Best backpack on the market?

Postbib Yeshuist

I'll be commuting 45m (one way) to campus next year for my PhD and need "the best of the best" of backpacks. Since I'll be spending 8h or so each day on campus, I need to be able to carry quite a few books, a laptop or netbook, maybe a change of clothes, lunch, etc. I don't want something so large that everything knocks around on days when I make shorter visits, but I also want room to carry what I need. The more pockets and dividers the better (I'm obsessive about keeping books in good shape). I'm trying to limit the price to $100, but I'll entertain things that are higher.

PS It has to be a backpack just for comfort reasons.

I'll be commuting 45m (one way) to campus next year for my PhD and need "the best of the best" of backpacks. Since I'll be spending 8h or so each day on campus, I need to be able to carry quite a few books, a laptop or netbook, maybe a change of clothes, lunch, etc. I don't want something so large that everything knocks around on days when I make shorter visits, but I also want room to carry what I need. The more pockets and dividers the better (I'm obsessive about keeping books in good shape). I'm trying to limit the price to $100, but I'll entertain things that are higher.

PS It has to be a backpack just for comfort reasons.

I am not sure about backpacks, but will you have an office? If so, you could keep a change of clothes and your extra books and whatnot there. If not, I would look into getting a locker.

Good luck!

if you are willing to spend a bit of money, Tumi briefpacks or backpacks are beautiful and VERY reliable. I've had mine for years and I love it, although I am planning on getting a new one for grad school. Sometimes they discontinue certain colors and backpacks become reasonably priced (around 100$ or so).

I have a North Face that has a laptop compartment and it has room for quite a bit of stuff but doesn't seem awkward if there are only a few books in there. It is also built really well for distributing weight-- the waist straps are substantial-- so on those days you are carrying a lot of stuff the weight sits on your hips and saves your back. Mine is the Borealis but I'm sure there are quite a few different models and they are not very expensive for the quality imo.

Chrome bags are waterproof and durable. They are pretty comfortable. I have had mine for four years, and I plan on it working for the next five. It still looks relatively new. Depending on size you can get one for 100$, at least you could a few years ago, but I have not been in the market for some time.blink.gif

Chrome bags are waterproof and durable. They are pretty comfortable. I have had mine for four years, and I plan on it working for the next five. It still looks relatively new. Depending on size you can get one for 100$, at least you could a few years ago, but I have not been in the market for some time.blink.gif

Okay Prices have gone up, but still a great bag and really built to last.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags.html?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Chrome+Bags&ovcrn=sr3_151017403_go+chrome+bag&ovtac=PPC&SR=sr3_151017403_go&gclid=COHYg8TgmqECFZVY2godVUmsNg

Check out this backpack (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Backpack_TD-331) from Briggs & Riley’s Transcend collection. The backpack has room for everything that you need besides various pockets for peripherals and stationery. The backpack has ergonomic straps that make carrying it extremely comfortable.

If you want it to be able to carry a bunch of stuff, but not having lighter loads flopping around, look for something with synch straps. I have a hiking backpack that I use the most since it allows me to carry large loads (books, lunch, computer, change of clothes) comfortably each way & keep stuff separate on my 30 min walk to/from campus. It also lets me strap it down into a more compact form when I don't have as much to carry. It's probably bigger than most people would want to haul around all day and doesn't look very professional, but it works really well since I originally bought it for fieldwork when I was hiking 15+ miles a day for my job. I also have a smaller bag that I leave in my office and use to tote notebooks etc around campus or to/from my apartment if I don't need the big bag one day.

Anyways, my recommendations for features to look for in a bag include:

- ergonomic/padded shoulder straps

- a size that fits you (I'm small, so I have too find women's-specific frames)

- synch straps to compact smaller loads

- water proofing or maybe a pack cover in case of unexpected rain (my pack seems to get wet quite a bit)

- a separate, removable sleeve for your computer. I find that built-in sleeves aren't can be uncomfortable if you computer doesn't fill it up

I also recommend looking at discount sites for good bags for cheaper. I got my (rather expensive) pack for 1/2 price from campmor because it was an old model. Spending the money is definitely a good investment since it will almost certainly get a LOT of use.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll cast another vote for Timbuk2. I got a small Swig (the older ballistic fabric, which is now reduced in price) at the beginning of the academic year, and I love it. I live in a very rainy city and walk everywhere, sometimes up to 10 miles a day in the rain. I've never had a problem with my belongings getting wet or damaged, and I see almost no wear on the bag, despite daily, sometimes abusive use.

