COVID-19 and Fall Semester

Hey guys! I got accepted to CSU Long Beach and have heard very little regarding whether classes will be online or on campus. I wanted to make a post for all things Covid-19 and how it may/may not be affecting Fall 2020. Will your school be online next semester? Are you still going to move there?

I'm very curious about this topic as well. When I accepted my spot at SDSU I asked  how covid would affect the fall and was told that they are expecting to have fall semester as normal, but that as things change they would be in touch with us. Of course this situation is very fluid so I imagine that all programs are hoping to be able to have fall semester in-person, but that the decision will be made at the level of the university rather than the department. They will probably have to wait and see what orders come down from the state, and then whether the university is able/allowed to reopen (for CSUs I imagine this will be a system-wide decision). 

I do still plan to move in August, though, since my lease is up in LA at the end of July anyway and I'm holding out hope for in-person classes :)

Hi Madison, 

I'm starting at CSUN in the fall and although they haven't finalized a decision I've heard that classes will most likely be online. If this is the case, they're hoping to create a system where classes can meet every other week and still manage to keep clinic open (these are just ideas that two of the professors have shared with me). I was also hesitant to relocate with the possibility of things going online but I'm deciding to do so anyway. I figured it was worth it since I would be spending that money anyway if it was in person, plus I could possibly work with the extra time I have if I'm not having to go to campus as often. Hoping they're able to update us soon!

Edited by Speechie Nat

Hi there - just in case you didn't see it - even though the thread topic says "admissions and funding" this has become an all-purpose thread for discussing what's going to be happening at various campuses in the fall, in case that's helpful to anybody - 

I’m starting SUNY Plattsburgh and they are looking at fully online, hybrid and fully on campus. If there is a hybrid option then I’d have to still move. I do plan on staying on campus so I’m not stressed about my living situation. On Plattsburgh’s website they have a lot of info about what they are doing and planning. They even have groups dedicated to figuring out all aspects of campus life and academics. I imagine all colleges have the same. It’s nice to see it all laid out for me.   

For the record it seems that people who are starting grad school this fall will be getting a better deal than those of us who were already in grad school when COVID-19 happened. Schools are more prepared now to deal with the possibility of online classes and telepractice where they weren't before - causing 1st and 2nd years to miss out on placements that were discontinued whereas I'd imagine that's far less likely to happen in the future.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:34 PM, jujubea said:

Hi there - just in case you didn't see it - even though the thread topic says "admissions and funding" this has become an all-purpose thread for discussing what's going to be happening at various campuses in the fall, in case that's helpful to anybody - 

Hi! This is a bit difficult to follow and is not related to speech pathology graduate programs or the idea that maybe SLP grad programs might start in person because they are typically small cohorts. Thank you though. 

Just thought I’d add that we got word yesterday that CSU campuses are planning to conduct classes virtually in the fall, with some exceptions for things like clinic. For now this feels like the best case scenario because it means faculty have a few months to prepare for virtual classes and we will still be able to meet in person for clinic. 

While none of this is ideal, at least for my program, faculty members are working very hard to try and do the best for the incoming class. We've held small zoom meetings to give feedback/brainstorm, taken surveys, given individual feedback through meetings and reflections, and had many candid group discussions about what's working and what's been difficult to adjust the courses to be more beneficial for our learning experience online. And although it's not easy, participating in these discussions has given me hope for the incoming classes. 

On 5/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, LaceySpeechie said:

For the record it seems that people who are starting grad school this fall will be getting a better deal than those of us who were already in grad school when COVID-19 happened. Schools are more prepared now to deal with the possibility of online classes and telepractice where they weren't before - causing 1st and 2nd years to miss out on placements that were discontinued whereas I'd imagine that's far less likely to happen in the future.

Totally agree! I'm feeling more and more like we'll be living in a world dealing with COVID for YEARS. Here's my thoughts in support of ya'll starting up!

I'm a first year too and feel like we'll have the hardest time securing externships this  year BUT by the time incoming students start searching the world will have to have precautions in place that students have somewhere to be. The big problem rn is placements not knowing how to keep their staff safe let alone students. I would 100% recommend starting a grad program now *As long as you connect with current students and get an idea for how the program is dealing with COVID*!!!! Go on linked in or facebook and find them, make sure your school/state allows telepractice and find out how classes feel online. SLP students are great and i'm sure they're happy to help