CGS-M 2020 - 2021 Results

Sagesaga

34 minutes ago, aussie98 said:

For those on the alternate list, my friend was an alternate at McMaster yesterday and today received an updated offer status. So it's definitely possible to hear back any time! Best of luck to everyone

That's great! Congrats to them. 

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if other unis do this? Or will they wait to ~May 6 to upload new offers?

1 hour ago, JohnGalt@99 said:

I guess its the overall waiting list in the University and proportion of students declining for UofCal. I am at the same situation for Western. I believe there may not be a thumb rule or go no-go formulations, but highly subjective. We have to wait till the first round of acceptance is over and alternates are pushed upwards. From what I hear or understand from forums, it may be done in a week's time or it may go on for 3-4 months also. 

Let's hope this wait gets over soon and we all are out of this curious time.

Fingers crossed and good luck to you.

I just hope this wait ends ASAP. It's taking too long! 

6 hours ago, aussie98 said:

For those on the alternate list, my friend was an alternate at McMaster yesterday and today received an updated offer status. So it's definitely possible to hear back any time! Best of luck to everyone

Thats a very positive news. Hopefully Western also starts doing the same. Hope is still alive. Lets hope that all on alternate gets their slot at the earliest possible as this example. Its such a relief once you are out of this waiting period. Great and congratulations to your friend. He must be very happy by now.

Congratulations to all those who received offers! 

I applied for the CGS-M SSHRC and am currently an alternate at the University of Alberta. I have been told I am number 9/26. It would be helpful to know whether any other alternates have received an offer as of yet. While I am unsure of whether my rank is competitive, I have heard that some schools eventually send offers to 1/3rd-1/2 of the alternate list. Does anyone have any experience with this?

10 hours ago, NeuroAlberta said:

Congratulations to all those who received offers! 

I applied for the CGS-M SSHRC and am currently an alternate at the University of Alberta. I have been told I am number 9/26. It would be helpful to know whether any other alternates have received an offer as of yet. While I am unsure of whether my rank is competitive, I have heard that some schools eventually send offers to 1/3rd-1/2 of the alternate list. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hello,

I reached out to the Faculty Graduate Studies of the University of Calgary where I am an alternate but didn't receive an answer on what my standing is in the Alternate list. Can you give me some guidance on where I should reach out to get the result?

Thanks

11 hours ago, MROUHI said:

Hello,

I reached out to the Faculty Graduate Studies of the University of Calgary where I am an alternate but didn't receive an answer on what my standing is in the Alternate list. Can you give me some guidance on where I should reach out to get the result?

Thanks

Hi,

I did the same and reached out to the awards office at the Faculty of Graduate studies at the U of A. Also, their letter to me had my rank on it. 

As an update, I received notification that I had moved from alternate status to 'offer' status a couple of hours ago. So I'd say be hopeful as the list is moving along! 

20 minutes ago, NeuroAlberta said:

Hi,

I did the same and reached out to the awards office at the Faculty of Graduate studies at the U of A. Also, their letter to me had my rank on it. 

As an update, I received notification that I had moved from alternate status to 'offer' status a couple of hours ago. So I'd say be hopeful as the list is moving along! 

Congrats!

1 hour ago, NeuroAlberta said:

Hi,

Congrats! And this is also very encouraging for me - I'm 12th on the U of A's list and was wondering if that was too far down. Now feeling a bit more optimistic. :) 

3 hours ago, NeuroAlberta said:

Hi,

Congrats !

Feels so bad to not know my rank and how much my chances are.

7 minutes ago, MROUHI said:

Congrats !

Feels so bad to not know my rank and how much my chances are.

I am also in the same boat as yours. No idea for my rank at Western and just waiting with fingers crossed. Oh god, hope this wait gets over soon. It consumes lot of space in mind in order keeping waiting for the results. Instead of this, they can always say that there is no chance and is not offered. That way atleast we will be clear on the further way forwards.

18 hours ago, JohnGalt@99 said:

I am also in the same boat as yours. No idea for my rank at Western and just waiting with fingers crossed. Oh god, hope this wait gets over soon. It consumes lot of space in mind in order keeping waiting for the results. Instead of this, they can always say that there is no chance and is not offered. That way atleast we will be clear on the further way forwards.

I am with you there!  I am in program at Guelph, and they don't tell you where you sit on the waiting list.  So agonizing hahahahaha.

