MPA/MPP/MPS Applications, Fall 2020 (Canada)

Svenpai

23 hours ago, Slothy42 said:

Do you think this means they've filled the cohort already? (i.e., no other acceptances will be sent out?)

Probably not, as many applicants' status still shows as documents received, so i'm guessing many applicants haven't even been looked at yet. 

Just got an email from Munk admissions and it sounds like I've been waitlisted? They kind of danced around the gist of the message. Did anyone else get an email from them today?

It basically said thanks for applying, all applicants have been reviewed now, you'll see that your status has now turned to under review, the deferred- and first-round offers went out but they have to reply by mid-April so we'll be making more offers in late April. So, I'm assuming this means I may be considered in the next round? If they didn't want me at all, would they have just rejected me now? Ugh

6 hours ago, uwosf2020 said:

Just got an email from Munk admissions and it sounds like I've been waitlisted? They kind of danced around the gist of the message. Did anyone else get an email from them today?

It basically said thanks for applying, all applicants have been reviewed now, you'll see that your status has now turned to under review, the deferred- and first-round offers went out but they have to reply by mid-April so we'll be making more offers in late April. So, I'm assuming this means I may be considered in the next round? If they didn't want me at all, would they have just rejected me now? Ugh

I got the same e-mail, I guess it's basically saying we're both still in the mix for potential consideration

On 3/19/2020 at 3:15 PM, uwosf2020 said:

On 3/19/2020 at 9:34 PM, Slothy42 said:

I got the same e-mail, I guess it's basically saying we're both still in the mix for potential consideration

I got the same email. Hey, at least it's not an outright rejection lol. We still have a chance depending on how many people do not accept their offers. 

Anyone hear from McGill MPP lately? Last time I talked to them they said they'd be sending out the next wave of letters a week or two ago.

Obviously totally understand that coronavirus has presumably changed their timeline but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a new ETA? Cheers

Hey everyone, just putting this out there because this forum helped me a ton when I was applying last year.

I'm a current student in Waterloo's MPS program so If anybody has any particular questions about co-op, the courses, student life, etc. feel free to DM me.

I'm more than happy to help ! 

14 hours ago, Steven44 said:

Hey everyone, just putting this out there because this forum helped me a ton when I was applying last year.

I'm a current student in Waterloo's MPS program so If anybody has any particular questions about co-op, the courses, student life, etc. feel free to DM me.

Sent you a message! 

Edited by milomars

On 3/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, Steven44 said:

Sent you a message as well!

On 3/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, sillygoose4 said:

Congratulations! I believe the recommendation is just a formality so you should be good.

I was wondering the same thing. I got an email from McGill MPP with the same wording March 26th. 

@Yuting912 I had submitted my application end of January.

Still waiting for uCalgary MPP and uVic MPA

Hey! Folks who've got admits from Queens MPA.. guess that's the only one (1 year) which has a mandatory GRE (Munk's 2 years). I just wanted to know if the Queens MPA is worth for taking the GRE? I am an older prospect with 10 yrs industry exp and going back to GRE would be quite a thing for me (given other 1 years Mcgill Calgary Usask) don't ask for it. Please help.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, milomars said:

Recently received a conditional offer of admission to the MPS program at Waterloo! I am still debating between UofT's MPP (waiting on decision) or the MPS program. Is there any justification beyond the prestige of UofT that warrants almost double the price tag, half the co-op term and a restrictive course layout that makes it difficult to transition from co-op to full-time employment? I have searched various forums and it seems like the benefit of UofT is it's international prestige and a heavy stats/economics focus that's aligned with the rigour and program structure of American MPP programs. This was cited as being ideal if your were interested in applying to competitive PhD programs in the states. As well, there is this supposed connection to the 'private sector' yet it appears that only 13.8% of alumni have jobs in the private sector. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe governments compensate policy jobs the best and there is usually a progression of people in the private sector trying to break into equivalent government roles? However, for career prospects within Canada UofT's mpp alumni statistics show around 64.7% join the government. When it comes to hiring decisions, I'm not sure there is an emphasis if any at all placed on school 'prestige' but rather the length of relevant work experience. I'm curious as to understanding the rationale behind the decision to attend UofT when smaller programs like the MPS offer double the co-op experience heavily situated in government. I would love to hear your thoughts on this! 

Hey, which school did you end up going with?

They just offered me funding, too. Still seriously considering Ryerson since it'll essentially be free for me... Looking for some clarity if anyone wants to weigh in

6 hours ago, uwosf2020 said:

Just got into Munk, I'm so happy 

On 3/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, Paulcg87 said:

Hi. Everything Waterloo does is good, so I can't imagine the MPS is any different. Keep in mind, the Munk program is an MPP, and Master of Public Policy (MPP) programs generally tend to have some universal commonalities/similarities and are not always the same thing as public affairs/admin/service degrees. MPP degrees in North America are very methodology-based and emphasize quantitative policy analysis using economics and statistics; they also tend to be two-year degrees instead of one year and have more coursework/course requirements. MPA/MPS/MPPA/etc degrees tend to be more qualitative, some focus more on course work and others more on practical experience, and some are two years while others are just a year. 

Looking at Waterloo's MPS program, you get a methods course and two econ courses, which is great. As far as the co-op, I guess it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to work for the federal government, provincial, private sector (consulting, non profit, etc)... Waterloo is great for tech co-op's, including policy analysis in tech/STEM. It's not as strong in terms of federal government placements. If you want fed, go to Carleton, which has a similar program but better connections in Ottawa. Also keep in mind that the co-op/internship option is becoming pretty common among MPP/MPA/MPPA programs. Munk's MPP requires a mandatory paid internship during the program, as do a lot of other schools now, so it really isn't just Waterloo and Carleton that offer this. 

Curiously do you know if Waterloo's co-op has opportunities for policy analysis within large corps or tech/STEM companies?

Got accepted into U of T and Waterloo and now trying to make a decision while trying to think which will minimize living costs. I wish Waterloo gave some scholarships or funding... U of T while extremely cheap is giving 3k.

3 hours ago, Cerebral93 said:

Curiously do you know if Waterloo's co-op has opportunities for policy analysis within large corps or tech/STEM companies?

Got accepted into U of T and Waterloo and now trying to make a decision while trying to think which will minimize living costs. I wish Waterloo gave some scholarships or funding... U of T while extremely cheap is giving 3k.

If you are trying to minimize costs why are you considering going to the most expensive program in one of, if not the most expensive cities in the country?

Edited by BTF