Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

Congrats!  You planning on going there or depends on others? 

I’m still waiting on 6 decisions so uh, any day now...  Of course some of them seem to have a habit of waiting until the end of March to send the rejections. 

Depends! I doubt I will make a decision for a while. Good luck and hang in there!

Congrats to whoever got into Eastman musicology off the waitlist!

Meanwhile, I'm anxiously sitting here with zero acceptances and three waitlists (Eastman, Northwestern, and UNC). Crazy to think that at least two of these would have been outright acceptances in any normal cycle, but at least this means I had a strong app (and I'll have a stronger app if I have to reapply next year).

All this to say: if you have an offer that you don't plan on accepting, please notify that program ASAP out of courtesy to those on waitlists!

40 minutes ago, DEFGECD said:

Meanwhile, I'm anxiously sitting here with zero acceptances and three waitlists (Eastman, Northwestern, and UNC). Crazy to think that at least two of these would have been outright acceptances in any normal cycle, but at least this means I had a strong app (and I'll have a stronger app if I have to reapply next year).

All this to say: if you have an offer that you don't plan on accepting, please notify that program ASAP out of courtesy to those on waitlists!

Can guarantee a spot at either Eastman or UNC will be freed up as I'm currently deciding between those two (and one other). Not sure if that helps but I hope it provides a little bit of solace!

15 minutes ago, hellohellohello said:

Can guarantee a spot at either Eastman or UNC will be freed up as I'm currently deciding between those two (and one other). Not sure if that helps but I hope it provides a little bit of solace!

That does help, thanks! Best of luck in making your decision.

1 hour ago, DEFGECD said:

I'm 50/50 between Eastman and another school, and I just removed my name from UNC's waitlist. For my own sanity, I assume I'll be making a decision by the end of the month. Best of luck!!!

1 hour ago, musiclibk said:

I'm 50/50 between Eastman and another school, and I just removed my name from UNC's waitlist. For my own sanity, I assume I'll be making a decision by the end of the month. Best of luck!!!

Thanks! And best of luck in your decision-making.

Perhaps in an alternate, non-pandemic ridden universe, you, me, and @hellohellohello are preparing to attend either UNC or Eastman together...oh well. Surely, we'll bump into one another at an AMS meeting someday.

edit: one piece of recent info that might be useful for you — somebody from your other school (which I believe you mentioned in a previous post) just landed a TT position beginning in Fall '21. The job wiki will probably reflect this soon, but it's extremely impressive considering the circumstances!

Edited by DEFGECD

Hi everyone! Did anyone here apply to the Music Technology masters program at NYU? It was a late deadline (February 2), so I don't expect to hear anything until late March, but I've been checking the portal often anyway.

5 hours ago, purposelessplayer said:

Accepted to McGill Composition DMA! Good luck on the waiting this week, I know February felt about four months long waiting to hear back...waiting on one more and a waitlist...

Congrats!!! I am happy for you:) I saw someone posted on the results page that he applied for a PhD and was admitted to DMA. Was it you? I am asking since I also applied for a PhD but haven't heard from McGill yet...Did you had an interview? And, what is the major difference from PhD and DMA at McGill? Good luck and congrats again....

Just now, cfi1980 said:

Congrats!!! I am happy for you:) I saw someone posted on the results page that he applied for a PhD and was admitted to DMA. Was it you? I am asking since I also applied for a PhD but haven't heard from McGill yet...Did you had an interview? And, what is the major difference from PhD and DMA at McGill? Good luck and congrats again....

Thanks! Yes that was me. It was contact about switching to the DMA and recommendation for acceptance in that degree. They seem to have updated the info on the website about what the difference is and it has to do with the dissertation and if the focus is on composing or kind of research in methods. I'd recommend looking at the website. No interview.

1 minute ago, purposelessplayer said:

Thanks! Yes that was me. It was contact about switching to the DMA and recommendation for acceptance in that degree. They seem to have updated the info on the website about what the difference is and it has to do with the dissertation and if the focus is on composing or kind of research in methods. I'd recommend looking at the website. No interview.

Great. I will check it out...thank you

On 3/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, freshavocado said:

Well, here we are at the beginning of another week, waiting once more...

Has anyone heard from Wesleyan? That's basically the only school I'm still waiting to hear from that's relevant to my decision-making. Last year they let me know of my rejection on 3/11, but just curious if anyone's heard anything as of now. I know there was at least one other person here who applied there.

hey, i haven't heard anything either! i saw the faculty accessed my links on feb 8 though, which is quite some time ago, so i'm not holding out too much hope lol

18 minutes ago, greenmountain said:

hey, i haven't heard anything either! i saw the faculty accessed my links on feb 8 though, which is quite some time ago, so i'm not holding out too much hope lol

Understood, thanks for letting me know! Yeah I'm certainly not counting on it haha. We'll see.

Hi everyone! Music educator here. It is my first time ever applying to several schools. 

I got two offers for graduate assistantships from schools but the coordinators did not mention specific amount for stipend. Is that normal? 

Also, yesterday one of the coordinator email me asking about my decision in order to distribute fundings.

I was waiting to see the full offer to make my final decision for any school.

Edited by ngalvan

Hi Everyone, 

Congrats on all of the acceptances that have gone out. 

I've applied for a DMA in Performance and Literature at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Northwestern. I got acceptances from UI and UW in early February. Expecting *hopefully* some funding offers in the next couple of weeks from both schools. 

I had an interview with the Assistant Dean of Admissions at Northwestern last month and it's been radio silence since then. Was never able to make contact with my POI and they never offered an interview. Does anyone know if we can expect to hear from Northwestern before March 15th? I'm already expecting a rejection, but it'd just be nice to know... the wait is awful.  

Best of luck to you all. 

1 hour ago, corno21 said:

Hi Everyone, 

Congrats on all of the acceptances that have gone out. 

I've applied for a DMA in Performance and Literature at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Northwestern. I got acceptances from UI and UW in early February. Expecting *hopefully* some funding offers in the next couple of weeks from both schools. 

I had an interview with the Assistant Dean of Admissions at Northwestern last month and it's been radio silence since then. Was never able to make contact with my POI and they never offered an interview. Does anyone know if we can expect to hear from Northwestern before March 15th? I'm already expecting a rejection, but it'd just be nice to know... the wait is awful.  

Best of luck to you all. 

I'm waiting to hear from Northwestern for composition and it's my understanding they're taking longer than most years to get results back. My interview was 2 weeks ago tomorrow so I'm expecting any day now...hang in there! The waiting is horrible!

13 hours ago, purposelessplayer said:

I'm waiting to hear from Northwestern for composition and it's my understanding they're taking longer than most years to get results back. My interview was 2 weeks ago tomorrow so I'm expecting any day now...hang in there! The waiting is horrible!

I'm also waiting back for Northwestern composition! I saw on here that someone had logged an acceptance to the program, so I was a bit unsure of the current admissions status; I wonder if they're doing some sort of semi-rolling process, or if that was an erroneous status update (lol).

4 minutes ago, TheWacoKid said:

I'm also waiting back for Northwestern composition! I saw on here that someone had logged an acceptance to the program, so I was a bit unsure of the current admissions status; I wonder if they're doing some sort of semi-rolling process, or if that was an erroneous status update (lol).

I really think that one update is not legit...