DrPH applicants Fall 2021

h1n1_

Hi all! I wanted to start a thread for prospective DrPH students applying before Dec 1 2020 for 2021 matriculation. I was browsing similar threads from previous application cycles and thought this would be helpful! 

I’m planning to apply to Johns Hopkins distance DrPH program. 
-MPH

-East coast

-I’ve worked in hospital epidemiology for 10 years, currently in a leadership role. 

Nice to meet you! 

• 3 weeks later...

... I also should probably add that I’m applying to the Hopkins DrPH program, but I’m still torn between the Implementation Science track OR designing my own custom track that incorporates Implementation Science and Hospital Epidemiology/patient safety. I’m leaning towards the latter, but still learning the specifics about what that entails.

I hope to hear from other prospective DrPH students — and wondering if the current pandemic has affected your application decisions (to defer, or further motivated you forward in your public health education journey). 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm applying for a mix of DrPH and PhD programs. Either way, I assume my career will be more field epi than research and teaching (though, I'd love that, too)! My list is long but definitely includes the distance Hopkins program. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I've lurked around the 2019/2020 DrPH threads, and I'm happy to see that this one was started!

I'm only applying to Hopkins' DrPH program in Health Equity and Social Justice. Mainly because I think the professors/course work best align with my career goals. Some stats about me:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.6
  • Grad GPA: 3.9
  • GRE: V-70th %, Q-50th %, W- 85th %
  • LOR: direct manager, program director, and former professor

I have my MPH and am CHES certified. I feel pretty confident in my application, other than the fact that I fall on the lower end of the spectrum of years of experience (I have exactly 3 post-grad, and will have 3.5 by the time I start the program if I get in [fingers crossed]). I've tried to counteract some of this by networking a bunch with current students/professors, so I'm hoping it will turn out favorably! Excited for the opportunity regardless!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Since schools the schools I'm applying to don't require it, is it necessary to include "Experiences," "Additional Experiences", and "Achievements" in my SOPHAS application? It feels redundant if you have a CV/Resume and none of the programs specifically ask for those sections...

Any suggestions/feedback on that? I have 3 days to finalize this app!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, DrPHwanted said:

Hi everyone! I've lurked around the 2019/2020 DrPH threads, and I'm happy to see that this one was started!

I'm only applying to Hopkins' DrPH program in Health Equity and Social Justice. Mainly because I think the professors/course work best align with my career goals. Some stats about me:

• Undergrad GPA: 3.6
  • Grad GPA: 3.9
  • GRE: V-70th %, Q-50th %, W- 85th %
  • LOR: direct manager, program director, and former professor

I have my MPH and am CHES certified. I feel pretty confident in my application, other than the fact that I fall on the lower end of the spectrum of years of experience (I have exactly 3 post-grad, and will have 3.5 by the time I start the program if I get in [fingers crossed]). I've tried to counteract some of this by networking a bunch with current students/professors, so I'm hoping it will turn out favorably! Excited for the opportunity regardless!

I just wrote a long reply and lost it accidentally clicking on an ad. Oof.

Here's the summary of what I wrote and if you're interested I'm happy to share more.

I applied to Hopkins and UNC. GRE was 96V/64Q/98W%. I have 20 years in healthcare, 15 in leadership, and the past 8 years at C-level leadership for a good sized health organization.

I was rejected at Hopkins and accepted at UNC which turned out to be a WAY better fit for me. I didn't know it early on, but the lockstep format at UNC and the senior level of students is a much better fit. Perhaps Hopkins saw that and maybe the schools even talk (if that's allowed) and steered me to UNC. If I had to guess, I would say my essay was hyper focused on one area of practice, which aligned with the Bloomberg Scholar program which I was also trying to get into. So maybe I screwed up on trying so hard to get into the Bloomberg program that I didn't demonstrate my other interests. And I also think they lacked professors with my particular interest (they were hiring at the time). Or maybe they didn't like something else.

I share this to say that the data you shared should not make you confident that you'll get in. Those numbers get them to look at you, but the qualitative part is very important. Clearly it was the qualitative part that got me rejected. I was shocked and crestfallen when I didn't get in, but whether it was by design or dumb luck I ended up in the perfect program for me.

I don't mean to be a downer in the least. Quite the opposite. If you are a good fit you should get in, but it won't be your gmGRE and grades that decide it. Good luck!

On 9/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, afropuff said:

Hi all, planning to apply to USF and UNC because their programs are distance learning. Currently working abroad so options are limited. 

I'm at UNC. PM me if you have questions or if you get in. It's a fantastic program and they have the distance part dialed in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I found this forum!  I've been looking for a DrPH applicant community, especially during the "waiting game." 

I only applied to schools that allow part-time enrollment, so I can continue working full-time.  I applied to Hopkins, BU, UT-Houston, and Rutgers.  *fingers crossed*

Best of luck!

