MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

30 minutes ago, Ruby123Mark said:

This is great info - thank you. I'm accepted for the low-res program at SVA and SAIC, and I live on the west coast, and am not able to move at this point. Given that I'm on the west coast (in not the biggest city), does it even make a difference if I do my low res MFA in NYC or Chicago in terms of showing post-graduation? I certainly want to make those great connections, but am concerned about my actual physical location for that.

I believe that your MFA is key to where you want to lay down your roots for connections and post-graduate opportunities. If you want to be in NYC afterwards, SVA is probably best. Same for Chicago and SAIC.

12 hours ago, cjfa said:

Got waitlisted from VCU Kinetic Imaging today- the email said they are only taking 3-4 students ?
Also regretting my choice to apply for SAIC Art and Tech instead of Printmedia... think I would have had a better shot there. Plenty of options still open though. Everyone else having a good day?

Did you have an interview before being waitlisted?

33 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I believe that your MFA is key to where you want to lay down your roots for connections and post-graduate opportunities. If you want to be in NYC afterwards, SVA is probably best. Same for Chicago and SAIC.

Yep - makes sense ~

19 hours ago, ZellFin said:

As a heads up for anyone waiting to hear back from Concordia University, I emailed their admissions office and was notified of my admission status. 

I’m accepted, so very happy but wondering if it’s typical for Canadian MFA programs to just not interview? 

Good luck to everyone else waiting! 

What program did you apply for? Painting and drawing? Congrats!

On 3/1/2021 at 4:08 AM, teetertotter said:

HALP! 

I got into SVA and SAIC low res. I'm so back and forth on where to go. SAIC still hasn't offered a financial package, but SVA offered 20% off. Any thoughts? NYC vs Chicago? Program directors are very different!! Which program do you think is better?? ANY thoughts welcome at this point... I'm utterly torn.

Wait is this SVA Fine Arts? Because I received an acceptance too on 15th Feb but havent gotten any Financial Aid. I just assumed they'd be distributing that later in March

7 minutes ago, ttrow11 said:

Did you have an interview before being waitlisted?

No, nothing until the email yesterday. I saw some other departments had already done interviews, so if you're still waiting you may be in the same boat

5 hours ago, rmwphoto said:

So.... I'm weirded out and upset, I got a portal update from UT Austin that said "Because your application file was not complete by the departmental deadline, the Committee on Graduate Studies in your program has canceled your application." 

Obviously a rejection, but I'm wildly confused because my application was submitted on time? Anyone else get something like this? I'm thinking of reaching out to both the overall graduate studies department as well as the MFA program's .

I have got the same thing in my emails. 
i reached out as I thought that may be I fucked up part of my application and forgot to submit something and they emailed me back with this:

I appreciate your inquiry, and understand the information on the Graduate Studies website may be unclear. In this case, the Studio admissions committee decided to not move forward with your application. Regarding the incomplete status, if applications are denied and also not complete at the time of review (at least one component is missing or pending), they cannot be processed as denials. They must be processed as cancellations.

I do not have specific information regarding the factors that were part of application decisions, but you are welcome to re-apply for the next application cycle. Let me know if I can provide further clarification.”

i do find this rejection incredibly confusing and misleading as they make it sound like it could have been that I just forgot to finish part of my application 

Also, Parsons asked to have a second call with me for tomorrow (Photo program). I am quite nervous as our first interview was really long and intense. I am wondering what other questions they have. 

2 minutes ago, cjfa said:

No, nothing until the email yesterday. I saw some other departments had already done interviews, so if you're still waiting you may be in the same boat

I see. Even if I am waitlisted or rejected, I hope to hear some type of update soon bc I'm getting anxious lol! Good luck to you :)

Rejected from OSU's MFA program for creative writing. Was notified by the program director via email. 

Still waiting on Michener and Texas State University (though I currently attend Texas State and have a rapport with professors who would notify me of my decision if I got in--I received notification of my acceptance for my backup program before receiving my official acceptance email, so I think it is safe to say I was not accepted into the MFA program). I was not anticipating acceptances anywhere, so it is all good! :)

I heard a rumor that people who call Michener directly have had success with finding their admissions status, but the offices are all closed due to COVID. Has anyone e-mailed to see? 

Edited by AnotherSadPoet

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

I have got the same thing in my emails. 
i reached out as I thought that may be I fucked up part of my application and forgot to submit something and they emailed me back with this:

I appreciate your inquiry, and understand the information on the Graduate Studies website may be unclear. In this case, the Studio admissions committee decided to not move forward with your application. Regarding the incomplete status, if applications are denied and also not complete at the time of review (at least one component is missing or pending), they cannot be processed as denials. They must be processed as cancellations.

