2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

Whispers: Maybe don't call everyone else's dreams weak...just a thought. Other than that, congrats and good luck making a decision. Sounds like you have some great options!

I just meant in the context of doing something you know is safer. I'm sure a lot of us on this forum can agree that there are other careers paths that you don't hear nearly as much people warning you that you'll go hungry in. I obviously respect that kind of professional work or I wouldn't be considering it at all. That's to say, for me I fear I could be doing it out of self-doubt and fear of the future, and that seems weak. Not that anyone who wants to do that kind of work is weak for wanting that.

1 hour ago, corgeel14 said:

I just meant in the context of doing something you know is safer. I'm sure a lot of us on this forum can agree that there are other careers paths that you don't hear nearly as much people warning you that you'll go hungry in. I obviously respect that kind of professional work or I wouldn't be considering it at all. That's to say, for me I fear I could be doing it out of self-doubt and fear of the future, and that seems weak. Not that anyone who wants to do that kind of work is weak for wanting that.

Congrats on New School. I'm not sure if there's ever a "right time" to do an MFA. Or at least it differs for everyone, I guess, depending on desire, circumstances, resources and other factors. I'm middle-aged (kids in college) with advanced degrees in unrelated fields. I've never done a workshop or a creative writing course and I never thought about getting an MFA when I was younger. It's only when I started writing poetry and fiction about 8 yrs ago and found I kept coming back to writing, and thinking about it all the time, that I started to take the idea of getting an MFA seriously. I feel now is the "right time" for me, b/c I feel I could use the benefit of a writing community as well as finding mentors who could help me shape my work, especially a novella I've completed. But maybe I'll find getting an MFA sucks and I'll be like the man said, "Get me the fuck outta here." Then, I'll explore other options (low-res maybe, workshop classes etc.). In any event, I think you'll know when the time is right for you and then hopefully you will find a program that's a good fit. 

Edited by Boomer not Ok

Hi!

I just got accepted to two MFA fiction programs I applied to and I am freaking out. Before this this wasn't very real, more like an I applied, lets see what happens type deal, but now I realize that I have gotten in and I don't know anything about anything and within the ten hours since I opened a very happy letter, I have convinced myself that I am probably illiterate, very much unqualified, and way too young to be going to grad school. Anybody else get hit with the crippling self doubt after everything is almost settled? (The fact that I have to now make a choice is throwing me for a loop.)

32 minutes ago, sk345 said:

Hi!

I just got accepted to two MFA fiction programs I applied to and I am freaking out. Before this this wasn't very real, more like an I applied, lets see what happens type deal, but now I realize that I have gotten in and I don't know anything about anything and within the ten hours since I opened a very happy letter, I have convinced myself that I am probably illiterate, very much unqualified, and way too young to be going to grad school. Anybody else get hit with the crippling self doubt after everything is almost settled? (The fact that I have to now make a choice is throwing me for a loop.)

I did a mock class with a program I was accepted to and was drenched in sweat by the end. I was so nervous and def feeling all the imposter syndrome 

"Woke up in a horrendous mood" squad assemble!

(Flashbacks immediately as I woke up, made a playlist called Sad Chill, took a heavy duty anxiety med at 8:45 in the god damn morning)

I don't know how I'm gonna react if I do/don't hear from V Tech today.

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

"Woke up in a horrendous mood" squad assemble!

(Flashbacks immediately as I woke up, made a playlist called Sad Chill, took a heavy duty anxiety med at 8:45 in the god damn morning)

I don't know how I'm gonna react if I do/don't hear from V Tech today.

Literally me with my current pending schools. /:

Just wanted to sign off and say "bye" to everyone on here! I chose my school and I'm moving on to obsessing about moving. (Just FYI - I still haven't heard from Univ Florida, Univ Alaska Fairbanks, Florida State Univ, or Northern Michigan. ?‍♀️

REMEMBER - there will be BOATLOADS of waitlist activity. People are getting in off of waitlists weeks before they normally do right now - most people applied to so many programs and will only go to one. 

HANG IN THERE and keep your hopes up! 

I was wondering if anyone could do me a favor-- I was hoping to get an outside perspective about a few different schools I'm deciding between. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of these programs:

The New School

Ohio State

University of New Orleans

Brooklyn College

I have a lot of factors I'm weighing internally, but one thing I really don't have is a sense of each program's reputation among people who know a lot about this world. I already have a ton of information about each option, and I was hoping to get an outside perspective, ie which programs do you know about? What have you heard?

Thank you so much, and good luck to everyone ❤️ ❤️

59 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

Just wanted to sign off and say "bye" to everyone on here! I chose my school and I'm moving on to obsessing about moving. (Just FYI - I still haven't heard from Univ Florida, Univ Alaska Fairbanks, Florida State Univ, or Northern Michigan. ?‍♀️

REMEMBER - there will be BOATLOADS of waitlist activity. People are getting in off of waitlists weeks before they normally do right now - most people applied to so many programs and will only go to one. 

