Ford Foundation Fellowship

wyopal

21 minutes ago, refreshingmyemail said:

hi all, I was awarded the pre-doctoral fellowship (about 15 min ago)! this is my 3rd year applying and my field is psychology. Goodluck everyone!

I’ve run out of “likes” I can give on this site for the day, but congrats ~ glad to know the emails are still coming in waves today. Hope to hear good news about my dissertation app today.

4 minutes ago, Mister Belvedere said:

I’ve run out of “likes” I can give on this site for the day, but congrats ~ glad to know the emails are still coming in waves today. Hope to hear good news about my dissertation app today.

Same, I'm hoping we will both get good news about the diss fellowship today! Or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Hi all, I was awarded the dissertation fellowship 50 min ago! Field is ecology. So happy and GRATEFUL for this forum. Applied for pre-doctoral and didn't get, then applied for the dissertation fellowship. All the best to everyone waiting and congrats to those awarded!

Edited by olives2sea

Just now, olives2sea said:

Hi all, I was awarded the dissertation fellowship 50 min ago! Field is ecology. So happy and GRATEFUL for this forum. Applied for pre-doctoral two years and didn't get, then applied for the dissertation fellowship. All the best to everyone waiting and congrats to those awarded!

Congratulations! It's good to know they are also sending out notifications for the Dissertation Awards.

Congrats to those who received the fellowship! I got an email this morning to check the portal and was notified that I did not receive it. My reviewers were pretty helpful, and one gave specific advice. I applied under Physical Sciences.

I'm curious how applications are matched with reviewers in terms of fields. The NSF is specific enough for reviewers to know some of the intricacies of the applicant's field (publication rate, required experience, plausible research ideas, etc.). I'd imagine that there could be some issues with a mathematician reviewing a chemist's application for example.

EDIT: I applied for the predoctoral fellowship btw.

Edited by captivatingCA

1 hour ago, PMMM said:

Hey everyone. Congrats to the awardees! Just got notified that I’m an alternate (Predoctoral, Interdisciplinary Studies (Social Sciences and Humanities)). Anyone else get this status?

Hi! I also got notified that I am an alternate (Pre-doc, Education).

Anyone know the chances of getting selected for funding after being an alternate?

Congrats to everyone who got the fellowship this year! And solidarity with those who did not. This was my third time applying to the predoc and second time receiving an Honorable Mention. The first time I applied to the Ford, I was also an alternate. I do not know how likely it is to be selected from the alternate list but I'm in the Humanities where there is a dearth of fellowships at this level so I figured someone would pretty much have to die in order to move on to the next person on the list.

I'm curious if anyone has received HM more than once? Do you include the multiple attempts on your CV? Also, what is the weight that an HM carries? I am pretty salty about the results right now so a part of me just wants to erase anything related to the Ford from my CV entirely.

2 hours ago, sleepyface said:

Congrats to everyone who got the fellowship this year! And solidarity with those who did not. This was my third time applying to the predoc and second time receiving an Honorable Mention. The first time I applied to the Ford, I was also an alternate. I do not know how likely it is to be selected from the alternate list but I'm in the Humanities where there is a dearth of fellowships at this level so I figured someone would pretty much have to die in order to move on to the next person on the list.

I'm curious if anyone has received HM more than once? Do you include the multiple attempts on your CV? Also, what is the weight that an HM carries? I am pretty salty about the results right now so a part of me just wants to erase anything related to the Ford from my CV entirely.

I’m sorry to hear that - this process can be very frustrating. I also applied three times, first time got HM, second time got Alternate/HM, and this time I was awarded the fellowship. I put my HM and Alternate status on my CV because many faculty advised me to do that, so maybe you should too. I think people like to know that you are trying to get funded. I hope this helps and goodluck with everything!

Hey ya'll! I was awarded a predoc fellowship with my primary field of study as Biological & Biomedical Sciences! I am absolutely shook by this news since this is my first time applying for the fellowship.

Congrats to everyone who applied no matter the outcome. ❤️

Hi all! I was shocked to find out I was awarded the pre-doctoral fellowship yesterday. ? I'm in Environmental Engineering. I was reviewed by 5 reviewers and had 4/5 leave substantial comments with marks ranging from Excellent to Good.

For those who were not awarded the fellowship, I empathize and know how frustrating it can be. This was my 2nd time applying-- my first year I got an honorable mention for Ford and the NSF GRFP. I think what helped me this year was reaching out to a previous Ford fellow and my peers to get feedback on my application. Based on last years experience, I felt that my PhD advisor was not as well suited to provide input on this application. Keep at it and don't give up! Also definitely list honorable mentions on your CV because one of my reviewers commented positively on that. Si se puede!

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone!

For those who won the Ford Predoctoral Fellowship, would you be willing to share your essays with me, please? 

This will be my third and last opportunity to apply and I would really appreciate any help I can get. I promise to pay it forward. Thank you!!!!