(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

21 hours ago, newbie2020 said:

Does anyone know if second round offers have come from Carleton’s MPPA yet? 

22 minutes ago, TSK said:

I was accepted in the first round of admission and recently declined my offer. I seemed to be one of the last few to receive their offer for the first round and my deadline to accept was the 22nd. With that being said, I imagine that the offers for the second round should be coming out fairly soon as most first round applicant deadlines to accept have just passed. I know that doesn't specifically answer your question but I hope it helps!

Agree with TSK here. I am also going to decline my MPPA offer - second round offers thus, will certainly be coming out. Wishing the best for everyone.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:07 PM, newbie2020 said:

Does anyone know if second round offers have come from Carleton’s MPPA yet? 

I just heard from Carleton's MPPA this morning, haven't heard from Ryerson

On 3/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, lesliserables said:

Anyone else waiting on McGill? I think I saw someone accepted in the first round a month or so ago. Anyone heard back recently? 

I'm also waiting for McGill... nothing heard recently

On 3/23/2021 at 11:40 PM, YouniK said:

There’s usually a (mandatory) boot camp/math course offered over the summer prior to the first semester. You will do well as long as you do the work, attend tutorials, and get extra help when needed.

This is an example of the syllabus for microeconomics: http://www.atlas101.ca/pm/courses/toronto-ppg1002-microeconomics-for-policy-analysis/. Hopefully it’s helpful. 

Thank you so much for this! I hate anything numbers related so I may just be overthinking it because I'm sure others in the program are in the same boat as me.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:19 AM, IM26C4U said:

congrats!! im also not a huge fan of quantitative aspect lol (but i know it's rlly useful to know so..). they do offer a prep course! and i've been told that it gets less quantitative-heavy after the first semester, if it helps! 

Thank you, I hope so!

Is anyone here firmly accepting Munk?

20 minutes ago, seekingchange said:

Thank you so much for this! I hate anything numbers related so I may just be overthinking it because I'm sure others in the program are in the same boat as me.

Thank you, I hope so!

Is anyone here firmly accepting Munk?

I am! Wbu?

On 3/24/2021 at 5:01 AM, lesliserables said:

Anyone else waiting on McGill? I think I saw someone accepted in the first round a month or so ago. Anyone heard back recently? 

On 3/25/2021 at 8:34 AM, amberzsm said:

I'm also waiting for McGill... nothing heard recently

On 3/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, canadian02 said:

It's the end of another week... anyone hear from McGill today? 

Long time lurker hoping folks find this info useful. I got accepted to McGill / received the "recommend to the Graduate Office that you be admitted" email last Wednesday. Good luck everyone.

2 minutes ago, mppinca said:

Long time lurker hoping folks find this info useful. I got accepted to McGill / received the "recommend to the Graduate Office that you be admitted" email last Wednesday. Good luck everyone.

Thank you for the update! It's much appreciated.

Do you intend to accept?

On 3/24/2021 at 3:01 AM, lesliserables said:

I am also waiting on McGill. I applied mid-February just a few weeks before the deadline, so that may put me at a disadvantage. I haven't heard anything from anyone recently :/, but apparently we should all hear by April 15. Best of luck to you!

Folks, for thoes planning to go to MPPA and have to take ECON courses, Carleton has opened summer registration for ECON 1001 and ECON 1002. The courses via Carleton are less costly than what is available via Athabasca. Thought to share.

10 hours ago, bbj said:

Applied to ucalgary feb 1 and have not heard back ... is that normal? 

I’m in the same boat, haven’t heard from uCalgarly at all. Have only heard from Carleton. Hopefully we get some news soon.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:19 PM, mppinca said:

Hello, for the counselling psychology program? Can I ask if you applied to the internship or project concentration?

Hi everyone, 

I just got a letter of offer for admission to the UVic MPA Online program!?

Check your inbox folks! Good luck to everyone involved, and I will be accepting it, so hope to connect via events with others taking the program! ?

Edited by mars_maa

19 hours ago, mars_maa said:

Hi everyone, 

I just got a letter of offer for admission to the UVic MPA Online program!?