I do not have specific information regarding the factors that were part of application decisions, but you are welcome to re-apply for the next application cycle. Let me know if I can provide further clarification.”

i do find this rejection incredibly confusing and misleading as they make it sound like it could have been that I just forgot to finish part of my application 

Thanks for adding on! I pretty much got the same message verbatim. Pretty dejected since it was my number one choice and other schools have been silent aside from SVA and GSU.

I also am not fond of how the application has been at Austin (three different submission pages?!) And then this, leaves somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of how much I admire the program.

7 hours ago, rmwphoto said:

So.... I'm weirded out and upset, I got a portal update from UT Austin that said "Because your application file was not complete by the departmental deadline, the Committee on Graduate Studies in your program has canceled your application." 

Obviously a rejection, but I'm wildly confused because my application was submitted on time? Anyone else get something like this? I'm thinking of reaching out to both the overall graduate studies department as well as the MFA program's .

Definitely reach out -- you have nothing to lose by trying! I applied there too and for a while my application was "incomplete" because it was so difficult for me to get ahold of official transcripts. They were pretty communicative with me over email, they reached out to let me know the deadline was approaching and that I needed to complete my app in the portal. I'm applying to the graphic design program and last week was invited to an interview, which I'll be doing tomorrow. All that to say, not sure which program you're applying to but there may still be time to get a real person in the department to look into this for you. Best of luck!

I absolutely agree with you, it was my top choice too (I also got accepted to SVA). I am also flabbergasted that programs like UT that are accepting only 1 photo student this year have not been transparent about the situation from the start. They do not offer application fee waivers either. I lost my job because of the pandemic and my weekly unemployment benefit is 97$ and the application fee to UT ate my weekly benefit basically. And 1 person per program is a roll of a dice essentially. 
And then their answer is basically.... oh well you could have been rejected AND ALSO you could have forgotten to submit your application all together. Like come on guys. We all know what is going on, just be transparent with me. 

3 minutes ago, rmwphoto said:

Thanks for adding on! I pretty much got the same message verbatim. Pretty dejected since it was my number one choice and other schools have been silent aside from SVA and GSU.

I also am not fond of how the application has been at Austin (three different submission pages?!) And then this, leaves somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of how much I admire the program.

Can I see your work anywhere? My IG is @erakhilkina

Does anyone else find themselves not making art while we wait for decisions? It feels like all I do is work and stress about not hearing anything lol.

Going forward, what are yalls plan b's looking like if you don't start Fall '21? I'm starting to look at residencies and post bacc programs just in case. 

2 minutes ago, gillemc said:

Definitely reach out -- you have nothing to lose by trying! I applied there too and for a while my application was "incomplete" because it was so difficult for me to get ahold of official transcripts. They were pretty communicative with me over email, they reached out to let me know the deadline was approaching and that I needed to complete my app in the portal. I'm applying to the graphic design program and last week was invited to an interview, which I'll be doing tomorrow. All that to say, not sure which program you're applying to but there may still be time to get a real person in the department to look into this for you. Best of luck!

Thanks for this, but the grad coordinator did get back with me and say it was a rejection. Good luck with your interview!! 

2 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I absolutely agree with you, it was my top choice too (I also got accepted to SVA). I am also flabbergasted that programs like UT that are accepting only 1 photo student this year have not been transparent about the situation from the start. They do not offer application fee waivers either. I lost my job because of the pandemic and my weekly unemployment benefit is 97$ and the application fee to UT ate my weekly benefit basically. And 1 person per program is a roll of a dice essentially. 
And then their answer is basically.... oh well you could have been rejected AND ALSO you could have forgotten to submit your application all together. Like come on guys. We all know what is going on, just be transparent with me. 

Can I see your work anywhere? My IG is @erakhilkina

Wow that's shocking, when did you hear only 1 student? When I spoke with grad students there in a zoom Q&A, I was told 3-4 but it could have changed. I absolutely agree that schools needed to be more transparent; the vibe I continued to get from multiple schools was "we're not expecting many applications." It wasn't until after my applications were done were I noticing that it's likely way more than usual AND they're accepting less. I also lost my job and have been on unemployment so I feel you! It's been absolutely rough and I've been working without studio access or other creative minds around me :(

And yes! My website is rachelmwarren.com Not quite everything is there, but hopefully still comes off as put together ?

