MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Trying to cope with rejections using memes (this one's specifically for all my young queer artists out there who live in abusive housrholds and were hoping for grad school to be a smooth & unsuspecting springboard into getting away from their family since moving out might not be an option) ≤3

grad school memes.jpg

As I'm winding down this application cycle. I have decided not to commit to any of my offers this year. I just don't have the means to afford it. I will say, it was disappointing and heart breaking to have to turn down many great schools this year. There's always a second go around next year.

Thanks to those that were kind enough to answer questions and share thoughts throughout the process.

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

As I'm winding down this application cycle. I have decided not to commit to any of my offers this year. I just don't have the means to afford it. I will say, it was disappointing and heart breaking to have to turn down many great schools this year. There's always a second go around next year.

Thanks to those that were kind enough to answer questions and share thoughts throughout the process.

Maybe try Europe next year?The price ranges from FREE up to 10 K USD...

On 4/8/2021 at 2:52 PM, MFA Troll said:

Was there an excess of MFA applications this year?

The director of the program I accepted an offer from said that they had a massive influx in applications this year. It is a state program and I received a full tuition waiver, teaching fellowship and 15k stipend plus health insurance. 
Any time there is an economic downturn, there is an excess of applicants to graduate programs. Unemployment rates skyrocketed this year due to Covid so for many people grad school is a way to make yourself potentially more employable in a future where the job market in this country will be highly competitive due to repercussions from the pandemic.  For programs like mine, that provide a stipend and TA-ship (which is essentially a job), it makes sense that there would be more applicants as it’s a way of furthering your career and being paid to do so, in a time where many (artists in particular) are facing grave financial uncertainty. For fee based programs in expensive urban locations, I’d imagine applications were less this year though. Not as many people willing to roll the dice and take on tuition debt or move and pay rent in NYC or similar cities. 

Good luck to every one out there, and remember to follow your own path and keep making art wherever you end up. There are many roads to success, and no matter what people have you believe, the art market recognizes talent and (surprise) good art!
In the end, if your MFA helps nurture your talent, and guides/informs your art making process then it doesn’t really matter what ‘brand’ your school is. Your work will surface in the art world and you will find success.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:16 AM, Paintyface said:

The director of the program I accepted an offer from said that they had a massive influx in applications this year. It is a state program and I received a full tuition waiver, teaching fellowship and 15k stipend plus health insurance. 
Any time there is an economic downturn, there is an excess of applicants to graduate programs. Unemployment rates skyrocketed this year due to Covid so for many people grad school is a way to make yourself potentially more employable in a future where the job market in this country will be highly competitive due to repercussions from the pandemic.  For programs like mine, that provide a stipend and TA-ship (which is essentially a job), it makes sense that there would be more applicants as it’s a way of furthering your career and being paid to do so, in a time where many (artists in particular) are facing grave financial uncertainty. For fee based programs in expensive urban locations, I’d imagine applications were less this year though. Not as many people willing to roll the dice and take on tuition debt or move and pay rent in NYC or similar cities. 

Good luck to every one out there, and remember to follow your own path and keep making art wherever you end up. There are many roads to success, and no matter what people have you believe, the art market recognizes talent and (surprise) good art!
In the end, if your MFA helps nurture your talent, and guides/informs your art making process then it doesn’t really matter what ‘brand’ your school is. Your work will surface in the art world and you will find success.

yeah! congratulations! Do you mind sharing the school? I'm sure a lot of artists would be interested for next season. Def join the student union to continue the fight for a livable stipend. Livable stipends + tuition remission + healthcare should be the norm in all grad programs. The pandemic is def a great time for personal enrichment and community building since jobs in the arts are a bust. I agree that it's a great opportunity to develop marketable skills like UX design or skills out side of the arts to be more competitive in a difficult market. I'm glad the tide is turning! :) 

Anyone ever hear of or dealt with a school ghosting them after requesting for more financial aid? I'm kind of at a loss for words at the moment. Had a conversation with the dean about it last week, to which they said I would for sure hear back last Friday. I sent them a follow-up message Monday afternoon, they have yet to respond. Haven't heard from the department head in awhile either. Seems pretty strange, right? Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions on what to do if you've been waitlisted at your 1st choice school and accepted into your 2nd choice school with the deadline for decisions being tomorrow?? I was told that school #1 should have updates in early May : / Anyone else going through this?

