Last minute waitlist miracles, anyone?

limeinthecoconut

<br />I'm waiting for a miracle too. I can at least keep you company.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

When I was on a waitlist (I removed my name and comitted, well, look at my signature), the DGS there didn't make it seem like would hear anything till 15th at the soonest, and seems like a lot of people have turned down offers elsewhere. So buck up kiddos. Either way there is always next year. This was my second try and intervening year gave me time to strengthen my app.

*gasp* I just learned that someone's turning down NYU's Judaic Studies program. Her announcement on FB just... I felt like I slammed my brakes when I saw her final decision. I wrote congrats and that if I ever get off this waitlist, I will thank her forever and ever.

I'm still hoping for some miracle as well (just as anyone!). I am not too terribly worried about next time given how much I've accomplished since submitting my applications in December. And as Riotbeard said on another thread, I will be VERY hungry and will do what I can to make myself quite irresistible that they just can't turn me down easily.

Do you believe in miracles...YES!!

Just got the email from Brandeis! I've been accepted off the waitlist!

That's WONDERFUL, congratulations! I have a friend who goes there undergrad and absolutely loves it. I've visited the campus before, it's really beautiful. Very happy for you :) Edited by chickadee21

Congrats!!!!!

Enjoy the fat stipend ;) Sorry that I won't be seeing you in the fall but enjoy Boston/Cambridge!

Next week should be the week. For many schools, today is the deadline, so allow a few days for mail and things should start rolling next week.

Very nice! Congratulations :)

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

CONGRATULATIONS! I have been hoping you would get good news.

*gasp* I just learned that someone's turning down NYU's Judaic Studies program. Her announcement on FB just... I felt like I slammed my brakes when I saw her final decision. I wrote congrats and that if I ever get off this waitlist, I will thank her forever and ever.

I'm still hoping for some miracle as well (just as anyone!). I am not too terribly worried about next time given how much I've accomplished since submitting my applications in December. And as Riotbeard said on another thread, I will be VERY hungry and will do what I can to make myself quite irresistible that they just can't turn me down easily.

Wow, so NYU might really happen....I really hope it works out for you!

Woah a Brandeis friend!!! I mentioned before that I'm going for modern European and French history... what do you work on/who's your advisor going to be? I'll PM you... So exciting! I hope my little bit of reconnaissance in that other thread made you more confident, not less...

-Drew

Well, I hate to be a downer, but looks like there's no miracles for me this year... Just got the email that Chicago has filled its cohort and I'm not in it.

Although I can't complain too much, because - hey - I actually made it onto the U Chicago wait list. I practically consider that a win in itself!

Well, I hate to be a downer, but looks like there's no miracles for me this year... Just got the email that Chicago has filled its cohort and I'm not in it.

Although I can't complain too much, because - hey - I actually made it onto the U Chicago wait list. I practically consider that a win in itself!

That is definitely an accomplishment, and you should be proud of yourself. And you should definitely apply there again next year! Maybe they can offer you some advice on how to improve application gaps, etc. And, if it wasn't a recession, you would have been in the cohort - so keep that in mind too :)

I don’t have a waitlist story, but perhaps this counts as a last-minute miracle.

It’s not official yet, but a few weeks ago my MA supervisor got me in touch with a good friend of his who was looking for a PhD student- I was planning to wait a year before applying anywhere, and I never dreamed I would get funding in the UK...but, long story short, things are looking good- she seems interested, and wants to bring me over to visit the department. I never thought things like this could happen so unofficially (this has really only happened because of personal connections), or so last-second...so perhaps anything is possible?

Edited by Matilda_Tone

No miracle for me at Indiana :( The DGS e-mailed me personally (as well as my PA there who followed up to my e-mail (basically begging to get off)) to tell me the news. They're all full for the fall. As I say, "DAMN YOU ECONOMY!"

NYU... it would seriously be a miracle.

But otherwise, the books are closed for the time being.

No miracle for me at Indiana :( The DGS e-mailed me personally (as well as my PA there who followed up to my e-mail (basically begging to get off)) to tell me the news. They're all full for the fall. As I say, "DAMN YOU ECONOMY!"

NYU... it would seriously be a miracle.

But otherwise, the books are closed for the time being.

I can empathize . . . . hoping for good news from NYU!

I can empathize . . . . hoping for good news from NYU!

Thanks. I e-mailed two NYU professors last night and one of them told the DGS. The DGS e-mailed me this morning telling me that everyone had responded and they're not taking anyone off the waitlist. But he did offer me the MA... My thought was, "DGS, read my CV." :lol: I don't need two MAs in same subject! (Also this department is notorious for not taking their own MA students which is why I did NOT apply there for the MA when I knew it was my ultimate goal to get a PhD there).

Closing my books and then going on a long vacation from the academia! But as others have said I will be back given these contacts with NYU and Indiana allowing me to keep my faith in the admissions process.

Great news!!!!!!!!!!! I had been hoping that Brandeis would pull you off the waitlist, and am excited for your good fortune! Good luck!

Sorry to hear that things did not work out with Chicago. Are you attending Wisconsin?

Thanks. I e-mailed two NYU professors last night and one of them told the DGS. The DGS e-mailed me this morning telling me that everyone had responded and they're not taking anyone off the waitlist. But he did offer me the MA... My thought was, "DGS, read my CV." :lol: I don't need two MAs in same subject! (Also this department is notorious for not taking their own MA students which is why I did NOT apply there for the MA when I knew it was my ultimate goal to get a PhD there).

Closing my books and then going on a long vacation from the academia! But as others have said I will be back given these contacts with NYU and Indiana allowing me to keep my faith in the admissions process.

Sorry to hear this. I had really hope you would hear something positive. Still, I trust that the contacts you have made will prove beneficial to you in the future.

Congrats to those of you bumped up off watilists. Regrets to those who have not. There's always next year, and a waitlist is a heartening thing. Think of it like those old computer certificates you used to get for being "the most versatile fullback" in soccer in first grade. It may not be a trophy, but you're on the right path. I am still unable to join either the jubiliation group or the disappointed group, which seems really weird. Maybe the next day or so? The longer it goes, the more likely they chickened out and sent a form rejection letter.

Best of luck to those still floating in the breeze B).