Psychology/Neuroscience PhD Universities in Canada and USA?

Jessica2020

Hello! 

My name is Jessica, I earned my Master's degree in Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience from London, UK. I am now in the process of applying to PhD Psychology, or Neuroscience, or Neuropsychology programs. After graduating in January 2020, I have been and still am endlessly searching for potential supervisors across Canada and USA.

My research interest is in the neuropsychology of memory, cognition, and aging. I am particularly interested to examine the impact of healthy and pathological aging brain on memory processes and the strategies to improve brain function in order to reduce the risk of developing amnesic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI) or Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) in older adults. I am very interested in neurological and neuropsychological diseases in older adults and how this impacts their cognitive abilities!

I need help!! Who knows which universities across Canada and USA have supervisors that conduct the above work? 

Any response is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you,

Jessica

On 9/30/2020 at 6:25 AM, Jessica2020 said:

Hello! 

My name is Jessica, I earned my Master's degree in Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience from London, UK. I am now in the process of applying to PhD Psychology, or Neuroscience, or Neuropsychology programs. After graduating in January 2020, I have been and still am endlessly searching for potential supervisors across Canada and USA.

My research interest is in the neuropsychology of memory, cognition, and aging. I am particularly interested to examine the impact of healthy and pathological aging brain on memory processes and the strategies to improve brain function in order to reduce the risk of developing amnesic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI) or Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) in older adults. I am very interested in neurological and neuropsychological diseases in older adults and how this impacts their cognitive abilities!

I need help!! Who knows which universities across Canada and USA have supervisors that conduct the above work? 

Any response is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you,

Jessica

Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, does quite a bit of work on memory and aging, though I'm not sure if it falls under Clinical or a different subfield.  May want to check them out.

Being in Florida, I looked at this programme before deciding on clinical psychology.

Welcome to Integrative Biology and Neuroscience at FAU & MPFI!

Doctoral Degree in Integrative Biology-Neuroscience

Integrative Biology-Neuroscience is a joint FAU-Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience program. The program, which admitted its first students in Fall 2011, is housed within the Department of Biological Sciences. Completion of the neuroscience concentration provides students with both knowledge and practical experience in the neuroscience field at an advanced level. In the evolving and growing field of neuroscience, students who complete the IBNS concentration will have the appropriate training to succeed both within and outside of academia. The neuroscience curriculum focuses strongly on knowledge-based and experimental-based neuroscience courses and includes training in scientific methodologies. IBNS faculty are active experts in their respective neuroscience fields and will support development of the students who can focus on a number of research areas, including neuronal circuitry, learning and memory, neurodegeneration, drug discovery, stress neurobiology, neurogenetics and/or neurodevelopment. The Scripps Research Institute of Florida has partnered with FAU and also contributes expertise to this program.

The neuroscience concentration falls under the umbrella of the Integrative Biology major and students accepted to the concentration are subject to all Integrative Biology policies and regulations as well as additional regulations that are specific to each concentration. 

Participants in the Integrative Biology Ph.D. Program are also eligible to complete an en passant Master's degree (along the way). Additional information about Integrative Biology concentration options and the Master's Along the Way (MALW) option can be found here. 

http://biology.fau.edu/academics/graduate/phd-biology-degree-programs-ibn.php

Comprehending the full function of the brain, in health and disease, requires the understanding of sub-cellular processes in single neurons, signal integration by the brain and cognitive function. Neuroscience faculty members are tackling many of the cutting edge questions in neuroscience through the integration of multiple disciplines, different model systems and a broad spectrum of technologies. The Integrative Biology Ph.D. Program of FAU has teamed up with the Max Planck Florida Institute (MPFI) to create a Program in Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (IBNS). The IBNS program is a Ph.D. in Integrative Biology with an emphasis in Neuroscience offering a broad range of training by faculty members and practical workshops in advanced methods offered by staff of excellent core facilities. The Department also offers Masters degrees. The Department of Biological Sciences, in a joint program with FAU’s Department of Psychology, also offers a B.S. in Neuroscience and Behavior. Research opportunities for both graduate and undergraduate students are offered with select faculty from MPFI, FAU and Scripps Florida

Name Area of Emphasis
Claiborne, Brenda J. Neuronal development in human hippocampal formation and learning in aged individuals
Dawson-Scully, Ken Neurobiology of cellular stress and neuroprotection using live cell imaging, electrophysiology and behavior genetics
Godenschwege, Tanja Molecular and cellular neuroscience, neurodevelopment, cellular basis of neurological disorders and drug discovery
Jia, Kailiang Molecular regulation of aging
Keene, Alex Neurogenetics and the evolution of behavior
Milton, Sarah L. Vertebrate anoxia tolerance, marine turtle physiology
Murphey, Rod Development and degeneration of synapses

http://biology.fau.edu/research/neuroscience.php

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 6:25 AM, Jessica2020 said:

I can drop a few names below and make sure you check out their collaborators! (Note, this is from my personal experience and not broad to cover all the US/Canada)

(USA) University of Notre Dame- Dr. Joshua Koen
(USA) Wayne State University- Dr. Jessica Damoiseaux, Dr. Ana Dougherty
(Canada) University of Toronto- Has a whole memory research group
(Canada) McGill University- Geriatric Medicine group (there's a fellowship as well)
(USA) Washington University in St. Louis- Dr. David Balota, Dr. Denise Head, Dr. Zachariah Reagh, Dr. Mitchell Sommers