Check your inbox folks! Good luck to everyone involved, and I will be accepting it, so hope to connect via events with others taking the program! ?

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your experience and GPA? I am still under review by department for UVIC MPA online program. I hope I am still going to get an admission but always next year I suppose.

2 hours ago, Matcha-Tea said:

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your experience and GPA? I am still under review by department for UVIC MPA online program. I hope I am still going to get an admission but always next year I suppose.

Hi Matcha-Tea, certainly happy to help.

I had a really low under-grad GPA, I took a degree in health-care and struggled through graduating, so my GPA (cumulative and last two years (2.67/4!)) were low. I did however do post-grad schooling that pulled up my GPA a little bit - but still didn't bring it up to what I would have considered competitive. 

I have been working in healthcare since 2007, and got to mid-level management in health-authority settings, but not municipal/ provincial/ federal government. I had actually applied in 2017 to the MPA program and their feedback was that I lacked government experience. So I quit my high-paying job for public service (here in BC! ?).

Due to transferable skillset and experience in management, I have moved up quickly in public service and took on challenging projects. I applied again this year with 3 years in public service, but in my statement of intent - I spoke to my experiences working with federal (First Nations Inuit Health Branch) and provincial government (Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, etc) peers. 

I also had what I think were strong references (even though I didn't see them! ?)the sense that I got from my references was they really were my cheerleaders. I was honest with them about my standing going in, and they knew my skillset - so I suppose it helps too.

I am a mature student - though it doesn't really feel like it - but looking forward to going on this journey with my classmates. 

I sincerely hope you get in Matcha-Tea, it would be lovely to make connections IRL, but also within the community. I'm not sure what round I got the offer in, I'd say stick it out - continue to think positively and hopefully we'll get to do some learning together! ? Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, mars_maa said:

Hi Matcha-Tea, certainly happy to help.

I had a really low under-grad GPA, I took a degree in health-care and struggled through graduating, so my GPA (cumulative and last two years (2.67/4!)) were low. I did however do post-grad schooling that pulled up my GPA a little bit - but still didn't bring it up to what I would have considered competitive. 

I have been working in healthcare since 2007, and got to mid-level management in health-authority settings, but not municipal/ provincial/ federal government. I had actually applied in 2017 to the MPA program and their feedback was that I lacked government experience. So I quit my high-paying job for public service (here in BC! ?).

Due to transferable skillset and experience in management, I have moved up quickly in public service and took on challenging projects. I applied again this year with 3 years in public service, but in my statement of intent - I spoke to my experiences working with federal (First Nations Inuit Health Branch) and provincial government (Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, etc) peers. 

I also had what I think were strong references (even though I didn't see them! ?)the sense that I got from my references was they really were my cheerleaders. I was honest with them about my standing going in, and they knew my skillset - so I suppose it helps too.

I am a mature student - though it doesn't really feel like it - but looking forward to going on this journey with my classmates. 

I sincerely hope you get in Matcha-Tea, it would be lovely to make connections IRL, but also within the community. I'm not sure what round I got the offer in, I'd say stick it out - continue to think positively and hopefully we'll get to do some learning together! ? Good luck to you!

Thank you mars_maa for the detailed, informative reply - I really appreciate it. 
We have similar backgrounds! I struggled in my undergrad and had a similar GPA to you, my last two years were better but again not high enough to be ‘competitive’ by any means. 
I am also a mature student, I got my undergrad in 2015. I started with the BC Public Service back in 2017, it is almost my four year anniversary. I work as a policy analyst currently in health. It is great to hear about your experience working with a variety of important stakeholders - I should have emphasized my stakeholder engagement more! (Hindsight is 20/20 ha.)

I included four references all who provided what I hope was a good reference haha! 

I haven’t received a rejection and my status reads “Under Review by Department”. I suppose it’s better than a rejection, I am trying to be positive and think maybe I am on a wait list or in the next round of admissions and will receive one on Tuesday ?

Would be fantastic to connect more if I get admitted! I will keep you posted. Not sure how UVic’s ‘rejection’ works, if they send an email or if I just don’t hear at all! Fingers crossed in the meantime..