MPH 2021 Canada

22 hours ago, _kper1897 said:

Has anyone received their official offer from U of G as yet?

Congrats on getting the unofficial offer! :) I haven't received my official letter yet. Did you respond to the unofficial offer you received? 

1 hour ago, GingerDwight said:

Just got off the phone with Waterloo - they are SO nice, I just asked if they could give me any info on my status because I have a deadline in a few days to respond to a different program and she told me that the first offer did already go out, and that because they had over 600 applicants there were super overwhelmed and might have to create more spaces in the program.

She told me that after the first round (and responses) they made a waitlist which I am on, she said I wasn't denied which is good and that looking at my application and stats, had I applied any other year I would have been in the first round of offers. She couldn't tell me where exactly I was on the list but that I should expect to hear back over the next couple of weeks. 

For reference, my stats: 3.9 GPA last two years, b+ in stats, 2 first-author publications (in undergrad journals - topics: history of vaccine hesitancy and bioethical concerns of gene editing), TA (1 year) in science communication, and RA (1 year) in knowledge translation - research project was around public health policy development + implementation, and some extracurricular work with the university academic journals. 

These are awesome stats/backgrounds! You seem really well-rounded and would make a great fit to any program! :D 

22 minutes ago, mph wannabe said:

These are awesome stats/backgrounds! You seem really well-rounded and would make a great fit to any program! :D 

Aww thanks! It is a super competitive year so im not holding my breath

57 minutes ago, SparklersG said:

Congrats on getting the unofficial offer! :) I haven't received my official letter yet. Did you respond to the unofficial offer you received? 

Thank you very much! There was nothing to respond to in the unofficial offers I received from U of G and McMaster. 

I have not yet received my official offer from U of G a - still waiting. However, I received my official offer from McMaster today at 4:06 PM. 

2 hours ago, GingerDwight said:

Just got off the phone with Waterloo - they are SO nice, I just asked if they could give me any info on my status because I have a deadline in a few days to respond to a different program and she told me that the first offer did already go out, and that because they had over 600 applicants there were super overwhelmed and might have to create more spaces in the program.

She told me that after the first round (and responses) they made a waitlist which I am on, she said I wasn't denied which is good and that looking at my application and stats, had I applied any other year I would have been in the first round of offers. She couldn't tell me where exactly I was on the list but that I should expect to hear back over the next couple of weeks. 

For reference, my stats: 3.9 GPA last two years, b+ in stats, 2 first-author publications (in undergrad journals - topics: history of vaccine hesitancy and bioethical concerns of gene editing), TA (1 year) in science communication, and RA (1 year) in knowledge translation - research project was around public health policy development + implementation, and some extracurricular work with the university academic journals. 

congrats on being the waitlist for waterloo! 

i'm new to the whole grad application process (and i'm also waiting to hear back from a uni so i can accept/decline another offer) and am wondering how exactly you asked the admin for your status? i don't know what the most polite way to do it is! any tips are appreciated :)

Just now, jamie2547 said:

congrats on being the waitlist for waterloo! 

i'm new to the whole grad application process (and i'm also waiting to hear back from a uni so i can accept/decline another offer) and am wondering how exactly you asked the admin for your status? i don't know what the most polite way to do it is! any tips are appreciated :)

Honestly, I didn't even really ask! I just said that I'm an MPH applicant and that I have a deadline coming up for another program and I know that they're probably getting bombarded with calls but if there was any sort of update they could give me I'd really appreciate it. and we chatted for a bit about how this cycle is crazy and she just looked me up in the system and told me lol it was great 

11 minutes ago, heyitsme12 said:

congratulations!! would you be able to share your stats if you don't mind? Thanks!

I'm a registered nurse, so my undergrad degree is a bachelors of science in nursing, with about a cGPA 3.6, last 2 years 3.8. I work in acute care in a large hospital, mostly with neuro and cardiac patients. I was in Haiti for 6 months in 2019  working on the community based treatment of childhood malnutrition. I have also volunteered with the Canadian Cancer society Camps for kids with Cancer, and I used to volunteer with a harm reduction organization, providing harm reduction materials to sex workers and IVDU. Although I have primary worked in acute care, I do have some experiences working as a nurse in public health as well (I worked at a family doctors office, a fertility clinic, and as of last summer I do covid screening, testing, and education casually for the public health authority). 

Just now, Excel725 said:

Congrats! What stats and experiences did you apply with?  

My last 2 years of undergrad was 3.8, had a degree in Physics prior. Stat was A+. Experience as an R.A not Public Health related. Done a lot of community work in Canada and some parts of Africa. And yeah thats about it. Good luck to everyone waiting to be admitted. 

2 minutes ago, UofTEpi 2021 said:

My last 2 years of undergrad was 3.8, had a degree in Physics prior. Stat was A+. Experience as an R.A not Public Health related. Done a lot of community work in Canada and some parts of Africa. And yeah thats about it. Good luck to everyone waiting to be admitted. 

Thanks for sharing! Did you have a high cGPA too?

49 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

Honestly, I didn't even really ask! I just said that I'm an MPH applicant and that I have a deadline coming up for another program and I know that they're probably getting bombarded with calls but if there was any sort of update they could give me I'd really appreciate it. and we chatted for a bit about how this cycle is crazy and she just looked me up in the system and told me lol it was great 

that's awesome! thanks for sharing your experience, it's so great to hear that you had a nice chat with the admin person!