Hopkins 2nd yr DrPH'er here I will be done with classes in summer 2021. I was lurking and wanted to give you some encouragement. I applied to 5 programs my first time. Got rejected from every single one. I wrote back letters or an email asking for feedback (was my SOP weak? Grades? I barley graduated HS, My undergraduate was very low, my GMAT/GRE scores are not stellar. I did 8 years in the military. However, my MBA from a non prestigious school was 3.9 and I had almost 10 years work experience in healthcare, last 4 were specifically in QI and community programs. The feedback was mainly about fit and how I had not outlined that in my package. I needed to be more concise.

So the fit of what I was doing at work coupled with how it fit with my track and concentration, really helped outline the overall fit of me to the program and vice versa and that is important. I don't know what their algoirthm for entry is, but they know how to make teams based on that fit. They know how to balance strength and put it together. My cohort are now some of my best friends. Where one limps we help and share our strengths. If my cohort peer is struggling in stats or with the data package....no worries, we teach eachother or give real life examples. So, yes your scores count but also awards. If you have awards for anything or if you presented a poster or abstract in any way...that is helpful. It shows you have done stuff in real life presenting with science and evidence base. It's all a balance of skills and experience. There is something to be said for those who have actually led a team to accomplish a project or program goal using Lean, QI, PDSA..etc methods.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, rhododendron said:

@BigTunaThanks for the encouragement!

Has anyone heard anything yet on the DrPH front? I applied to 5 programs and no word from any of them, but I am not really expecting to hear until March. 

I applied to Berkeley and BU DrPHs. Heard from Berkeley this week.

12 hours ago, rhododendron said:

@BigTunaThanks for the encouragement!

Has anyone heard anything yet on the DrPH front? I applied to 5 programs and no word from any of them, but I am not really expecting to hear until March. 

I had an interview with BU.  Waiting to see if I get an interview with UT Houston.  The other schools I applied to don't require interviews.  Glad to see some activity in this thread again.  It's been brutal watching PhD applicants get responses while DrPH applicants hear little-to-nothing, haha.

12 hours ago, DrPH or Bust said:

I had an interview with BU.  Waiting to see if I get an interview with UT Houston.  The other schools I applied to don't require interviews.  Glad to see some activity in this thread again.  It's been brutal watching PhD applicants get responses while DrPH applicants hear little-to-nothing, haha.

Thanks for sharing your updates. Agreed- I have been following the combined PhD/DrPH thread, which is very active but it's all PhD info. I'm trying not to think about things too much, but I have a potential new job offer coming up and I would love to know what my school plans are when I make that decision...

16 minutes ago, rhododendron said:

Thanks for sharing your updates. Agreed- I have been following the combined PhD/DrPH thread, which is very active but it's all PhD info. I'm trying not to think about things too much, but I have a potential new job offer coming up and I would love to know what my school plans are when I make that decision...

I hear you.  Depending on which school I get into, I may have to move and find a new job.  It'd be great to figure this all out sooner rather than later.

*fingers crossed for all of us*

On 2/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, DrPH or Bust said:

How did your interview go? Was it the usual "Tell us about yourself" and "Why BU?" sort of questioning? Did you find that the professors who are interviewing you have similar interests?

Any advice for those of us who are still waiting to interview?

7 hours ago, IAAJ said:

How did your interview go? Was it the usual "Tell us about yourself" and "Why BU?" sort of questioning? Did you find that the professors who are interviewing you have similar interests?

Any advice for those of us who are still waiting to interview?

It's pretty much what you just described, and the professors that interviewed me did have some overlapping interests.  My advice: just be yourself.  They seem to appreciate authenticity.  Any upcoming interviews?

Hi all,

I posted this on the combined thread and realized it is probably more relevant here! I received an invite to interview from the DrPH program at UNC Gillings last week. Unfortunately, it went to my spam so I was a couple days late replying. So, if you applied to the UNC DrPH you might consider checking your spam.

@DrPH or Bust my interview with BU SPH is on the 15th. I need to comb through the CVs of the folks I'm interviewing with again... Because on first glance there isn't much overlap... So I'm concerned.

But with that said, being myself is what I do best lol. I told myself from the beginning (since my grades were not very good) all I need to do is get in front of someone from the admissions committee for a conversation and I can shine. So it's just a matter of fine tuning my authentic responses to the questions I know they'll ask.

9 hours ago, IAAJ said:

@DrPH or Bust my interview with BU SPH is on the 15th. I need to comb through the CVs of the folks I'm interviewing with again... Because on first glance there isn't much overlap... So I'm concerned.

But with that said, being myself is what I do best lol. I told myself from the beginning (since my grades were not very good) all I need to do is get in front of someone from the admissions committee for a conversation and I can shine. So it's just a matter of fine tuning my authentic responses to the questions I know they'll ask.

My sense is this faculty that interview us are exclusively on the DrPH Admission Committee, which may limit content overlap.  Hopefully your interview goes well, and hopefully we both get more interviews, haha.