Ford Foundation Fellowship

wyopal

14 minutes ago, Large Chai said:

I totally agree! That sounds frustrating. That made their decision look somehow arbitrary. :(

Are you applying again next year?

I am not sure..

I also applied to the NSF GRFP and NIH F31 Diversity (longest and most excruciating application of all the fellowships). Hopefully I can get one of those and not worry about predoctoral fellowships for the rest of my graduate career. 

On the results page, they said 70/2100 received the Ford, that's only 3.33% of applicants. Those are very low chances.

If I don't get anything this year, I will probably re-apply for the NIH F31 Diversity or AHA Predoctoral. Both of these have much higher success rates. The NIH depends on your field but its around 40% for me, while the AHA is 37%. Since it's a numbers game, I rather take my chances in those two.

Edited by vall718

Hi all

I received an email at 10:02 (ET) to check my online application. I am incredibly surprised to have received the Fellowship. 

reviewer 1: no comments

reviewers 2-5: all had 3-4 sentences worth of comments. 

I am not really sure if there is one section that weighs more than the other, but overall I scored between "very good" and "Excellent." I only received one "good" (prob reviewer 1), but the rest are above that. 

If you are looking to apply again, there's a pre-recorder webinar on YouTube. The awardees discuss how they prepared for the application and what the Foundation has helped them as grad students. I re-watched it last night assuming I wouldn't get it, and was planning on emailing one or two of them my applications to get some feedback.

4 minutes ago, Alma1350 said:

Hi all

I received an email at 10:02 (ET) to check my online application. I am incredibly surprised to have received the Fellowship. 

I am not really sure if there is one section that weighs more than the other, but overall I scored between "very good" and "Excellent." I only received one "good" (prob reviewer 1), but the rest are above that. 

If you are looking to apply again, there's a pre-recorder webinar on YouTube. The awardees discuss how they prepared for the application and what the Foundation has helped them as grad students. I re-watched it last night assuming I wouldn't get it, and was planning on emailing one or two of them my applications to get some feedback.

Congrats!!!! That is amazing!!! 

I just checked my account and still have the generic message "Review results will be available one to two weeks after the review." I wonder if they are doing it by fields. Alma1350, do you mind sharing which field you are in?

Did not receive the scholarship, but my reviews were fairly encouraging, and were specific on what I can improve.  I will definitely apply again next year, and I'll actually be enrolled in a program and can get help from professors then. The odds are astronomically low anyway.

And congrats Alma! That's amazing!

Edited by TimTheEnchanter

12 minutes ago, Iced decaf americano said:

Are you all Predoc?

*deleted comment*

I will have to say thats kinda of weird if they were... traditionally everyone was told at the same time/same day... and comments regarding reviews were never posted along results until two weeks after. 

Edited by CeXra

I’m a 2nd-year predoc and was informed I was an awardee via email earlier this morning. Feeling really happy but also understand the disappointment some of you might have. I was in your shoes last year. During my first year of grad school, I applied and wasn’t awarded. I had two reviewers with no comments, but I used my scores to improve my application this time around. Congrats to everyone who applied! 

20 minutes ago, Iced decaf americano said:

Did you all apply for predoc? I'm thinking dissertation fellow results aren't out yet...

I applied for dissertation and haven’t received any emails yet. Fingers crossed for us to win ~

34 minutes ago, Alma1350 said:

Hi all

I watch this webinar before starting to craft my application as well! I found it useful.

7 minutes ago, CeXra said:

Are you a winner from 2019? Or someone who received the award this week (like 2020) announcement..  Idk I highly doubt that its for this week. @Alma1350@refreshingmyemail

Even the post indicated stuff for 2019.... I am a skeptic but I don't think awards were announced for 2020 as of yet...

I'm not sure. But I can tell you that two other people from my lab who applied to the predoc fellowship for the 2019-2020 cycle were rejected about 30 minutes ago.

10 minutes ago, CeXra said:

Are you a winner from 2019? Or someone who received the award this week (like 2020) announcement..  Idk I highly doubt that its for this week. @Alma1350@refreshingmyemail

Even the post indicated stuff for 2019.... I am a skeptic but I don't think awards were announced for 2020 as of yet...

My understanding is that both users applied to predoc which is a 3-year award. It wouldn’t make sense for @Alma1350 receive a predoc award last year AND this year 

Edited by Mister Belvedere

Just now, Mister Belvedere said:

My understanding is that both users applied to predoc which is a 3-year award. It wouldn’t make sense for @refreshingmyemail to receive a predoc award last year AND this year lol

That's why I am asking to clarify if it was for this year or last year. Its not clear to me. 

Did not get predoc but got "excellent" on all categories being evaluated. Was told I needed a more specific way in which I was planning to engage with underrepresented communities. Congrats to all that got it, and best of luck for those waiting to hear back!

4 minutes ago, Physicsisphysics said:

My app still says, "Review results will be available one to two weeks after the review." I haven't gotten an email either. Anybody else?

Same didn't get an email.... Am I bugging or was announcement different in previous years....

56 minutes ago, refreshingmyemail said:

Congrats!!!! That is amazing!!! 

I just checked my account and still have the generic message "Review results will be available one to two weeks after the review." I wonder if they are doing it by fields. Alma1350, do you mind sharing which field you are in?

My primary field is Ecological, Environmental, & Evolutionary Sciences

31 minutes ago, CeXra said:

I am an award winner for 2020