Fletcher 2020

sloop7

On 3/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, Byrek said:

How’s everyone feeling about Fletcher as a whole?

Just something to think about as someone who witnessed a lot of my friends who graduated from Fletcher 2 yearsish out from a recession (2011/2012). 

Bottom line, getting a job from Fletcher will probably be a lot more challenging coming out of this recession period... You might want to think about a school that gives you more academic and brand exposure options in the interest of career flexibility (granted Fletcher is awesome in its current space).

1. Last time, a lot of people managed to handle the recession by plowing into government jobs of sorts and shapes (Obama administration still kept the Federal government well staffed). Some people resorted random admin jobs at military bases. Others managed to Presidential Merit Fellow (PMFs) and back then it was super competitive. This worked for a lot of people. 

The problem now is that President Trump has taken out a lot of government non-defense funding and even the military is in an aggressive cost cutting mode (for example, the Marine Corps is going to be shrinking), so this option will no longer be as strong. The PMF program is still viable and still a good program, but it has lost a lot of its luster as it simply isn't as competitive anymore.

2. There may still be opportunities within the private sector with IR/security related matters, but given how the stock market has been battered, that may be difficult too as companies seek to cut costs. Regardless, Fletcher isn't exactly the prime place to set up for such work. Granted it might have some special connections with certain organizations, the Fletcher brand doesn't go that far outside of IR. Also, by virtue of location and logistics, its rather difficult for Fletcher folks to have experential learning with innovation oriented private sector activities compared to other urban policy/IR schools. 

3. Since Fletcher does have a really tight knit community, I found it interesting that everyone was collectively freaking out together... but what wasn't happening was a can do attitude (this is what I saw... I'm sure someone else has a different opinion... but FYI). I think this is a function of Fletcher just being more isolated in its own space and grooms is a rather in group culture. I mean the pro is that you have a fiercely loyal alum base. The con is that the floating of new ideas and creative solutions to win against an economy wasn't that much the talk of the town. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

32 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Just something to think about as someone who witnessed a lot of my friends who graduated from Fletcher 2 yearsish out from a recession (2011/2012). 

Bottom line, getting a job from Fletcher will probably be a lot more challenging coming out of this recession period... You might want to think about a school that gives you more academic and brand exposure options in the interest of career flexibility (granted Fletcher is awesome in its current space).

Thanks for the post, important points that I've been considering as well. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on which peer programs you feel are a safer bet over the next couple of years

1 hour ago, sloop7 said:

Thanks for the post, important points that I've been considering as well. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on which peer programs you feel are a safer bet over the next couple of years

So think of this in two ways.

1. would be other IR programs... I think MSFS takes the cake because you have the benefit of being a school with lots of other disciplines you can collaborate with + options for work experience. If you want to go the quant route, SAIS, is arguably a better option.

2. would be other MPP programs, with breadth of career options in mind, I would say HKS, Harris, or SIPA. If you want to do West Coast, both Price and Goldman are great options. Ford, CMU, and Duke are all good options for more domestic policy oriented stuff. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:25 PM, roseyhoney said:

Anyone got any insight on choosing between Fletcher and American SIS? They both gave me the most in funding so....IDK!

Any advice on how to ask for more money?

Go to Fletcher - easy choice. Much better education experience, community environment, and brand. I would try to play hard ball and leverage one scholarship over the other .

On 3/31/2020 at 1:56 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

1. Last time, a lot of people managed to handle the recession by plowing into government jobs of sorts and shapes (Obama administration still kept the Federal government well staffed). Some people resorted random admin jobs at military bases. Others managed to Presidential Merit Fellow (PMFs) and back then it was super competitive. This worked for a lot of people. 

The problem now is that President Trump has taken out a lot of government non-defense funding and even the military is in an aggressive cost cutting mode (for example, the Marine Corps is going to be shrinking), so this option will no longer be as strong. The PMF program is still viable and still a good program, but it has lost a lot of its luster as it simply isn't as competitive anymore.

2. There may still be opportunities within the private sector with IR/security related matters, but given how the stock market has been battered, that may be difficult too as companies seek to cut costs. Regardless, Fletcher isn't exactly the prime place to set up for such work. Granted it might have some special connections with certain organizations, the Fletcher brand doesn't go that far outside of IR. Also, by virtue of location and logistics, its rather difficult for Fletcher folks to have experential learning with innovation oriented private sector activities compared to other urban policy/IR schools. 

3. Since Fletcher does have a really tight knit community, I found it interesting that everyone was collectively freaking out together... but what wasn't happening was a can do attitude (this is what I saw... I'm sure someone else has a different opinion... but FYI). I think this is a function of Fletcher just being more isolated in its own space and grooms is a rather in group culture. I mean the pro is that you have a fiercely loyal alum base. The con is that the floating of new ideas and creative solutions to win against an economy wasn't that much the talk of the town. 

