MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

6 minutes ago, berries said:

I had an interview for BU Painting last week but haven't heard from them yet about the final decision. 

Has anyone received financial aid package from SAIC Painting yet? I'm accepted but haven't received any information regarding financial package.

Congratulations on your interview/acceptance! Can I ask how it went/who you spoke to?

6 minutes ago, katfude said:

What program did you apply for? I had an interview with the sculpture department on the February 24th, and they said I would hear back in the middle of March. I think I heard that people had interviewed with painting as well, but I'm not certain. 

I applied for their Painting program - apparently they started interviews last week or earlier. Not sure if I should still hope to get one?

On 2/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, teetertotter said:

HALP! 

I got into SVA and SAIC low res. I'm so back and forth on where to go. SAIC still hasn't offered a financial package, but SVA offered 20% off. Any thoughts? NYC vs Chicago? Program directors are very different!! Which program do you think is better?? ANY thoughts welcome at this point... I'm utterly torn.

Hey -

I got into SVA and SAIC low res as well - Feeling really torn between the lure of NYC and SAIC's reputation. SVA offered me 25% tuition, and SAIC less - I hope someone responds for both of our sakes now! Where do you live by the by?

2 hours ago, Maldoror said:

Thank you for all the helpful inputs!

Right now I’m mainly trying to make a decision between UMN and SAIC.

UMN provided a very generous funding package and is a 3yr program. They have a summer artist residency program in Berlin which is a plus as I always wanted to study abroad. My concern is that the cohort is very small... The same concern applies to UIC as well. Though it means better student to faculty ratio and maybe more focused?

SAIC on the other hand has a larger cohorts and a vibrant community. It’s more theory based so it’s a better fit for me. I’d like to have a gallery career in the future and I feel like I could benefit from going to the “right” city and studying in a reputable program? Teaching is a more sustainable way to maintain a studio practice, but from my conversations with a couple of grads from both schools it felt to me that secure a stable position in academia is extremely difficult. I survived with very little money in undergrads, worked many part time jobs to support myself and my parents. I didn’t have any student loans but it was such a stressful experience that I don’t wish to repeat. It’s probably unfeasible to work that many jobs in grad school anyways… The current student loan interest rate for grad school is at 4.3%, with a 50k loan I'll need to pay $311/mo for 20 yrs. This monthly payment can be saved by not partying, not smoking, eating 2 meals a day and not have a dog. Idk…I mean… am I still in my right mind?

In my art practice, I avoid all partying and smoking and pets... so doing well here :)... I keep a strict regimen of work and focus on my studio hours. I don't mind the time I get to hang out and help others too :)

Got waitlisted from VCU Kinetic Imaging today- the email said they are only taking 3-4 students ?
Also regretting my choice to apply for SAIC Art and Tech instead of Printmedia... think I would have had a better shot there. Plenty of options still open though. Everyone else having a good day?

Edited by cjfa

23 minutes ago, geemun said:

Do you have a strong/stable career now? I only ask because 300 a month sounds doable if you have one, but I can tell you i make in the 50k range in NYC and paying rent + all other bills plus my loan payment (which is around the same) is... hard. I am so grateful for the federal deferment right now LOL 

I think you make a good point about your personality though. If you really feel like you need to be around a lot of people for your creativity to thrive, that is good to keep in mind. But i like to think of a small program that offers a lot of aid as a place that really wants to invest in YOU. They believe in their students, they want to put money into you and your experience. I think that's really valuable. 

I think either way you should feel really great that you got into both of these programs and are having to make this decision lol 

Thank you for pointing that out! I don't have a career... I just have an old car and many useless skills. I shouldn't've assumed that I'd magically get a job after graduation and start paying debts.? I shall think again tmr after I restored my rationality. 

I agree with you on the benefit of being in a small cohort. I actually prefer a smaller groups, but 3 might be too small a group? I feel that more peers means more connections, I personally find exchanging ideas with studio mates inspiring, and that sort of conversations/discourses are part of mfa programs.

14 minutes ago, Maldoror said:

Thank you for pointing that out! I don't have a career... I just have an old car and many useless skills. I shouldn't've assumed that I'd magically get a job after graduation and start paying debts.? I shall think again tmr after I restored my rationality. 

I agree with you on the benefit of being in a small cohort. I actually prefer a smaller groups, but 3 might be too small a group? I feel that more peers means more connections, I personally find exchanging ideas with studio mates inspiring, and that sort of conversations/discourses are part of mfa programs.

I think 3 is rather too small and for critiques I honestly would not feel like I would be getting much or enough feedback.

1 hour ago, erinwhomst said:

Just curious - has anyone applied to and heard back from Boston University? Anything about interviews, acceptance offers, or rejections?

They're tied for my first choice and the more rejections I get back from programs the more "freak-out" I get lol

still silence from them on my end, too. the "freak-out" is getting real haha

51 minutes ago, Ruby123Mark said:

Hey -

I got into SVA and SAIC low res as well - Feeling really torn between the lure of NYC and SAIC's reputation. SVA offered me 25% tuition, and SAIC less - I hope someone responds for both of our sakes now! Where do you live by the by?