I too am an alternate at Western. I have a general question for anyone who may know:

I recently read that your supervisor decides how much of NSERC CGS-M or OGS prize money goes to you (the student). It is my understanding that typically the award ends up just funding your tuition, and also replacing your TA- and supervisor's contributions to your stipend. So most winners of NSERC or OGS only end up seeing a few thousand extra overall than they would have received with their stipend alone because the supervisor voluntarily tops you up as a pat on the back.

Is this true, or would a recipient actually receive the entire $17.5k or $15k for NSERC CGS-M or OGS, respectively?

Just now, stemcells said:

I too am an alternate at Western. I have a general question for anyone who may know:

I recently read that your supervisor decides how much of NSERC CGS-M or OGS prize money goes to you (the student). It is my understanding that typically the award ends up just funding your tuition, and also replacing your TA- and supervisor's contributions to your stipend. So most winners of NSERC or OGS only end up seeing a few thousand extra overall than they would have received with their stipend alone because the supervisor voluntarily tops you up as a pat on the back.

Is this true, or would a recipient actually receive the entire $17.5k or $15k for NSERC CGS-M or OGS, respectively?

It varies by institution. When I held CGS-M at Memorial University, I got to keep the $17.5k without affecting my existing funding, and the university automatically topped me up with a further $5k scholarship. 

...however, now that I’m at UofT holding a doctoral OGS, my department was just like “cool, that’s 15k of funding that we no longer have to pay you, thanks!!!”

I get the impression that the latter case is more typical in Ontario schools, but it would be worth clarifying with your particular institution. I didn’t realize the situation with my OGS until several weeks after winning, and that really sucked. 

5 minutes ago, angrycrustacean said:

It varies by institution. When I held CGS-M at Memorial University, I got to keep the $17.5k without affecting my existing funding, and the university automatically topped me up with a further $5k scholarship. 

...however, now that I’m at UofT holding a doctoral OGS, my department was just like “cool, that’s 15k of funding that we no longer have to pay you, thanks!!!”

I get the impression that the latter case is more typical in Ontario schools, but it would be worth clarifying with your particular institution. I didn’t realize the situation with my OGS until several weeks after winning, and that really sucked. 

Yes, it is my impression too that the larger Ontario schools like Western, Toronto, etc. may just use the funds to pay FOR you rather than award you (much) extra.
I will try to clarify with Western. In the meantime if anybody already knows and is willing to share I am all ears!

FOLLOW-UP Question: In your case, when UofT decided to use the $15k from OGS to pay for your regular stipend, were you relieved of TA duties with the same funding value? I hear this happens in some cases.

Edited by stemcells

21 minutes ago, stemcells said:

FOLLOW-UP Question: In your case, when UofT decided to use the $15k from OGS to pay for your regular stipend, were you relieved of TA duties with the same funding value? I hear this happens in some cases.

I was relieved of the obligation to do TA hours, but I was still allowed to take on TAships and get paid hourly - the university framed that as their generous gift to me, but at the end of the day it didn’t make me anywhere close to the value of the OGS.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, stemcells said:

I held OGS this year @ Guelph, and I was allowed to keep all my existing funding.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, NeuroAlberta said:

Sorry off topic, but does anyone have any idea how many applications they receive for these CGS-M awards? Thanks!

It varies by school, by year, and whether you're applying for NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC. 
I know each school has a pre-determined number of each that will be awarded to students at that school for any given year. Here is the link: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/cgsallocations-quotasbesc_eng.asp. If you're in Neuro at alberta I assume you're either NSERC or CIHR, which would be a competition for 61 or 24 awards respectively (this year). If my understanding is correct, the school first reviews applications internally producing an initial ranking, then sends the applications alongside rankings to NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC for the national competition. (Exception is for students applying from year-4 undergrad for 1st-year CGS-M; theirs get forwarded automatically to national). Then another selection process occurs, producing a second ranking which the school can then use to fulfill its allotted number of each award. Those that were deemed meritous but ranked below the allotted number are wait listed I think. I do not know what determines the length of a wait list. Hope that helps somewhat

On 4/24/2020 at 12:03 PM, stemcells said:

What kind of degree are you doing? Is it a thesis-based masters in a science field and do you get a stipend?

Thesis, including internal scholarships, research stipend, and guaranteed TA work.  Not in natural sciences though!

44 minutes ago, stemcells said:

That is encouraging! Hopefully science faculties act similarly then. Thanks for sharing :)

Haven't received an award yet but when I asked they said I would be allowed to keep all my funding sources (TA/RA) if I wished. This is under a faculty of science.

6 hours ago, SPIWizard said:

Haven't received an award yet but when I asked they said I would be allowed to keep all my funding sources (TA/RA) if I wished. This is under a faculty of science.

Nice, what school is this if you don't mind me asking?