Damn, so do you think the efficacy/utility of a Fletcher degree is really that diminished in this current economic downswing to the point where it would be unwise to attend? Curious to hear others' thoughts on this as well. I've thought about deferring grad school for a year due to this crisis but I don't know what to do...

49 minutes ago, whatdoesthismean said:

Damn, so do you think the efficacy/utility of a Fletcher degree is really that diminished in this current economic downswing to the point where it would be unwise to attend? Curious to hear others' thoughts on this as well. I've thought about deferring grad school for a year due to this crisis but I don't know what to do...

I mean, I don't now your situation and your interests. For me personally, I crossed off Fletcher from my list early (I think it was the first to go)... and I applied during a booming economy (last year of Obama administration). However... I did graduate during a Trump administration, and I saw the writing on the wall about working in government so pivoted to private sector + local/state government. However, Georgetown (as a University) allows for that flexibility. Tufts/Fletcher can say they do with the Harvard/MIT consortium... but they can't provide  it to a level I am comfortable with organically... and that makes a meaningful difference.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

I'm not applying this cycle but wanted to note how much money they must be spending on marketing this cycle. I get endless YouTube Ads (literally after pretty much every video), Emails and so on. Inescapable! 

That doesn't mean it isn't effective... I've just seen those videos dozens of times now. 

Edited by EscapingBrexit

1 hour ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I'm not applying this cycle but wanted to note how much money they must be spending on marketing this cycle. I get endless YouTube Ads (literally after pretty much every video), Emails and so on. Inescapable! 

That doesn't mean it isn't effective... I've just seen those videos dozens of times now. 

A lot of schools are spending money on seeking students because they aren't hitting their student quota. Normally in a recession more people will seek to go to grad school to ride it out. However, due to concerns about being to attend class in person and the value of doing class at least partially in the fall, the acquisition of students has been a struggle for any schools. 

This might make applying next cycle more competitive because a lot of people are seeking to defer, thereby a creating a more narrow band of slots to compete for later on. 

3 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

A lot of schools are spending money on seeking students because they aren't hitting their student quota. Normally in a recession more people will seek to go to grad school to ride it out. However, due to concerns about being to attend class in person and the value of doing class at least partially in the fall, the acquisition of students has been a struggle for any schools. 

This might make applying next cycle more competitive because a lot of people are seeking to defer, thereby a creating a more narrow band of slots to compete for later on. 

Yes these are interesting times. They have extended their application deadline until May 1st, so maybe they are struggling a bit more than other schools. 

23 hours ago, whatdoesthismean said:

Random q, but does Fletcher not give need-based aid? I have my merit offer and have submitted FAFSA but the language on the website makes it seem like just PhDs get grant awards?? I'm going to email them but figured I'd ask here too since y'all are such an excellent resource!

from what i know, fletcher does not give need-based aid. the only thing that you can get from need-based are: federal work-study and unsubsidized loans. there are no need-based aid at the federal level, and institutional level for fletcher. but, pls do negotiate. they increased my offer by $12k total when i asked. 

On 4/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, graduate2020 said:

from what i know, fletcher does not give need-based aid. the only thing that you can get from need-based are: federal work-study and unsubsidized loans. there are no need-based aid at the federal level, and institutional level for fletcher. but, pls do negotiate. they increased my offer by $12k total when i asked. 

Thanks so much :) and wow that's amazing that you were able to negotiate $12k more!

• 3 months later...

Anyone have an idea how difficult it is to get into their PhD program?  Given that it isn't funded, I sort of assume the admissions stringency is more comparable to other professional MA programs (ie cash cows) than to funded PhDs, but I could be off base there.

2 hours ago, Acrimonia said:

Anyone have an idea how difficult it is to get into their PhD program?  Given that it isn't funded, I sort of assume the admissions stringency is more comparable to other professional MA programs (ie cash cows) than to funded PhDs, but I could be off base there.

If it’s not fully funded, that is a huge red flag....

22 hours ago, Acrimonia said:

True, but I'd be on the GI bill, so meh.

Well, money is one thing,  although I knowthen

maximum you can receive for a GI Bill, is 2.5 to 3 years.. The other, and just important, is what do you want to do with the PhD...if it’s academia, it is still a red flag.

5 hours ago, Boolakanaka said:

Well, money is one thing,  although I knowthen

maximum you can receive for a GI Bill, is 2.5 to 3 years.. The other, and just important, is what do you want to do with the PhD...if it’s academia, it is still a red flag.

Oh, I have no illusions about getting into academia (except maybe as an adjunct as a side thing down the road).  I'm just angling towards more research based roles in the future, and looking for a way to move ahead in the rat race should my career stall for one reason or another.  A second master's in applied statistics would probably be more useful for most purposes, I am sure.