Not sure if this has any baring on either of your decisions, but SVA is a for-profit institution, which I'm very dubious of... That reduced tuition might actually be just a reduction of their profit off of your education.

Also, NYC is overrated ? I moved to Brooklyn 2 years ago and everything is "pay to play" - all calls for artists have at least a $35 fee, and good luck affording a studio space after you graduate, if you want to stay in NYC.

You should go to grad school in a place you might want to live for awhile afterwards, so you can use the connections you've made in the community. Chicago (where I have also lived) is much more affordable and has more accessible artist opportunities, including more calls for artists that don't have fees. 

7 minutes ago, Killerdonuts said:

Not sure if this has any baring on either of your decisions, but SVA is a for-profit institution, which I'm very dubious of... That reduced tuition might actually be just a reduction of their profit off of your education.

Also, NYC is overrated ? I moved to Brooklyn 2 years ago and everything is "pay to play" - all calls for artists have at least a $35 fee, and good luck affording a studio space after you graduate, if you want to stay in NYC.

You should go to grad school in a place you might want to live for awhile afterwards, so you can use the connections you've made in the community. Chicago (where I have also lived) is much more affordable and has more accessible artist opportunities, including more calls for artists that don't have fees. 

Not sure what part of Brooklyn that would be apart from Williamsburg which is pricey. Bushwick and other parts of Brooklyn are quite reasonable if you know where to look. Plus NYC has the heavyweight galleries (Chicago tends to be more experimental and raw) as well if you want to engage with that scene.

I am part of the Paradice Palase group in Brooklyn and their studio prices are very very reasonable. https://www.paradicepalase.com/join Not everything in NYC is pay to play until you are bribing the local government for a bar permit ?

1 hour ago, Ruby123Mark said:

Hey -

Killerdonuts just posted a good reply to this but I would disagree that studio space is unaffordable, depending on your needs and willingness to commute- lots of cheap studio space available in Ridgewood, and even in East Williamsburg/Bushwick neighborhoods (I have a studio here).

Local calls for artists have frequently had application fees- this is normal for larger calls, they're usually low and help keep them from being absolutely flooded. If you're smart you can easily spot the difference between worthwhile calls and vanity shows. I have noticed an uptick in artist-run spaces since covid rent prices hit industrial areas (cheap cheap). Would love to see the return of galleries like Signal. There are also plenty of calls online without fees.

As far as schools, SAIC definitely has a better reputation. I don't know how much low res factors into either of these. Both schools and cities are good, viable options. If you can try to talk with people in the programs or recent alumni

1 minute ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Not sure what part of Brooklyn that would be apart from Williamsburg which is pricey. Bushwick and other parts of Brooklyn are quite reasonable if you know where to look. Plus NYC has the heavyweight galleries (Chicago tends to be more experimental and raw) as well if you want to engage with that scene.

I am part of the Paradice Palase group in Brooklyn and their studio prices are very very reasonable. https://www.paradicepalase.com/join Not everything in NYC is pay to play until you are bribing the local government for a bar permit ?

Just replied too, completely agree with this. Thanks for the Paradice Palace link. Never heard of them.

Just now, cjfa said:

Just replied too, completely agree with this. Thanks for the Paradice Palace link. Never heard of them.

Indeed making random blanket statements about a city which is as huge as NYC is definitely bad advice. As a dude born in Brooklyn and involved in their scene (and I had two artist friends just move to NYC without any issues), I think if you can play it smart there without incurring a huge cost.

SVA is a for-profit university and so is SAIC. In fact every MFA program is a for-profit place so I don't think SVA can be singled out. That's the nature of America?!?

1 hour ago, erinwhomst said:

Congratulations on your interview/acceptance! Can I ask how it went/who you spoke to?

Thank you! I spoke with Jaya, Marc, and two students from the mfa painting program. It was almost like a critique. And they gave me a plenty of time to ask questions at the end of the interview

11 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Indeed making random blanket statements about a city which is as huge as NYC is definitely bad advice. As a dude born in Brooklyn and involved in their scene (and I had two artist friends just move to NYC without any issues), I think if you can play it smart there without incurring a huge cost.

SVA is a for-profit university and so is SAIC. In fact every MFA program is a for-profit place so I don't think SVA can be singled out. That's the nature of America?!?

SAIC is a nonprofit private institution. There are big differences between nonprofit private, nonprofit public, and for-profit institutions. I have worked for both nonprofit public and nonprofit private universities in NYC and in Portland. They operate much differently than a for-profit. 

Also, I'm glad you have had good experiences in NYC, but you should consider that others have different means. I am disabled and earn very little. I pay $1650 for a very small one-bedroom which I split with my partner in Brooklyn...the building is horribly maintained (the heat was off all winter last year, our ceiling collapsed and damaged many of our belongs, and the landlord ghosted both us and the renters insurance company) I can not afford a $35 application fee let alone a $500 studio space. 

There are a lot of ways to be a successful artist. I have managed two galleries (one commercial and one academic) and have experience with grassroots arts projects. Being a gallery artist is just one way to be an artist. You can move to NYC and hope you are the 1% that makes it big as a gallery artist, or you can work in an accessible arts community on a more affordable coty (say in Chicago or Philly or Montreal) and have a very success community engaged career. If I can't afford to make art, than I'm not going to make it as any kind of artist. 