Just now, 33333333 said:

Any suggestions on what to do if you've been waitlisted at your 1st choice school and accepted into your 2nd choice school with the deadline for decisions being tomorrow?? I was told that school #1 should have updates in early May : / Anyone else going through this?

Pay the deposit for your 2nd choice school. And IF something opens up at your 1st choice school, make a decision then. 

6 hours ago, XSX said:

Anyone ever hear of or dealt with a school ghosting them after requesting for more financial aid? I'm kind of at a loss for words at the moment. Had a conversation with the dean about it last week, to which they said I would for sure hear back last Friday. I sent them a follow-up message Monday afternoon, they have yet to respond. Haven't heard from the department head in awhile either. Seems pretty strange, right? Any thoughts on this?

It seems weird since they gave you a date you'd hear back, but they could still be trying to negotiate for you? I'm not exactly sure what the process looks like behind the scenes, but I was told for my case to ask for an extension on the deadline for acceptance so they could continue to negotiate for more aid after they see if other people who were offered some scholarships accept or not, so they know what kind of money they have left to work with. Are you waiting on them to make your decisions at other schools or just waiting on them alone at this point? I hope they reply to you soon and give you some good news!

34 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

It seems weird since they gave you a date you'd hear back, but they could still be trying to negotiate for you? I'm not exactly sure what the process looks like behind the scenes, but I was told for my case to ask for an extension on the deadline for acceptance so they could continue to negotiate for more aid after they see if other people who were offered some scholarships accept or not, so they know what kind of money they have left to work with. Are you waiting on them to make your decisions at other schools or just waiting on them alone at this point? I hope they reply to you soon and give you some good news!

Thanks for replying! Yeah, I'm about to put my deposit down for another school. I was waiting on them to get back with me before making that decision, but they're not even communicating with me any longer, which makes me think that they moved onto someone else. I've expressed to them already that I had another offer I was considering.

23 minutes ago, XSX said:

Thanks for replying! Yeah, I'm about to put my deposit down for another school. I was waiting on them to get back with me before making that decision, but they're not even communicating with me any longer, which makes me think that they moved onto someone else. I've expressed to them already that I had another offer I was considering.

Np! Ahhh that's really frustrating! I'm sorry the communication hasn't been great. Congrats on all of your offers still though. 

hey guys, trying to say goodbye to this forum here. I didn't really post but I have been peeking this forum since mid February and occasionally received anxiety as well as comforts. Man, it's been a long journey, isn't it?

This is my second time applying and might be my last try. 

My only two goals are Bard and Yale. Last year, I got the interview at Bard and straight rejection at Yale. It was right before the pandemic when you could still meet people in the real world. I made some friends who are still in contact even today. I was very lucky to meet a milestone in my art career in 2020. I had two solo exhibitions in museums I admire. So I applied to MFA again last minute thinking I wouldn't want to "waste" the application materials I submitted. This year, I got interviews both at Bard and Yale, which felt like a huge encouragement to me --- the affirmation of my personal growth in a year. But I didn't ended up going to either of the schools. 

During this whole application process, one question I couldn't quite confidently answer is always: "Why do you need an MFA?" I wanted to do an MFA ten years ago even before I started my BFA. It felt like an important line on my to do list, but that's it. I have to constantly remind myself that MFA is just a path not a destination. I cannot use it as an escape for my career, a push for new projects, a window for a guaranteed "next stage". Of course, I'd love to be around with other talented artists who would inspire me and/or become lifelong friends with me. But even that won't be guaranteed with the price we have to pay for exchange. 

