MSW.K

15 hours ago, William Prince said:

Congratulations, so happy for you. I also applied to Columbia on Feb 15 and confirmation was Feb. 24. When did you receive your confirmation and what time did they send out the notification that your status was updated. Just wondering cause I am anxious lol 

Hi! I received my confirmation on Feb 17. I hope you hear back soon!!

17 hours ago, William Prince said:

Congratulations, so happy for you. I also applied to Columbia on Feb 15 and confirmation was Feb. 24. When did you receive your confirmation and what time did they send out the notification that your status was updated. Just wondering cause I am anxious lol 

Hi! I applied 2/15 and was confirmed 2/25 - I got my acceptance on 4/26. Like a few others, I just happened to check the portal and it was posted.

Edited by mswapplicant7

1 hour ago, mswapplicant7 said:

Hi! I applied 2/15 and was confirmed 2/25 - I got my acceptance on 4/26. Like a few others, I just happened to check the portal and it was posted.

I was confirmed 2/24 - hopefully this means I hear soon!

On 4/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, chicagovsnycmsw said:

Hi All! 

I've been a long time lurker and thought I'd finally jump on these discussions! Just like a handful of others, I was waiting for my Columbia decision for what felt like the longest and finally received it on Monday April 19th, I applied Feb 1st. Also, I just received my financial aid package and wondering if anyone successfully appealed theirs? Would anyone mind sharing the link to the appeal form? I've seen a budget appeal form but not sure if this is it. 

Thank you and best of luck to those waiting! 

Are most people planning on taking out loans to pay for Columbia? I haven't received my financial aid package yet but just wondering what course most people were considering taking. Thanks so much!

On 4/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, aaj12 said:

has anyone committed to USC?

Hi! I put down my deposit for USC! I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia though, but if I find out I've been rejected then I will for sure be attending USC come the fall. Have you committed to their program? I feel like I haven't seen many USC applicants this year, in comparison to other years on this forum. 

Hi all! I applied to Columbia Jan 7 but the application wasn't complete until Feb 11. Yesterday I received an email that my application had been flagged for an issue during review. Hopefully this provides a little more insight into where Columbia is at in looking at applications!

7 minutes ago, anonpenguin74 said:

Hi all! I applied to Columbia Jan 7 but the application wasn't complete until Feb 11. Yesterday I received an email that my application had been flagged for an issue during review. Hopefully this provides a little more insight into where Columbia is at in looking at applications!

Interesting. What does flagged for an issue mean? 

5 minutes ago, cccrsn22 said:

Interesting. What does flagged for an issue mean? 

I uploaded a letter of rec using Interfolio, then my app got flagged for "having been submitted from the same computer used to submit letters of recommendation for other applicants to Columbia School of Social Work by different referees".  I emailed an explanation though and everything was fine.  

1 hour ago, cccrsn22 said:

Those of you who applied to Columbia Feb 15.... anything? I can't believe it's May 3rd and I still haven't heard. They told me it shouldn't be later than April 26. I'm at a loss of what to do right now :(

Still nothing :( I emailed them last week because I had a hard deadline on May 1st for uchicago (I had already gotten an extension for the original deadline of april 15) and they told me they couldn't guarantee a decision by then, so I ended up putting down a deposit at uchicago. I could still eat the deposit and go to Columbia if I got in, but honestly the way they've bungled this whole admissions process really turns me off & doesn't bode well for how they treat their students so I probably won't.

16 minutes ago, mswcandidate2021 said:

Still nothing :( I emailed them last week because I had a hard deadline on May 1st for uchicago (I had already gotten an extension for the original deadline of april 15) and they told me they couldn't guarantee a decision by then, so I ended up putting down a deposit at uchicago. I could still eat the deposit and go to Columbia if I got in, but honestly the way they've bungled this whole admissions process really turns me off & doesn't bode well for how they treat their students so I probably won't.

I told them the same thing except with NYU. I deposited there. Columbia is my very first choice and this entire situation has honestly just made me really sad. I still really want to go there but the way this has been handled makes me doubt how much they value us coming there 

2 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

Those of you who applied to Columbia Feb 15.... anything? I can't believe it's May 3rd and I still haven't heard. They told me it shouldn't be later than April 26. I'm at a loss of what to do right now :(

I haven't heard anything yet from them and it's disheartening that it's taking them this long. It has been almost 3 months. NYU received a 120K applications school wide and they can make a decision in a timely fashion. Columbia receives far less and it takes longer. A friend of mine that went to Columbia said he received his decision in June. 

13 hours ago, aoikal said:

Hi! I put down my deposit for USC! I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia though, but if I find out I've been rejected then I will for sure be attending USC come the fall. Have you committed to their program? I feel like I haven't seen many USC applicants this year, in comparison to other years on this forum. 

Congrats! I committed in early April. I was also waiting for Columbia, but I didn't end up getting enough money from them so I'm sticking with USC (cheaper b/c i can live at home). I've spoken to a few people who either graduated from or are attending USC, and it made me really look forward to going, it sounds like a great program

17 minutes ago, William Prince said:

I haven't heard anything yet from them and it's disheartening that it's taking them this long. It has been almost 3 months. NYU received a 120K applications school wide and they can make a decision in a timely fashion. Columbia receives far less and it takes longer. A friend of mine that went to Columbia said he received his decision in June. 

This is SO true and that is so sad to hear. Truly makes me question it being my first choice, makes me really anxious. 

4 hours ago, Minhessica said:

Anyone know the right protocol to ask for more a financial aid from Columbia or have a template? Please let me know thank you!

I am in the process of writing my appeal now! I was going to use the info provided at this link. https://socialwork.columbia.edu/current-students/dual-degree-faq/financial-aid/what-if-im-not-satisfied-with-my-financial-aid-package/

For other schools, I've emailed saying I'm honored to have received the award, but am interested in appealing, and then ask if they have any forms or formal procedures for doing so. If they say it's just an email, I typically follow that up with a longer email explaining my circumstances.

2 hours ago, mswapplicant7 said:

I am in the process of writing my appeal now! I was going to use the info provided at this link. https://socialwork.columbia.edu/current-students/dual-degree-faq/financial-aid/what-if-im-not-satisfied-with-my-financial-aid-package/

For other schools, I've emailed saying I'm honored to have received the award, but am interested in appealing, and then ask if they have any forms or formal procedures for doing so. If they say it's just an email, I typically follow that up with a longer email explaining my circumstances.

Thank you so much! 

23 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

I applied Feb 15th and just found out last night that I am waitlisted! It's not ideal, but I'm still excited because I have a less than stellar undergrad GPA. They said that I should get a final decision by early June.