MSW.K

19 hours ago, Minhessica said:

Anyone know the right protocol to ask for more a financial aid from Columbia or have a template? Please let me know thank you!

Is the amount stated rewarded per year? I have been trying to call their financial aid office and am unable to reach anyone. Thank you!

1 hour ago, dbf2018 said:

Is the amount stated rewarded per year? I have been trying to call their financial aid office and am unable to reach anyone. Thank you!

Per semester since you have to apply yearly for FA. 

14 minutes ago, William Prince said:

For those that received your acceptance from Columbia. Did Columbia send out their decision in the evening/night or earlier in the day? 

I heard back in the evening (6pm CST)!

Hi guys. I need help on deciding between NYU and Columbia. I have been thinking about it for a month. NYU offers 30k in scholarship and no aid from Columbia. For anyone that chose between the 2 schools, why did you chose NYU/Columbia?

12 hours ago, angieeee said:

Hi guys. I need help on deciding between NYU and Columbia. I have been thinking about it for a month. NYU offers 30k in scholarship and no aid from Columbia. For anyone that chose between the 2 schools, why did you chose NYU/Columbia?

Have you paid your deposit for either schools yet? I chose NYU because their program is clinically focused and it was a bit cheaper. Columbia actually gave me more scholarship but the cost would've still been more than NYU. I would go with NYU since they offered you 30k. Both schools have similar field placements and curriculum. The biggest difference is Columbia offers tracks. Try talking to some current students/alums from both schools!

14 minutes ago, William Prince said:

How many of y'all still waiting for Columbia ? I am at 10 weeks and counting!!! ???

I am! I received the confirmation email 2/17 11 weeks since ago! 

For all those waiting on Columbia's decision, I received an updated letter in the portal last night(a rejection) after being on the wait list since March 26th(originally applied in Dec). They said they would let me know in early May so they are right on time.  I graduated with a  3.86GPA/Cum Laude  from a State school and have over 2000+ hours of social service hours, and I applied to the full time, 2 year, in person, clinical program. I have already committed to BC but know lots of people are waiting so hopefully this helps!   

Hi everyone! If anyone on this thread has been accepted to Hunter College's Silberman School of Social Work, feel free to dm me to connect!! If you're in the 2-year clinical practice method, we've started a groupme to connect

Hi All. I am also still awaiting Columbia (confirmed complete feb 17) ahh. Looked at my portal today saying they are awaiting my official transcripts from my undergrad. Are those needed to make an admissions decision? they have all my unofficial ones from my original application so wondering why they asking for them now so late (update: turns out I was a few seconds too early and just got my acceptance!)

Edited by SWStudent2

1 hour ago, SWStudent2 said:

Hi All. I am also still awaiting Columbia (confirmed complete feb 17) ahh. Looked at my portal today saying they are awaiting my official transcripts from my undergrad. Are those needed to make an admissions decision? they have all my unofficial ones from my original application so wondering why they asking for them now so late (update: turns out I was a few seconds too early and just got my acceptance!)

Congratssss I am still waiting

On 5/6/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jess123 said:

For all those waiting on Columbia's decision, I received an updated letter in the portal last night(a rejection) after being on the wait list since March 26th(originally applied in Dec). They said they would let me know in early May so they are right on time.  I graduated with a  3.86GPA/Cum Laude  from a State school and have over 2000+ hours of social service hours, and I applied to the full time, 2 year, in person, clinical program. I have already committed to BC but know lots of people are waiting so hopefully this helps!   

whoa your stats  are completely different from mine! I’m sorry about that if Columbia was your first choice. I was no where near a  3.8 gpa. But I’ve done a lot of social service hours and have a non profit. I did go to UCLA and have done research but I literally am curious as to what they are looking for in applicants. I wonder if they look heavily at LORs and essays. 

21 hours ago, Minhessica said:

whoa your stats  are completely different from mine! I’m sorry about that if Columbia was your first choice. I was no where near a  3.8 gpa. But I’ve done a lot of social service hours and have a non profit. I did go to UCLA and have done research but I literally am curious as to what they are looking for in applicants. I wonder if they look heavily at LORs and essays. 

I think it’s probably holistic? I had 4.0/3.8/3.91 GPAs (from high school to grad school) and 8 years related experience (some international experience as well). Poured my heart and soul into my essays lol ?

There’s a Facebook group for admitted students where you get an idea of everyone’s backgrounds 

7 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

I assume the answer is no... but anyone get an update from Columbia for those of us who still haven't heard?

I applied on Feb 15, got my confirmation on Feb 18, and a couple minutes ago got my decision - waitlisted. Luckily I've already committed to uchicago, but after 11 weeks of waiting, I can't help feeling a little let down. Hope you have better luck!

12 minutes ago, mswcandidate2021 said:

I applied on Feb 15, got my confirmation on Feb 18, and a couple minutes ago got my decision - waitlisted. Luckily I've already committed to uchicago, but after 11 weeks of waiting, I can't help feeling a little let down. Hope you have better luck!

Ugh I’ve been waiting 11 weeks too. I’m sorry about the waitlist but congrats on uchicago!!!! I hope I hear soon ?