I will be moving to a new city next week starting a new chapter in my life. It is very sad to think that a journey ends here, but I also don't think that the faculties who already knew me will be willing to see my again at the interview lol. I will be somewhere else. The journey we are all taking is not about meeting milestones anyway. 

Just now, salad said:

i assume yes, super weird. I just called but their number just goes to like a non descript voicemail? 804.828.1511

I just accepted a place at a different school though..

Ah, yeah, I emailed two weeks ago and no reply. Congrats on your acceptance! Where to?

Just now, salad said:

Ug yeah. And thanks! I'm headed to Tyler. 

Oh awesome! I'm in Philly now and know some of the faculty there & many alum. I'm waitlisted at DoVA @ UChicago, so this might not be my year and that's okay. If you want any info on the area, art scene, etc I'm happy to share! Feel free to DM :)

On 4/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, yikyin said:

hey guys, trying to say goodbye to this forum here. I didn't really post but I have been peeking this forum since mid February and occasionally received anxiety as well as comforts. Man, it's been a long journey, isn't it?

This is my second time applying and might be my last try. 

My only two goals are Bard and Yale. Last year, I got the interview at Bard and straight rejection at Yale. It was right before the pandemic when you could still meet people in the real world. I made some friends who are still in contact even today. I was very lucky to meet a milestone in my art career in 2020. I had two solo exhibitions in museums I admire. So I applied to MFA again last minute thinking I wouldn't want to "waste" the application materials I submitted. This year, I got interviews both at Bard and Yale, which felt like a huge encouragement to me --- the affirmation of my personal growth in a year. But I didn't ended up going to either of the schools. 

During this whole application process, one question I couldn't quite confidently answer is always: "Why do you need an MFA?" I wanted to do an MFA ten years ago even before I started my BFA. It felt like an important line on my to do list, but that's it. I have to constantly remind myself that MFA is just a path not a destination. I cannot use it as an escape for my career, a push for new projects, a window for a guaranteed "next stage". Of course, I'd love to be around with other talented artists who would inspire me and/or become lifelong friends with me. But even that won't be guaranteed with the price we have to pay for exchange. 

I will be moving to a new city next week starting a new chapter in my life. It is very sad to think that a journey ends here, but I also don't think that the faculties who already knew me will be willing to see my again at the interview lol. I will be somewhere else. The journey we are all taking is not about meeting milestones anyway. 

I really liked what you wrote. That being said, since you're no longer pursuing an MFA, what is the next step in your plan? Where are you moving and more importantly, why? I've always wondered what I'd do at this point in life if not an MFA and I've never been able to answer that question for myself.

Hope everyone on here had a successful application season. I ended up committing to CalArts, and on the day of the deadline I got an email from VCU about a spot on the waitlist opening up. I was very torn, because their program only accepts 3 students and feels maybe more contemporary (but also maybe less stable) than CalArts. I stuck with my decision because I had already put down a deposit but it's given me a lot of stress. Anyone else on here face challenging choices this year?

7 hours ago, cjfa said:

Hope everyone on here had a successful application season. I ended up committing to CalArts, and on the day of the deadline I got an email from VCU about a spot on the waitlist opening up. I was very torn, because their program only accepts 3 students and feels maybe more contemporary (but also maybe less stable) than CalArts. I stuck with my decision because I had already put down a deposit but it's given me a lot of stress. Anyone else on here face challenging choices this year?

What department? I turned down my offer for painting because I too felt that the program seemed unstable compared to what I did end up going with. 

1 hour ago, XSX said:

What department? I turned down my offer for painting because I too felt that the program seemed unstable compared to what I did end up going with. 

Kinetic Imaging. VCU has produced some talented and successful artists but it felt to me like the structure and small cohort had the potential to be either very rewarding or frustrating and unproductive. In the end I wasn't ready to take that risk, and went with a safer program. Still not sure I made the right call, but hearing that you had a similar experience makes me feel better about that decision