MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

7 minutes ago, Painfullywaiting said:

Well I am definitely starting to freak out. I’ve had one interview with the Tyler ceramics dept. They said admission decisions should be out this month through March. I have not heard back from any of the other schools I’ve applied to. ? Has anyone heard from the following programs? 

Alfred (ceramics)

Cranbrook (ceramics)

Penn state (art)

UW (3D4M)

VCU (Craft and Material studies) 

UO (art)

University of Colorado Boulder (Art Practices) 

I think Alfreds deadline is in February, so that might be a little before we hear from them (I also applied for ceramics).... Good luck!

Hey all, I'm curious what everyone thinks about ranking. I applied to a few top ranked schools for ceramics, and currently I've been accepted into two. But I was also accepted into an unranked program that my gut is telling me is perfect for me (they have a strong program, some notable alumni and a professor I share a lot of research interests with). All of my offers are similar money wise, (some more then others) but I'm just trying to make a decision. How much do you think ranking matters when it comes to schools? 

Right now I'm deciding between Umass Dartmouth, ASU, and OSU. UMD being the school I really vibed with. 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, CheesyClay said:

Hey all, I'm curious what everyone thinks about ranking. I applied to a few top ranked schools for ceramics, and currently I've been accepted into two. But I was also accepted into an unranked program that my gut is telling me is perfect for me (they have a strong program, some notable alumni and a professor I share a lot of research interests with). All of my offers are similar money wise, (some more then others) but I'm just trying to make a decision. How much do you think ranking matters when it comes to schools? 

Right now I'm deciding between Umass Dartmouth, ASU, and OSU. UMD being the school I really vibed with. 

Thanks!

I definitely value profs with similar research interests and alumni success over rank. Rank becomes a little arbitrary if the school just isn't right for you; I was originally planning on applying to Yale painting, but after seeing the work that faculty and students were producing, I didn't even bother.

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would join in on the fun!(:

I was kinda late submitting my applications, most were a couple days before the deadline, I’m not sure if that makes much of a difference in the timeline...

I’ve applied to these programs

VCU Sculpture

VCU Media Design

SAIC Art+Tech (have been contacted for interview)

OCAD Digital Futures

OCAD interdisciplinary art

CMU interdisciplinary 

UCLA Design Media Arts

CalArts Art + Tech

MIT ACT 

So far I’ve only been contacted for interview from SAIC. Has anyone heard anything back from any of these schools/programs? Also does any anyone know much about any of these? Thanks so much, I will keep everyone posted with the progress. If anyone is curious about my work you can see my portfolio at reidarowood.com(: 

thanks?

Does anyone know how many people theyd be accepting for SVA MFA Fine arts? I got an interview call as well scheduled on the 4th.

Also havent heard back from SAIC so guess Im rejected.

Here's my list:

MICA Mt. Royal- no answer

MICA Rinehart- interview

SAIC Sculpture and painting-  no answer

Yale Painting- no answer

SVA- interview

Parsons- no answer

Glasgow-  no answer

Goldsmiths-  no answer

UAL- interview

RCA (Round2)-  no answer

Slade-  no answer

PLEASE LMK GUYS IF ANYONE OF YOU HAS RECEIVED ANY CALLS FROM THE ABOVE MENTIONED COLLEGES

Does anybody know how many people are called for interview in these colleges and how many are actually selected each year?

From what I can discern, around 30 students are invited for interview at SVA and even MICA Rinehart. But how many of these are actually selected??

I'm specifically interested in knowing about Yale painting,  SVA,  MICA (Mount Royal and Rinehart), Parsons, Glasgow School of Art, Slade

2 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

Does anybody know how many people are called for interview in these colleges and how many are actually selected each year?

From what I can discern, around 30 students are invited for interview at SVA and even MICA Rinehart. But how many of these are actually selected??

I'm specifically interested in knowing about Yale painting,  SVA,  MICA (Mount Royal and Rinehart), Parsons, Glasgow School of Art, Slade

I heard for Yale painting, if u get the interview, then its 1 in 5, so 20% chance.

1 hour ago, artist wannabe said:

I heard for Yale painting, if u get the interview, then its 1 in 5, so 20% chance.

In the open house they said that they interview 15-20% of applicants. So it depends how many apply. Since they did say that significantly fewer people applied this year hopefully the stats are around the same even though they are only accepting 50% of their normal class size. 

Edited by theundoing

30 minutes ago, theundoing said:

In the open house they said that they interview 15-20% of applicants. So it depends how many apply. Since they did say that significantly fewer people applied this year hopefully the stats are around the same even though they are only accepting 50% of their normal class size. 

I also heard that Yale loves diversity in their class and especially when it comes to artwork. My friend told me that many individuals with different ethnic backgrounds didn't apply last cycle?

Edited by NoraEllie