2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

25 minutes ago, Chabek said:

Same. I know that NWP and Michener have different admin/admissions but they’re closely tied to each other. You’d think timeline would be similar. I heard from NWP yesterday a.m.

Yes, it's just very strange there have been no waitlists or rejections yet either. Plus, many of the people in Draft are experienced and talented people who have applied multiple times, so what are the odds none of them got accepted or waitlisted?

Just now, aa2427 said:

Yes, it's just very strange there have been no waitlists or rejections yet either. Plus, many of the people in Draft are experienced and talented people who have applied multiple times, so what are the odds none of them got accepted or waitlisted?

It’s odd for sure! Maybe they haven’t gone out yet. Or maybe Michener told the folks who have gotten accepted to keep mum about it lol

25 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

If I don't hear any more about that goddamn Notre Dame fiction acceptance I swear I'm going to...silently sulk in my chair.

I’m endlessly pacing in the airport right now waiting for something, anything, on this front. 

This is the third school where acceptances have gone out according to the results page, and I’ve yet to hear anything: no rejection, no portal update, and certainly no acceptance or waitlist. 

Fingers crossed for you and me and anyone else out there waiting on the Dame.

6 hours ago, aheather said:

Hello! I got an acceptance for poetry via portal and then phone call for Iowa State University on Friday (portal)/ Saturday night (phone call). I was taking the weekend to be offline and heal from what I thought was just a suite of rejections, so the good news was SHOCKING. I was so overwhelmed, and then got a phone call from UNLV on Sunday night to throw me for a whole second loop. 

I couldn't be happier with these two programs, I write exclusively about place and space-- I spent a LOT of my undergrad abroad (I did my classes via email correspondence and lived in France for a year, went to Berlin multiple times for my thesis, and then wrapped up college and moved to Malaysia for a year), and then I literally started a journal of ecopoetics. So! Having one international program and one environmentally focused program is bananas. I feel like these two acceptances, more than any acceptances anywhere else, shows that what I'm trying to do in my work is legible. I am a genuine fit for these places, and the fact that they see that shows that my work is doing what I've been working to make it do. 

So much love for this forum, I wish I could make everyone as deliriously happy as I've been this weekend. 

(and now, I have the most terrifying, overwhelming decision of my life)

congratulations!!! I’m waiting to hear from ISU for fiction, and my portal still hasn’t updated nor have I gotten an email. Anxiously hoping no news is good news. I’m queer too and I heard Ames is actually a pretty great place to be out relative to the reputation some places in Iowa have. It is such a dreamy program, so I understand feeling torn between the material and the place.

Hi all, been refreshing this page (and draft) non-stop since I found it a couple weeks ago, and finally decided to post something.

So I'm waitlisted at my top choice, was interviewed for a TA position, and when I reached out to the department they said it was a very short list (2-3 per genre).

This is all wonderful and I'm excited but........... I am absolutely losing my shit with the waiting.

Is anybody else in a similar position? These waitlists are agonizing.

43 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

If I don't hear any more about that goddamn Notre Dame fiction acceptance I swear I'm going to...silently sulk in my chair.

I’m gonna have to apply again next year if I can’t land a stipend. I don’t want to go for round three, if I must I’m gonna...sink deep between the couch cushions and hibernate until mid-October.

Also, I get results for my COVID test tomorrow. It’s not looking too great right now, but I have hope.

@aheatherThe one thing I will say about ISU is that it seems like they did one of their writing professors Chloe N. Clark the dirty. She got in trouble (and harassed inside and out) for banning hate speech in her class and papers, so... ya know. Prolly worth researching on your own.

As far as Vegas goes, I have some friends who grew up there and it's a pretty family oriented place outside the strip--great public school funding. Also, like, so many good places to eat. And as someone pointed out, because LV gets so many tourists, it is easy as pie to travel from. 

Don't know much about the actual writing programs, but thought I'd throw my couple cents out for ya

First acceptance! Sarah Lawrence, Poetry. Lovely, warm phone call from Paige-Ackerson Kiely. She mentioned that AWP is this week and that they were generally swamped, but that next week would be more clear. Makes sense that other programs might also be experiencing delays due to AWP.

Anyone have experience with Sarah Lawrence and/or Bronxville? Long ago, I dated a guy whose Mom lived in Westchester. It was beautiful, but tony and filled with a lot of white people (don't get me wrong, some of my best friends -- also me; although my birthfather is from Bolivia; but I currently work with uber-rich white people and I'm pretty over it). I wonder about cost of living, especially since the program is only partially funded. Would love any insights about the program or the area.