HANG IN THERE and keep your hopes up! 

Congrats! Wishing you much joy and success!

43 minutes ago, lacanian_lychen said:

I was wondering if anyone could do me a favor-- I was hoping to get an outside perspective about a few different schools I'm deciding between. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of these programs:

The New School

Ohio State

University of New Orleans

Brooklyn College

I have a lot of factors I'm weighing internally, but one thing I really don't have is a sense of each program's reputation among people who know a lot about this world. I already have a ton of information about each option, and I was hoping to get an outside perspective, ie which programs do you know about? What have you heard?

Thank you so much, and good luck to everyone ❤️ ❤️

Reputation matters less than opportunities and quality of life. Consider funding, cost of living,, climate, faculty, and extra-curricular programs. Personally, UNO would be the only option for me, because I am determined that I will not live through another winter. You probably have different priorities. 

Edited by cecsav

It's funny, I keep telling myself I've basically given up all hope, and then I still keep anxiously checking my email and looking up results to see if there's been any movement from the three schools I've not heard anything about. 

Maybe it'll just be easier to really give up hope when I've actually got the rejections in hand. I think, in some weird way, I'm looking forward to that. It's not the actual rejection that's hard for me to deal with--I'm a pro at getting rejected by this point in life lol. It's just the not knowing. 

2 minutes ago, Ash... said:

Got into The New School with a 75% scholarship. I’m so happy and excited. Good luck to everyone and remember an MFA program does not define your success or ability! 

Congratulations!!! Was this for fiction? o:

Edited by iai

Well, I'd hardly consider the MFA application process the hardiest barometer for writing prowess.  Like standardized testing, it tries to categorize and label the quality of someone's ability to do that one thing "right" (either the MFA application process or the standardized test), but is ill-equipped to illustrate any form of real intelligence, talent, wit, or even potential outside of the parameters of either an application process or a standardized test format.

The great absurdity of having to use a method that can't show me your fullest self in order to even be able to consider you at all.  With all our great thinking and the vastness of the mind, we still haven't been able to sift through it all and find a solution.

Is it really a wonder that so many authors, and big name authors, too, and artists, are all shunned, underappreciated, outright rejected, or ignored for most of their living?

The fact that we stand as much of a chance at getting into a school if we were to sit in on a Divination class and read the dregs of our coffee than we do preparing an SOP weeks or months in advance...

Well, thanks, Godot.

1 hour ago, cecsav said:

Reputation matters less than opportunities and quality of life. Consider funding, cost of living,, climate, faculty, and extra-curricular programs. Personally, UNO would be the only option for me, because I am determined that I will not live through another winter. You probably have different priorities. 

I can already weigh pretty much every other factor on my own. Reputation was the one I didn't have a sense of, and which does play some part in my decision, albeit not one of the most important parts

Just now, lacanian_lychen said:

I can already weigh pretty much every other factor on my own. Reputation was the one I didn't have a sense of, and which does play some part in my decision, albeit not one of the most important parts

According to UNO's website, Jericho Brown holds an MFA  from there and he won a pulitzer so if that helps...

Edited by Ydrl

4 minutes ago, lacanian_lychen said:

If I had those options I would pick Ohio state because of funding. 

3 minutes ago, omgalexx said:

If I had those options I would pick Ohio state because of funding. 

I lived in Columbus for 3 years and went to school just outside of it for my bachelor's (Otterbein in Westerville) and I love Columbus.  Small for a capital, unassuming almost, great food choices, fantastic music selections, great indie cinemas, trendy bar scene (the video game bars are a thing that will never not delight me)...

HOWEVER.

During football season, Columbus is a living nightmare.  The OSU/Michigan feud is real, it is tangible, it is an actual stink, haha.  So depending on how well you deal with traffic, crowds, stupidity leaks, and insanity, then I'd take a closer look at OSU as a serious contender for your MFA, especially since peace and quiet, proverbial or otherwise, will be essential to your success.

One would think, heh.

Edited by oubukibun

27 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

I lived in Columbus for 3 years and went to school just outside of it for my bachelor's (Otterbein in Westerville) and I love Columbus.  Small for a capital, unassuming almost, great food choices, fantastic music selections, great indie cinemas, trendy bar scene (the video game bars are a thing that will never not delight me)...

HOWEVER.

During football season, Columbus is a living nightmare.  The OSU/Michigan feud is real, it is tangible, it is an actual stink, haha.  So depending on how well you deal with traffic, crowds, stupidity leaks, and insanity, then I'd take a closer look at OSU as a serious contender for your MFA, especially since peace and quiet, proverbial or otherwise, will be essential to your success.

One would think, heh.

Thanks so much for this. Your comment is incredibly helpful.. I really love the program and it seems just about perfect, but I am a little nervous to move to Ohio. I've only lived on the West Coast, and never far from an ocean. I guess I just didn't know what to expect from Columbus 

But lol thank you for the game day warnings.. ? I might have to suddenly develop an interest in football if I go there

Edited by lacanian_lychen