MPH 2021 Canada

For international students, what kinda stat course do they expect from us? I believe many universities don't accept Coursera certificates.. Can someone suggest any good statistics beginner courses that can get us entry ticket into Canadian universities for international students? Please? 

1 hour ago, Canadaapplicant said:

For international students, what kinda stat course do they expect from us? I believe many universities don't accept Coursera certificates.. Can someone suggest any good statistics beginner courses that can get us entry ticket into Canadian universities for international students? Please? 

You can do stats course from Athabasca university. This is accepted by most universities in Canada.

47 minutes ago, Canadaapplicant said:

Is there any legit online courses that are accepted? 

13 hours ago, MedMPH said:

You can do stats course from Athabasca university. This is accepted by most universities in Canada.

As MedMPH said, Athabasca University's statistics course is accepted by most universities in Canada and is a legitimate online course. You can find the syllabus here: https://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math215.php 

At U of T for instance, MATH215 transfers to be equivalent to STA220, the standard undergraduate introductory statistics course taken by most life sciences students.

29 minutes ago, PumpkinPie101 said:

As MedMPH said, Athabasca University's statistics course is accepted by most universities in Canada and is a legitimate online course. You can find the syllabus here: https://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math215.php 

At U of T for instance, MATH215 transfers to be equivalent to STA220, the standard undergraduate introductory statistics course taken by most life sciences students.

Wonderful... Thanks a lot!! 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:20 AM, Aiza said:

Hey, you have amazing stats. Would it be possible for you to share your loi?

honestly I have lost hope to get in this year since I can’t compete with all the amazing applicants. 

Thinking of some other masters program in canada. I’m a international dental graduate. Can anyone suggest me other non clinical options in my case. 

I’ll share the general formula I used for most of my LOI:

Intro: I am writing to you to express my interest in applying _____. My experiences have led me to this degree.

First Paragraph: Experience

- My exposure to public health via undergrad.

- Habitat for Humanity to make a positive impact on the housing insecurity crisis in Alabama.

- Skills I gained from researching with two profs.

- I decided to complete a thesis project.

Second Paragraph: Butter them up a little + tell them how their program will help you

- I read up about the program on their website and mentioned courses that would help me succeed in my career.

Conclusion:

- Summarize the two body paragraphs and tell them what I can do for their program (i.e. how I plan to contribute to the student body and program). 

30 minutes ago, moonjar said:

Some people in the 2019 MPH Canada forum received an offer of admission from UofT Health Promo before the end of March... fingers crossed, but at this point I just wanna know their decision so I can make my decision ?

they were delayed this year I believe 

On 3/28/2021 at 11:34 AM, SparklersG said:

For those who are particularly interested in the MPH - Epi stream, in your opinion, do you think chances of finding a career within the field of epidemiology is higher when you complete a program that specifically specializes in that field like UofT (MPH - Epidemiology) for instance or would the MPH programs at Guelph or McMaster give you equal an equal chance as well, since they give you the opportunity to take a good amount of courses in Epi as well.  

It depends where you want to work. If you want to stay in the Toronto networks, an MPH from uoft will help way more. Also, the MPH at uoft has two Practicum which means double the work experience. A lot of people end up doing their practicums in gov work & get hired once they graduate. From my experience, uoft grads are valued more (whether Epi or health promo) but it also depends on your work experience.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:26 AM, Mphh21 said:

Anyone know strengths and weaknesses between the following programs:

Guelph MPH

Queen’s MPH

U of T MPH - Epi 

think it would be helpful for many people to start formulating a list

Wondering this too

Just now, Excel725 said:

What stats and experiences did you apply to UofT Epi with if you don't mind sharinggg

3.9 cgpa, 4.0 gpa in the last two years. Volunteer exp as a health promotion assistant with Diabetes Canada for a year, worked in a medical imaging clinic for 8 months, worked as a formal caregiver for older adults for five months, one pending pub on Indigenous maternal health. Got waitlisted by McMaster & I haven’t heard back from U of T or Waterloo...

wondering if anyone has had experience asking McMaster (or other universities) for an extension for accepting/declining their offer? and if so, how does one go about doing that? i'm still waiting on UofT but the deadline to accept McMaster is the end of this week :(

1 minute ago, jamie2547 said:

wondering if anyone has had experience asking McMaster (or other universities) for an extension for accepting/declining their offer? and if so, how does one go about doing that? i'm still waiting on UofT but the deadline to accept McMaster is the end of this week :(

are you waiting on UofT health promo? 

6 minutes ago, jamie2547 said:

I 100% understand the want to ask for an extension, and in any other research based program I (and everyone else) would say you can 100% ask for an extension. Programs like the MPH programs at Mac and UofT are SUPER competitive and we all know that they get hundreds of applicants and have very few spots. The schools also know this. In order to ask for an extension (which you can 100% do if  you want)  you just have to email them and ask.

BUT keep in mind that as soon as you do that, they know that they're not your top choice. The waitlist for Mac is filled with students who have Mac as their top (or only) choice and are waiting for people like you who were accepted to make up their minds. In my opinion, I would accept McMaster's offer, and then if you get into UofT, you can withdraw from Mac - this is very common with more competitive or professional programs (according to reddit). I don't think Mac makes you put down a deposit.  

I'm not trying to tell you what to do in any way, this is the etiquette I've read about on reddit for the more competitive programs. 

Congrats btw!