Thanks so much for letting me hang with y'all here in GradCafe. I would be feeling insane right now without your generous sharing.

Edited by goodcynara

4 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

First acceptance! Sarah Lawrence, Poetry. Lovely, warm phone call from Paige-Ackerson Kelly. She mentioned that AWP is this week and that they were generally swamped, but that next week would be more clear. Makes sense that other programs might also be experiencing delays due to AWP.

Anyone have experience with Sarah Lawrence and/or Bronxville? Long ago, I dated a guy whose Mom lived in Westchester. It was beautiful, but tony and filled with a lot of white people (don't get me wrong, some of my best friends -- also me; although my birthfather is from Bolivia; but I currently work with user-rich white people and I'm pretty over it). I wonder about cost of living, especially since the program is only partially funded. Would love any insights about the program or the area.

Thanks so much for letting me hang with y'all here in GradCafe. I would be feeling insane right now without your generous sharing.

Have no information about Sarah Lawrence, but CONGRATULATIONS! AHHHH!

4 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

First acceptance! Sarah Lawrence, Poetry. Lovely, warm phone call from Paige-Ackerson Kelly. She mentioned that AWP is this week and that they were generally swamped, but that next week would be more clear. Makes sense that other programs might also be experiencing delays due to AWP.

Congrats! That first acceptance must feel like a weight off. 

Another rejection here today from UC Davis! Came in the form of a portal update email. This one definitely hurts a little more (especially considering the unwaveable $120 application fee and my heart being pretty set on California) but we're pushing through. So far it's been only rejections here; Northwestern, UMich, and UC Davis now. Holding out for UC Irvine, Brown, Boston, Mills, and CCA San Francisco as much as I can. Not letting this ruin my day today because I got my unemployment back pay from 3 months today and if you asked me a few days ago if I thought I could even still consider grad school this year I would've told you no because I had no money for it and still no job. Keep pushing, y'all. I know it can be really disheartening and frustrating but I promise you're not the only one feeling this way. 

1 hour ago, goodcynara said:

First acceptance! Sarah Lawrence, Poetry. Lovely, warm phone call from Paige-Ackerson Kiely. She mentioned that AWP is this week and that they were generally swamped, but that next week would be more clear. Makes sense that other programs might also be experiencing delays due to AWP.

Anyone have experience with Sarah Lawrence and/or Bronxville? Long ago, I dated a guy whose Mom lived in Westchester. It was beautiful, but tony and filled with a lot of white people (don't get me wrong, some of my best friends -- also me; although my birthfather is from Bolivia; but I currently work with uber-rich white people and I'm pretty over it). I wonder about cost of living, especially since the program is only partially funded. Would love any insights about the program or the area.

Look At You GIF - LookAtYou Smile Point GIFs

YAY!!!!! I'm so proud of/happy for you, dear!!!! Congrats on your success. ❤️❤️❤️ 

1 hour ago, goodcynara said:

Congrats!!!! I, too, am out of reactions, haha. But very happy for you:)

Hey, fellow-MFA applicants!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (Sorry in advance for the maudlin username -- it's less a summation of my current mindset, and more I couldn't think of anything.)

I'm kinda dogged by twin insecurities ATM, which have at last caused me to buckle and write this post:

1) Was wondering if anyone heard from JHU. There's been little on this thread (or, well, in the ether) about their Writing Seminars, about when they normally post decisions, &c., so I was curious what you all knew.

2) And then, is it foolish at this point to think Iowa isn't done making phone calls? Are they staggered, or should I assume, having heard tell of one-two acceptances, that they've all gone out?

I'm on tenterhooks like the rest of you. Just wanted to inquire, as well as join you in wallowing in the wait, commiserate a little (with those commiserating -- for those who got in somewhere, congrats!), maybe hear from a couple vet appliers. It's my first go; be gentle!

Congrats on all the SL acceptances. Also made it. At the time I applied, I noted the program seems to boast a largish faculty and has bi-weekly meetings with your writing advisor, which seems a decent feature. Other than this, I do not know much about it. 

Still waiting to hear back from 8 other programs. I wonder what is happening with Rutgers Camden? I have not seen any posted results on Gradcafe or even interview calls, but maybe I missed them, bc I heard they had made calls for interviews...?