Help for a Hopeful SLP

Hi! I am somewhat new to the idea of pursuing SLP, and I've been doing a ton of research but am just feeling more overwhelmed and stressed out the more I try to learn. This site has come up a few times during my research and has been helpful, so I figured I'd see if anyone here would have a few tips/help me find direction! 

I'm a junior in an education program, but only really found out through shadowing this year that I want to pursue SLP. Unfortunately, CSD is not a major here. Without a CSD background, I was ideally hoping to find a 3-year program that I could do the year of pre-reqs at the same school, instead of doing a post-bacc and hoping to get into grad programs after. I haven't taken the GRE yet (I'll be doing that this summer) but my college GPA right now is a 3.7. I chose my school for the experience and although I love it, I put myself into a lot of debt that I really regret. That being said, I would love some recommendations of lower-cost grad schools that ideally have a 3-year track for those with non-CSD backgrounds. I am a current resident of Colorado, and there are only two programs here, both very competitive.

So I guess my main question is: Does anyone have recommendations of lower-cost schools with a 3-year track? Possibly schools where out-of-state students can get a tuition waiver, or that offer a lot of scholarships/GA opportunities? Anything to offset the cost. I would also consider moving somewhere to establish residency if there are some places where that would be a good option. I really want to pursue SLP but I need to minimize debt as I unfortunately chose a really expensive undergrad school! I'm new to this world and trying not to get discouraged by the costs and the competitiveness, and instead just make a plan of places to apply that make the most sense financially/for someone out-of-field. Any suggestions/help/encouragement would be so appreciated!! Sorry this was so long but thank you in advance!!! 

Hey! My school didn't have a CSD or SLP major either, but I was able to take some of my pre-reqs at a different college through a consortium. I couldn't get them all done in time, so I only applied to three year programs. Cost is also an issue for me, so I looked at programs that might have some funding available. Syracuse offered me 30 credit hours of funding (which would be about half my program), Temple allows you to apply for TA positions to offset the cost (but you have to commit to the school in mid April, and won't know if you got the TA position until May), Maine offered me a partial scholarship and reduced tuition for being a New England resident (doesn't apply to you, but I think some schools do a western exchange thing where you can pay in-state tuition) Purdue (where I'm most likely attending) has several Research Assistant/teaching assistant opportunities and I was told that many of the SLP grad students who actively pursue funding are able to find some. I'd also recommend using ASHA's Ed find tool and searching for programs with no pre-reqs, you can then visit the websites of the programs individually to figure out more about their cost etc. I hope some of this was helpful to you, good luck!! 

Hello! 

I am also an out-of-field student. All of the schools listed in my signature include extended programs for those who did not major in CSD (ranging from 1 semester to an additional year). I know Georgia State offers tons of tuition waivers and graduate assistantships for their accepted students! A lot of the students I spoke with said that a great majority of their class has their education funded. It is an extremely affordable option. Hope this helps :)

Hi! It is easy to look at others stats on this site and feel super stressed, it was for me too. I would look up potential schools and compare myself to the stats of those who have gotten in in the past and it always made me feel like I would never get in. My GPA is similar to yours and I had super average GRE scores, but I got in the first time around! It felt amazing and all it took was a lot of hard work and the ability to stop comparing myself to others (as much as possible) and focus on how much I want to be an SLP. I think your GPA is just fine. For the GRE, it helped me the most to take practice tests. I used the website "Crunchprep" for the GRE and if I remember correctly, you get one free test just for signing up so I would go somewhere quiet, put my phone away, and literally act like I was taking the real thing. 

As far as cost goes, I don't think it would be a bad idea to preemptively reach out to programs/current students and try to guestimate some cost stuff as much as possible. Sometimes schools will get enough funding to offer a percentage off of tuition for all students one year, some years they may have more work study or GA openings, it all depends but that's where it is important to give yourself options. You will get a degree and become an SLP no matter the school, so if you prioritize cost then just keep that in mind!

Best of luck and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. You will be just fine! Hope this helps.

Hey!! I was actually in the exact same situation. I graduated with an education degree. I know you’re looking for a 3 year track and I did that as well, I attended Radford University as this was a cheap school with a 3 year program. However I am looking for a new school because it wasn’t a good fit. I regretted it and I wish I had just completed the required prerequisites through an online university that would have been even cheaper. Longwood university is in Virginia but offers all of the SLP prerequisites online. I was also an out of state student and the cost was very cheap for these courses! Once you get those prerequisites, there are so many more options for 2 year programs and you’re more likely to get a GA in a 2 year program. 

The school I'm attending, SJSU, offers a 3-year Extended Masters program, I'm not sure if they are but look into WICHE programs that may offer in-state tuition because you're a Colorado resident. I'm a California resident and qualified for WICHE in-state at UNCo when I applied. 
Let me know if you have any questions about the program! 

Edited by slptobe!

I'm currently an out-of-state student at LSU. A lot of the students have GAs! They have a leveling track (we call that group fast trackers) for those who need lots of prereqs.

Edited by Gkj _ Speech

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, slptobe! said:

The school I'm attending, SJSU, offers a 3-year Extended Masters program, I'm not sure if they are but look into WICHE programs that may offer in-state tuition because you're a Colorado resident. I'm a California resident and qualified for WICHE in-state at UNCo when I applied. 
Let me know if you have any questions about the program! 

Hi! You got into a lot of the grad schools I want to apply to. I'm looking for a suitable post-bacc program and was wondering if you majored in Speech Pathology or did a post-bacc. If you got a post-bacc, what school? Thank you!

On 8/3/2020 at 8:16 PM, gigislp said:

Hi! You got into a lot of the grad schools I want to apply to. I'm looking for a suitable post-bacc program and was wondering if you majored in Speech Pathology or did a post-bacc. If you got a post-bacc, what school? Thank you!

Hi! I majored in SLHS at my undergrad. But if you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me with them!