CGS-M 2020 - 2021 Results

Sagesaga

On 4/26/2020 at 4:39 PM, stemcells said:

It varies by school, by year, and whether you're applying for NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC. 
I know each school has a pre-determined number of each that will be awarded to students at that school for any given year. Here is the link: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/cgsallocations-quotasbesc_eng.asp. If you're in Neuro at alberta I assume you're either NSERC or CIHR, which would be a competition for 61 or 24 awards respectively (this year). If my understanding is correct, the school first reviews applications internally producing an initial ranking, then sends the applications alongside rankings to NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC for the national competition. (Exception is for students applying from year-4 undergrad for 1st-year CGS-M; theirs get forwarded automatically to national). Then another selection process occurs, producing a second ranking which the school can then use to fulfill its allotted number of each award. Those that were deemed meritous but ranked below the allotted number are wait listed I think. I do not know what determines the length of a wait list. Hope that helps somewhat

Thanks!

22 hours ago, underthewaves said:

For those who were offered funding (firstly, congratulations!) - how did you decide when to start the funding? Like May 2020 or September 2020?

My situation may not be usual in that I am in the process of completing my first year. Thus, it made sense for me to start in May 2020. For others, who do not start until September, it may make more sense to have the funding start then. Others may need extra cash when it comes to arranging for accommodation (security deposit), moving costs, etc and so may decide to start the funding in May as well. I guess just depends on your needs and when you think you'll need the funds. 

Hello! Been following up on this thread for the last couple of weeks. appreciate everyone's updates. I am curious if more movement will be seen at the 21 day mark. we are approaching it, and I am on the alternate list at u of Manitoba. anybody from u of M? 

3 hours ago, EnergeticBacteria said:

Wondering if anyone knows if round 2 offers are also released at 8AM on May 6? Or can be any time that day? 

I think there isn't necessarily a second round so much as the next person on the wait list could get an offer any time if somebody declines. May 5th would be the last day someone could decline if offered on April 15th, assuming they count April 15th in the 21-day period. 

On 4/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, underthewaves said:

For those who were offered funding (firstly, congratulations!) - how did you decide when to start the funding? Like May 2020 or September 2020?

I'm an incoming student at UBC and was told that I could only start receiving funding in September 2020 because I'm not yet a registered in courses. I think for students going into second year it's at their discretion/based on their personal needs if they want to start in May or September.

After passing the 21 day margin of time for accepting or declining offers, is the chance for receiving an offer on the alternate list low?

It's becoming very annoying and distressing to check the research portal every day and know nothing about your rank, chances of being offered and even time of being offered. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

3 hours ago, MROUHI said:

After passing the 21 day margin of time for accepting or declining offers, is the chance for receiving an offer on the alternate list low?

It's becoming very annoying and distressing to check the research portal every day and know nothing about your rank, chances of being offered and even time of being offered. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi there. I am also in the same boat. Things are getting pretty confusing and frustrating. I have also not heard anything from Western on the alternates. I am kind of now getting off this practice of checking portal as its not helping. I hope that conclusion are received prior we lose hope on this. Its better to have known the conclusion rather than just wait for it indefinite.

Just got a notification that I've been offered the CGS-M! I'm assuming that this means that the alternates are moving along the list. I'm at York University in the Department of Biology if it matters.

I also emailed the faculty of graduate studies at my school a few weeks ago to ask for my waitlist rank, but they never replied. I wish they would release that information.

13 hours ago, johnvln said:

Just got a notification that I've been offered the CGS-M! I'm assuming that this means that the alternates are moving along the list. I'm at York University in the Department of Biology if it matters.

I also emailed the faculty of graduate studies at my school a few weeks ago to ask for my waitlist rank, but they never replied. I wish they would release that information.

Congrats! That sounds great. 

Yes, it is very hard to wait for something that your not sure has a positive outcome. Anyways best of luck for you.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MROUHI said:

Hello,

Is it time to lose hope and say that there is no chance for us on the alternate list to receive the offer?

Sorry this has happened to you - I was also waitlisted for my first CGS-M application a few years back and didn't get off of it. I know the uncertainty/radio silence is brutal, especially at times like this where there's lots of time to dwell on things.

As you know, the purely logical thing to do would be to assume that ship has sailed, and to start thinking about how you can improve your application to this or other opportunities in the future (understanding, of course, that results are also just a matter of luck sometimes).

However...

I think that there is never truly "no chance" because the waitlist persists indefinitely - so for example if somebody has to withdraw from their program and relinquish the CGS-M, it may fall to you. I have received (other) awards from that exact thing happening. Given the current uncertainty about how universities are going to proceed in the fall, I'd say there is a higher-than-usual chance of some shakeups taking place. I'm not saying this to encourage false hope, but just to point out that they didn't outright reject you and that means you'll continue to be in play for this for a while. So my (unsolicited) advice is to be realistic and move on as best you can, but keep some tiny bit of hope burning somewhere.

Edited by angrycrustacean

4 hours ago, angrycrustacean said:

Sorry this has happened to you - I was also waitlisted for my first CGS-M application a few years back and didn't get off of it. I know the uncertainty/radio silence is brutal, especially at times like this where there's lots of time to dwell on things.

As you know, the purely logical thing to do would be to assume that ship has sailed, and to start thinking about how you can improve your application to this or other opportunities in the future (understanding, of course, that results are also just a matter of luck sometimes).

However...

I think that there is never truly "no chance" because the waitlist persists indefinitely - so for example if somebody has to withdraw from their program and relinquish the CGS-M, it may fall to you. I have received (other) awards from that exact thing happening. Given the current uncertainty about how universities are going to proceed in the fall, I'd say there is a higher-than-usual chance of some shakeups taking place. I'm not saying this to encourage false hope, but just to point out that they didn't outright reject you and that means you'll continue to be in play for this for a while. So my (unsolicited) advice is to be realistic and move on as best you can, but keep some tiny bit of hope burning somewhere.

Thanks so much for your very good advice. It's very nice to use some experience from people who have gone through this. I am a last semester Mechanical Engineering student and will try to get on with my current courses and have more concentration on it. At the same time I will try to strengthen myself so that I can hopefully be lucky next time and receive the award. 

Thanks again for the advice :)

On 5/22/2020 at 6:43 PM, MROUHI said:

Hello,

Is it time to lose hope and say that there is no chance for us on the alternate list to receive the offer?

I think there is still hope! For instance, McGill University said this in an email to me recently, about the alternate lists - "This process can take place between April 2020 and January 2021 with the bulk of offers typically being made over the course of the summer."

Hang in there!

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, CiaraMeow said:

For those who are still waiting, I was just offered an award off the alternate list at UBC yesterday. So things are still moving along there. 

Congrats!!! That's amazing!  

• 4 months later...

Hate to revive an old thread, but wanted to share some good news. I cleared the alternate list at McGill University this week and was awarded a CGS-M! I honestly accepted the fact that I didn't get the award since it's been ~7 months, but good news can come at the most odd times sometimes!