel free to reach out to me. I am a second year, weeks away from completion of my degree. 

For context - I also applied to Queen's MPA and the MGA program at Munk.

3 hours ago, labourneighbour said:

I emailed Munk and they're aiming to send funding info to accepted candidates today.

Do you think this means they've filled the cohort already? (i.e., no other acceptances will be sent out?)

Is anyone considering accepting UWaterloo MPS? The co-op program is really intriguing me, as it gives real experience before entering the field and the program itself seems well-rounded. Although it seems like most people on here are looking to Munk - what do you guys think? Anyone else have MPS as their top choice?

1 hour ago, beautybaby said:

Is anyone considering accepting UWaterloo MPS? The co-op program is really intriguing me, as it gives real experience before entering the field and the program itself seems well-rounded. Although it seems like most people on here are looking to Munk - what do you guys think? Anyone else have MPS as their top choice?

Hi. Everything Waterloo does is good, so I can't imagine the MPS is any different. Keep in mind, the Munk program is an MPP, and Master of Public Policy (MPP) programs generally tend to have some universal commonalities/similarities and are not always the same thing as public affairs/admin/service degrees. MPP degrees in North America are very methodology-based and emphasize quantitative policy analysis using economics and statistics; they also tend to be two-year degrees instead of one year and have more coursework/course requirements. MPA/MPS/MPPA/etc degrees tend to be more qualitative, some focus more on course work and others more on practical experience, and some are two years while others are just a year. 

Looking at Waterloo's MPS program, you get a methods course and two econ courses, which is great. As far as the co-op, I guess it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to work for the federal government, provincial, private sector (consulting, non profit, etc)... Waterloo is great for tech co-op's, including policy analysis in tech/STEM. It's not as strong in terms of federal government placements. If you want fed, go to Carleton, which has a similar program but better connections in Ottawa. Also keep in mind that the co-op/internship option is becoming pretty common among MPP/MPA/MPPA programs. Munk's MPP requires a mandatory paid internship during the program, as do a lot of other schools now, so it really isn't just Waterloo and Carleton that offer this.