Accepted & Attending -- Now What?

yeeboi

Hi guys,

After months of stress and hard work, I got into a program I'm extremely excited about. Now I want to plan for the move and transition to grad school. Are there any resources or checklists you guys have found useful for this? And I mean the whole nine yards--apartment searching, what to pack (I'll be moving out of state for the first time), useful materials for classes, phone apps, etc. I'm so bored being quarantined and out of a job, so I want to work on something productive lol

Once your program begins you'll have very little free time to focus on anything else. So perhaps this time could be used cultivating/enjoying the hobbies that bring you joy? I know it's tempting to jump ahead, but it's also a gift to be able to control your time and attention. Congrats on the acceptance and I hope you can appreciate the next few months of freedom!

3 hours ago, yeeboi said:

Hi guys,

After months of stress and hard work, I got into a program I'm extremely excited about. Now I want to plan for the move and transition to grad school. Are there any resources or checklists you guys have found useful for this? And I mean the whole nine yards--apartment searching, what to pack (I'll be moving out of state for the first time), useful materials for classes, phone apps, etc. I'm so bored being quarantined and out of a job, so I want to work on something productive lol

Hey! I'm also moving across country, though not for the first time.  When thinking about what to pack, my main suggestion is purge, purge, then purge again! Don't move anything you haven't worn, used, etc in the past 12 months (or less). As for furniture and such, do a little research into moving costs - it may be cheaper to replace your furniture when you get where you're going vs moving it. 

If you can, I would say email a current grad student or two wherever you are headed and ask about things like technology requirements, or suggestions about where to live, shop, etc. They are more likely to respond sooner, and have a better idea about how to live on the stipend :) 

Congrats on your acceptance!

I 100% appreciate @PsychPhdBound comment about enjoying the moment, tapping into hobbies, and relishing the peace and quiet for the next few months! Totally on board with that. I can also see the other side of concern in terms of committing your time towards something that excites you such as planning for grad school - this seems especially important to do something that might bring you joy during this crazy time. Sometimes if I want to whet my need to prep for school, I'll go on Zillow or Craigslist and look at home/apt. listings. But even still, March might be too early to do that. I'd mostly recommend asking your PI for current students' emails and getting in contact with them regarding community resources and their own personal suggestions for how to prepare. 

But also... don't forget to take time to be lazy, binge Netflix, talk to loved ones, maybe some a couple plants and nurture them... whatever it takes to keep yourself safe and occupied during this time while also being kind to yourself and slowing down.

20 hours ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

I 100% appreciate @PsychPhdBound comment about enjoying the moment, tapping into hobbies, and relishing the peace and quiet for the next few months! Totally on board with that. I can also see the other side of concern in terms of committing your time towards something that excites you such as planning for grad school - this seems especially important to do something that might bring you joy during this crazy time. Sometimes if I want to whet my need to prep for school, I'll go on Zillow or Craigslist and look at home/apt. listings. But even still, March might be too early to do that. I'd mostly recommend asking your PI for current students' emails and getting in contact with them regarding community resources and their own personal suggestions for how to prepare. 

But also... don't forget to take time to be lazy, binge Netflix, talk to loved ones, maybe some a couple plants and nurture them... whatever it takes to keep yourself safe and occupied during this time while also being kind to yourself and slowing down.

Find out if March is too early to look at housing from current students.

In some markets, specifically college towns, this is actually the prime time for leasing for August 1st move-in dates.