To give you an idea of what it holds, today it was as full as it gets, and I toted around: 8 books, 13" laptop (with cables), stack of printouts, bottle of water, and various personal effects (cell phone, wallet, office supples, etc.) with it all organized and accessible. It also collapses down quite a bit when I carry less, and I don't find that my things are banging around. The straps are wide set, which is very nice for women.

My complaints are that it lacks a waist strap, so the weight is all on the shoulders and back, and that the padding on the bottom of the laptop compartment is tube-shaped, and it is possible to insert the laptop so that it slides to one side or the other and isn't as well protected.

Edited by repatriate

I used a Swiss Gear Backpack for most of my undergrad. It has a laptop compartment and great pocket space. The straps are padded and so is the back. There are channels in the padding to allow airflow. It held up really well throughout all of my classes. I really like to keep my books neat and organized, too...never had any damage as a result of this bag! smile.gif

I have a North Face that has a laptop compartment and it has room for quite a bit of stuff but doesn't seem awkward if there are only a few books in there. It is also built really well for distributing weight-- the waist straps are substantial-- so on those days you are carrying a lot of stuff the weight sits on your hips and saves your back. Mine is the Borealis but I'm sure there are quite a few different models and they are not very expensive for the quality imo.

Ditto North Face. I've given up backpacks, but if I hadn't, I'd probably have something of theirs if I didn't cave and try an Incase one....

Thanks for all the comments. In the end, I settled on... my old Camelbak Trailblazer. Surprisingly enough, it is the perfect width for the average paperback text; organizes my pens, moleskine, Kindle, mouse, etc in the front pocket; and has a felt-lined top pocket. it has a sternum strap and minimal waist belt and the section for the water bladder protects a netbook quite well. It has compression straps to stabilize the load and is small enough (hopefully) to keep me from trying toc arry everything.

I am terribly tempted by the Camelbak Fourteener, however. A bit more space, a few more pockets, an amazing backpad that ventilates very well. The bladder pouch is also insulated, so serves as a kind of de facto padded case for a 15" macbook. Currently at REI for $100 after tax

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

Thanks for all the comments. In the end, I settled on... my old Camelbak Trailblazer. Surprisingly enough, it is the perfect width for the average paperback text; organizes my pens, moleskine, Kindle, mouse, etc in the front pocket; and has a felt-lined top pocket. it has a sternum strap and minimal waist belt and the section for the water bladder protects a netbook quite well. It has compression straps to stabilize the load and is small enough (hopefully) to keep me from trying toc arry everything.

I am terribly tempted by the Camelbak Fourteener, however. A bit more space, a few more pockets, an amazing backpad that ventilates very well. The bladder pouch is also insulated, so serves as a kind of de facto padded case for a 15" macbook. Currently at REI for $100 after tax

I like that you throw the words kindle, moleskin, and macbook around - but then use a $50 camping backpack to keep them in.

Just make sure the bag breaths, so the mouse don't sufficate...

• 1 month later...

Just make sure the bag breaths, so the mouse don't sufficate...

el oh el! :D

OK, one month later and I finally got it! Was a Columbia outlet store yesterday on the way home from the beach. Found a Columbia Glade Bomber that, after all the discounts, etc, was only $30. It's got a "clamshell" opening (so it's easy to put books in), a few small pockets for squirreling away stuff, fits well, water-resistant, lifetime warranty, etc, etc, etc. I had basically given up and then along comes this one. It's not a "true" school backpack, but for the envisioned needs I have, it's gonna work well I think. If not, I got a sweet outdoorsy backpack for $30. Win win! ;)

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. :)