MSW.K

On 5/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

Has anyone heard back yet from USC in regards to their MSW decision? I sent my application on April 5th, and the transcript was approved the 15th.

Did you hear back? 

1 hour ago, William Prince said:

Well it has been 3 months and I still haven't heard from Columbia!

So I could be wrong, but I believe Columbia’s recruitment/enrollment/initially admissions is all handled in-house.  so If they got a huge uptick in applications, it’s going to take them a while to get through all applications.  ?

This could mean that even if you applied for the ground program, they’re just massively backed up. 

For context, a lot of online-programs use OPM partners. Examples, 2U, Noodle, etc. They provide a valuable service, *but* also take a cut of tuition or charge a fee-for-service....   
Some partners: 2U manages DU, USC, Simmons. Noodle manages Tulane and VCU. NYU (Steinhardt) uses HotChalk which was acquired by Noodle..... Basically these OPM programs stream-line the application process. The universities still handle admissions, teaching, education.... 

Sorry - Lengthly reply but *possibly* helpful context. 

Good luck! 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

I was wondering if I could get some assistance on how I should be addressing my email to a program that I had already put a deposit down due to their early commitment deadline, but have since received acceptance to a program I plan to attend. Is there anyone who had to do this? Would appreciate help regarding what I should be saying in the email to the admissions office! Thank you! 

2 hours ago, aoikal said:

I was wondering if I could get some assistance on how I should be addressing my email to a program that I had already put a deposit down due to their early commitment deadline, but have since received acceptance to a program I plan to attend. Is there anyone who had to do this? Would appreciate help regarding what I should be saying in the email to the admissions office! Thank you! 

I emailed and informed them that my circumstances have changed and I have to rescind from the program. You can also state your reason. I made mine brief and they were understanding.

24 minutes ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Is anyone else having trouble making a decision without being able to visit the schools, and get a feel for the campus? I'm struggling! 

I watched lots of videos on YouTube of the city and campus. That may help you to get a feel for the environment. Talking to ppl who go to the school or live in the area may also help.

2 hours ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Is anyone else having trouble making a decision without being able to visit the schools, and get a feel for the campus? I'm struggling! 

Great programs to choose from!

Just to clarify that you would be moving to DC, Nola, Philly, NY...? 

When are the deadlines? Any scholarships? Any specialties? I have only done research on Tulane and I really like their certificates. 

I think each city has a lot of amazing opportunities.  NY is going to have the highest cost of living and Nola would likely be the lowest.

I put in my deposit for UIC a few weeks ago! Writing my new email signature now! Somehow in between the 10 years since I graduated now, no one has had my same last time in the public university system so I have the same email username, lol! SO glad to be going back. Finally I'll be done with school!

10 hours ago, DoctorDaydream said:

So my application to MSW Columbia was complete in May 2021.  Late I know. I received an interview AND a waitlist notification within days of each other within a week and a half after complete application status.  If you are not going to Columbia please hurry up and decline so that I can accept -_-

I applied February 15th and haven’t heard anything ?

12 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I just received today a notification for an interview next week for USC! I submitted the app April 5th. Did anyone else do an interview and if so how was it/when did you receive your decision after?

Who are you interviewing with? Are you applying for ground or on-line?

8 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I applied for on campus 2 year, and it’s with the director of admissions and a faculty member from the adult mental health department.

It’s definitely a good sign. In a previous comment, you had mentioned your undergraduate GPA. They would probably want to explore that. Additionally, if you can find out names of  interviewers - check our their bios and see if you have any common interests. 

Just now, DSWHopeful2021 said:

It’s definitely a good sign. In a previous comment, you had mentioned your undergraduate GPA. They would probably want to explore that. Additionally, if you can find out names of  interviewers - check our their bios and see if you have any common interests. 

Gotcha, yup I know the two who will be interviewing. I plan to learn more about their research and work, and review with myself why I applied to MSWs in the first place. Where are you at with your dsw process? Any tips for the msw interview? I’m nervous I wasn’t expecting one!

12 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

Gotcha, yup I know the two who will be interviewing. I plan to learn more about their research and work, and review with myself why I applied to MSWs in the first place. Where are you at with your dsw process? Any tips for the msw interview? I’m nervous I wasn’t expecting one!

Re: DSW, Waiting to hear back on an application. 

Advice: Review your SOP. Know your strengths and weaknesses, what do you what to do with an MSW, why USC? Have 2 questions for them. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

On 5/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Re: DSW, Waiting to hear back on an application. 

Advice: Review your SOP. Know your strengths and weaknesses, what do you what to do with an MSW, why USC? Have 2 questions for them. 

You’re right, thank you for the tips! Which schools are you waiting to hear back from? And did you have to do an interview with any of your choices? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

i hope this message finds everyone well. I am applying for Columbia’s MSW Spring 2022, after getting rejected for Fall 2021. I would like suggestions on how I could make my application better and maybe if you could connect me with career counsellors who can help me with the process

• 1 month later...