I don't think we should be letting the NYC art scene dictate the only way to be a successful artist.

2 minutes ago, Killerdonuts said:

SAIC is a nonprofit private institution. There are big differences between nonprofit private, nonprofit public, and for-profit institutions. I have worked for both nonprofit public and nonprofit private universities in NYC and in Portland. They operate much differently than a for-profit. 

Also, I'm glad you have had good experiences in NYC, but you should consider that others have different means. I am disabled and earn very little. I pay $1650 for a very small one-bedroom which I split with my partner in Brooklyn...the building is horribly maintained (the heat was off all winter last year, our ceiling collapsed and damaged many of our belongs, and the landlord ghosted both us and the renters insurance company) I can not afford a $35 application fee let alone a $500 studio space. 

There are a lot of ways to be a successful artist. I have managed two galleries (one commercial and one academic) and have experience with grassroots arts projects. Being a gallery artist is just one way to be an artist. You can move to NYC and hope you are the 1% that makes it big as a gallery artist, or you can work in an accessible arts community on a more affordable coty (say in Chicago or Philly or Montreal) and have a very success community engaged career. If I can't afford to make art, than I'm not going to make it as any kind of artist. 

I don't think we should be letting the NYC art scene dictate the only way to be a successful artist.

Also there is the Los Angeles art scene too. (That's the other realm of Artforum reviews.) I agree with you here that the community engaged artist is important for sure but putting it as the primary source of how the contemporary art world function overlooks the fact that it's very complex.

NYC isn't just top tier galleries. There are mid-tier galleries where folks are successful. And there are many ways to do your own type of thing. One good example was Momenta Art which did an exceptional job promoting very difficult art and right now Postmasters is very cutting-edge here.

I agree that other cities are very nice alternatives as well but statistics have shown that in general the bulk of artists are still centered in NYC and LA and Chicago where the markets lie.

So.... I'm weirded out and upset, I got a portal update from UT Austin that said "Because your application file was not complete by the departmental deadline, the Committee on Graduate Studies in your program has canceled your application." 

Obviously a rejection, but I'm wildly confused because my application was submitted on time? Anyone else get something like this? I'm thinking of reaching out to both the overall graduate studies department as well as the MFA program's .

29 minutes ago, rmwphoto said:

So.... I'm weirded out and upset, I got a portal update from UT Austin that said "Because your application file was not complete by the departmental deadline, the Committee on Graduate Studies in your program has canceled your application." 

Obviously a rejection, but I'm wildly confused because my application was submitted on time? Anyone else get something like this? I'm thinking of reaching out to both the overall graduate studies department as well as the MFA program's .

Call...

Them...

10 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

This is great info - thank you. I'm accepted for the low-res program at SVA and SAIC, and I live on the west coast, and am not able to move at this point. Given that I'm on the west coast (in not the biggest city), does it even make a difference if I do my low res MFA in NYC or Chicago in terms of showing post-graduation? I certainly want to make those great connections, but am concerned about my actual physical location for that.

10 hours ago, Killerdonuts said:

This is great info - thank you - I had heard that SVA is for profit. I got about a 20% tuition scholarship at SAIC. I live on the west coast, and am not able to move for a long time. Given that I'm on the west coast (in not the biggest city), does it even make a difference if I do my low res MFA in NYC or Chicago in terms of showing post-graduation? I certainly want to make those great connections, but am concerned about my actual physical location for that, frankly.

10 hours ago, cjfa said:

Killerdonuts just posted a good reply to this but I would disagree that studio space is unaffordable, depending on your needs and willingness to commute- lots of cheap studio space available in Ridgewood, and even in East Williamsburg/Bushwick neighborhoods (I have a studio here).

Local calls for artists have frequently had application fees- this is normal for larger calls, they're usually low and help keep them from being absolutely flooded. If you're smart you can easily spot the difference between worthwhile calls and vanity shows. I have noticed an uptick in artist-run spaces since covid rent prices hit industrial areas (cheap cheap). Would love to see the return of galleries like Signal. There are also plenty of calls online without fees.

As far as schools, SAIC definitely has a better reputation. I don't know how much low res factors into either of these. Both schools and cities are good, viable options. If you can try to talk with people in the programs or recent alumni

Thank you - I think they're both good options. I live in a smaller city on the west coast now, and am unable to move for a very long time. How do you think this would impact my exhibition opportunities post-grad from either institution? Part of the reason I'm going to grad school is for the connections in general, and for showing.

10 hours ago, Killerdonuts said:

I couldn't agree more- honestly I've been waiting for someone to say this. There seems to be so much focus on this thread about "heavyweight" galleries and schools which is all fine and good but that is only one aspect of being an artist. I feel that when people focus all their energy on achieving status through either an education or representation they are in part playing into the system that benefits the art market at the expense of the artist. I am encouraged to see artists like San Diego Stone who's work fits beautifully both within and outside the arts. They are confident in their position as an artist and as a member of a greater community and it shows.