Deferring?

My program said they won't have a definitive answer until mid-June but I am going to attend regardless. I would only defer if you are set on moving away from your home and going to school out of state, because I think that would be extremely difficult to do during a pandemic (but YMMV). I'm going locally, so whether it is online or not does not make much of a difference to me since I am living at home still and would just be commuting. 

15 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

I really don't recommend deferring because you aren't guaranteed acceptance for the next round. Programs are working hard for their programs to run flexibility so I think it should be okay to enroll.

I'd agree! Getting in is such an ordeal that it doesn't seem worthwhile to defer. Anyway, the first semester is one of the easiest to conduct online (although it is admittedly less-than-ideal) since typically you do either little or no clinicals. Programs seem more prepared now to be flexible and conduct teletherapy, so I'd say that people starting programs in the fall aren't in a bad spot at all.

I wouldn’t risk deferring. I’m a distance SLP student. Y’all. It’s not bad at all. I miss the interaction within the cohort, but my program had that pre-covid 1x a week and 1x a week at our homes online. There are some things you do need to do in-person and I know the COVID-19 restrictions will postpone that until we are allowed to go back to our regional educational service centers here in Texas. As of right now, we are strictly online with Simucase and possible teletherapy options right now, hopefully allowing externships to resume in the fall. 

It’s not that bad y’all. I’m a year into it and it’s been great. If anything, you may be able to get some teletherapy experience and if you ever want to do teletherapy as a CCC- SLP, you will be more marketable. 

12 hours ago, ItowinSLP said:

@futurespeechpath1i agree with you but i heard most schools will be conducted online this fall. Is your program going to be online this fall? 

I'm not sure I haven't heard anything but the university itself sent an email saying they'll be back in person with a chance of a bigger hybrid/online component

7 hours ago, LaceySpeechie said:

I'd agree! Getting in is such an ordeal that it doesn't seem worthwhile to defer. Anyway, the first semester is one of the easiest to conduct online (although it is admittedly less-than-ideal) since typically you do either little or no clinicals. Programs seem more prepared now to be flexible and conduct teletherapy, so I'd say that people starting programs in the fall aren't in a bad spot at all.

Yeah I agree! Programs are doing their best to work with what they can but regardless the program is running so we should go if we got in. This is what we've been waiting for and I know I'm not guaranteed admission again. 

10 hours ago, ItowinSLP said:

@MH13 I didn't think of that! you are right, its a good way of getting experience in teletherapy. I will definitely resume in the fall. 

I’ve done about 10 hours total of teletherapy and I will say it’s gotten a lot easier. I don’t think I would want to be full-time teletherapy SLP, but should this kind of shut down ever happen again, I will be more comfortable and confident in my abilities to conduct teletherapy. I know some of my classmates were looking into how much you can make as a teletherapist and it’s much more than I expected! 

I got into Rutgers and I'll choose to defer. Cuz I'm an international student also have full time job. Online is not applicable for me at all.  Everyone's situation is not the same here I guess..

I will most likely be deferring my admission a year at UW-Milwaukee, if I can. Switching to online courses was a really hard transition for me, and I do not want to do it for another semester or even year. I feel like I didn't get as much out of my classes this semester, and I'm just worried the same thing will happen. (This is specific to me. I know some people do really well with online programs, but there's a reason I didn't apply to any online schools in the first place.) On top of not wanting to do online courses, I am still not 100% on my decision. I probably would have accepted at ASU if not for the pandemic, but that's its own post. If I can defer and UWM will hold my seat, I will, and then probably apply to some other schools and work as a paraprofessional or daycare. 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, ItowinSLP said:

@EdenThave you spoken to Rutgers about defering? are they able to hold your seat till 2021 fall? yeah everyone's situation is different. 

Yes, I checked with them, they'll hold my seat at most for one year

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about deferring. I'm taking advantage of COVID and applying to Speech@NYU and Speech@Emerson while they're waiving the GRE for Fall 2020 admission. In reality though, IDK if I'm ready to start in a few months; do you think (a) they'll be extending the waiver to next term, or (b) if I get in I can defer?

On 6/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, sbram94 said:

I have a question about deferring. I'm taking advantage of COVID and applying to Speech@NYU and Speech@Emerson while they're waiving the GRE for Fall 2020 admission. In reality though, IDK if I'm ready to start in a few months; do you think (a) they'll be extending the waiver to next term, or (b) if I get in I can defer?

I think what's hard about speech@NYU is that all of your clinical hours come from placements in your area and even in person programs are struggling to get second years placements so I just don't see how first years are going to get them outside of a campus clinic next year. I say apply but ask a LOT of questions and maybe try to find a current speech@NYU student to see how they're handling the pandemic. 

@ItowinSLP @nwslp thank you!! Panic writing my Personal Statement the night before the deadline...darn procrastination and ADD!

Any tips for the "Additional Information" optional section? I think I know what I'd put there but I want to make sure it's ok.

"If you would like to provide additional information to the Admissions Committee in support of your application, please submit it here. Providing additional information is optional and is not required. Submission or non-submission will be considered equally during the review process."