11 minutes ago, rmwphoto said:

Does anyone else find themselves not making art while we wait for decisions? It feels like all I do is work and stress about not hearing anything lol.

Going forward, what are yalls plan b's looking like if you don't start Fall '21? I'm starting to look at residencies and post bacc programs just in case. 

I already accepted my offer into Texas State's Master's in Rhetoric and Composition. I love poetry, I've won some contests, but I knew the competition was fierce and didn't really anticipate getting into any MFA programs. Regardless, many of these programs share coursework that overlaps with other Master's in English programs with the main difference in instruction being the workshops you attend. I was fortunate enough to have friends in different MFA programs give me their perspectives, who highly encouraged me to compare the required coursework between different degree programs and see if I can take courses that incorporate certain course materials that can develop my writing as a whole--creative or academic.

I figured that I can always take courses, collegiate or communal, that cover creative writing techniques regardless of where I go or what area of English I choose to study. To me, an acceptance into an MFA program would have just been a stamp of approval from strangers who ultimately will not define my career as a writer. Would I have gone to OSU or Michener if I had the chance? Undoubtedly. But, the chances were really really slim. 

Not sure if this is helpful for anyone else receiving rejections, but that is just the mentality I've had throughout the entire application process and has saved me a lot of mental distress.

TLDR; My plan B is the Rhetoric and Composition program at Texas State University, but I applied knowing I would likely get accepted into that program and not into any MFA's I applied to. In a way, my Plan B was really my Plan A and my Plan A was my attempt at reaching for the stars. *shrug*

Does anyone have any knowledge they can share about SMFA Tufts?  I got accepted and I really liked the faculty member I spoke with and I'm leaning towards attending there but just read about them having some issues several years back.  If anyone has perspective they can share with me, I would greatly appreciate it!  I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools.  I've also been accepted to U Iowa with a very generous offer.  They accepted me with no interview, which I thought was odd, so if anyone has anything to share about them as well, that would be great.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, monarcha said:

Does anyone have any knowledge they can share about SMFA Tufts?  I got accepted and I really liked the faculty member I spoke with and I'm leaning towards attending there but just read about them having some issues several years back.  If anyone has perspective they can share with me, I would greatly appreciate it!  I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools.  I've also been accepted to U Iowa with a very generous offer.  They accepted me with no interview, which I thought was odd, so if anyone has anything to share about them as well, that would be great.  Thanks!

I also got into SMFA, and I saw that a few days ago and was wondering the same thing. I really did like the faculty I interviewed with, but the school is just so expensive even with the scholarship they offered me. 
I think we’re in the same boat of not wanting to attend if it’s going to be a hectic time.

13 hours ago, Killerdonuts said:

SAIC is a nonprofit private institution. There are big differences between nonprofit private, nonprofit public, and for-profit institutions. I have worked for both nonprofit public and nonprofit private universities in NYC and in Portland. They operate much differently than a for-profit. 

Also, I'm glad you have had good experiences in NYC, but you should consider that others have different means. I am disabled and earn very little. I pay $1650 for a very small one-bedroom which I split with my partner in Brooklyn...the building is horribly maintained (the heat was off all winter last year, our ceiling collapsed and damaged many of our belongs, and the landlord ghosted both us and the renters insurance company) I can not afford a $35 application fee let alone a $500 studio space. 

There are a lot of ways to be a successful artist. I have managed two galleries (one commercial and one academic) and have experience with grassroots arts projects. Being a gallery artist is just one way to be an artist. You can move to NYC and hope you are the 1% that makes it big as a gallery artist, or you can work in an accessible arts community on a more affordable coty (say in Chicago or Philly or Montreal) and have a very success community engaged career. If I can't afford to make art, than I'm not going to make it as any kind of artist. 

I don't think we should be letting the NYC art scene dictate the only way to be a successful artist.

Thank you for saying this. I think its important people realize "affordable" is different for different people and that NY may not work for everyone. I live here and grew up here and dont think its affordable aha. I can't afford studio space either (and I work a full time job, which most artist I know do not) and my partner and I have a "home studio" which is just the bedroom in our one bedroom. It works perfectly for us, but its not the big beautiful studio space you see many others having. Now I also know artists with many roommates who pay less in rent, but pay about the cost of rent for a studio monthly. It greatly depends on HOW you want to live, and WHY you want to be someplace. Debating one city over another feels a bit silly on here when it should really be about the school experience you want and what you plan to do after.