Johns Hopkins SAIS 2021

Ravine55

Hi guys. I got accepted to MAIA program. I was told during my interview that both MAIA and MAIR programs are the same (even though the former is a research based degree). Is this true? I would love to study and do something practical first (i.e. work in a private sector after Masters degree) and then after some time go and pursue Ph.D.. I was especially pleased when I saw the possibilites of having an internship in companies such as Lamborghini (my childhood dream car...yes I am a sucker for Italian cars like a lot of men lol). I am also asking this because supposedly MAIA and MAIR students share the same classes at SAIS Bologna center yet I was not able to find courses offered at SAIS Europe that we can pick and choose and customize our studies. P.S. Congrats to everyone that got in

On 3/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, LZRSKRZ said:

Hi guys. I got accepted to MAIA program. I was told during my interview that both MAIA and MAIR programs are the same (even though the former is a research based degree). Is this true? I would love to study and do something practical first (i.e. work in a private sector after Masters degree) and then after some time go and pursue Ph.D.. I was especially pleased when I saw the possibilites of having an internship in companies such as Lamborghini (my childhood dream car...yes I am a sucker for Italian cars like a lot of men lol). I am also asking this because supposedly MAIA and MAIR students share the same classes at SAIS Bologna center yet I was not able to find courses offered at SAIS Europe that we can pick and choose and customize our studies. P.S. Congrats to everyone that got in

Congrats! I was also admitted to the MAIA.  

You can find SAIS Europe's curriculum when you log in to the admitted students portal. Since there are only a few core courses for the MAIA, I was told by the admissions office that we would have to wait until we meet with our academic advisor to build our specific curriculums. They told me that it was best to check out all courses offered at SAIS Europe so we can have a better idea of which ones to choose during our studies when we meet with our advisor. 

Have you decided on accepting your offer yet?  

On 3/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, Kole_Kolt said:

For those who received SAIS scholarships, do we need to accept the aid package before the April 20 decision deadline? I'm still trying to decide between programs. 

I sent an email to the JHU admissions office but haven't heard back yet. 

Yeah, I believe its by April 20. The exact language they have is: 

Response Deadlines:

April 20th - Students who have received SAIS scholarship

May 1st - Final Response deadline

Any student who receives their decision letter after the above dates will have 2 weeks from receipt of their decision letter to submit the candidate reply form

On 3/6/2021 at 4:10 AM, zp27 said:

I got into MAIR in DC with funding covering full tuition for the first year (deans scholarship 55k/year amount) and second yr provided i maintain a 3.4 gpa

That’s fantastic! Congrats! Do you mind sharing some of your stats, like gre, years of work experience, gpa, etc? I’m just curious as to what kinds of people get these insane scholarship packages!

How does everyone feel about SAIS in comparison to similar programs? Esp. with COVID still a part of the picture.

I have been accepted to SAIS Bologna, Fletcher, Georgetown MSFS, NYU Wagner, and LSE thus far (still waiting on HKS and SIPA) and as of now SAIS has given me the most money (about 40% tuition/yr scholarship).

Curious how people feel about the value of a SAIS education vs these others and how people are feeling about Bolgona in the fall given COVID!

Also happy to hear any info anyone has about negotiating for more scholarship funding or about SAIS's requirement of keeping a 3.4 to keep the scholarship.

SIPA is definitely considered more selective than SAIS right? I got accepted at SIPA, for the MPA DP program which is super selective and I got waitlisted at SAIS. I guess schools know that they aren't your top choice maybe?I was rather sureI would get accepted with financial aid because I had lots of work ex lol.

congrats to those who got accepted tho!

34 minutes ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

How does everyone feel about SAIS in comparison to similar programs? Esp. with COVID still a part of the picture.

I have been accepted to SAIS Bologna, Fletcher, Georgetown MSFS, NYU Wagner, and LSE thus far (still waiting on HKS and SIPA) and as of now SAIS has given me the most money (about 40% tuition/yr scholarship).

Curious how people feel about the value of a SAIS education vs these others and how people are feeling about Bolgona in the fall given COVID!

Also happy to hear any info anyone has about negotiating for more scholarship funding or about SAIS's requirement of keeping a 3.4 to keep the scholarship.

Yeah, that 3.4 GPA requirement is a bit intimidating. I received a 50 percent scholarship, which would be the driving factor in me attending SAIS, but if I lost the scholarship because my grades slip, then SAIS would by far be the most expensive program for me. It's hard to gauge the difficulty in maintaining that GPA until classes start...

1 hour ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

I got accepted into the MIEF with some aid. I was under the impression that this was the SAIS program with the best placements but looking at the new list of outcomes they seem kinda lackluster, idk. Maybe I shouldn't judge it too harshly considering the outcomes are for 2020 and everyone probably struggled with getting hired in the middle of a pandemic. 

Just now, InternationalStudent said:

I got accepted into the MIEF with some aid. I was under the impression that this was the SAIS program with the best placements but looking at the new list of outcomes they seem kinda lackluster, idk. Maybe I shouldn't judge it too harshly considering the outcomes are for 2020 and everyone probably struggled with getting hired in the middle of a pandemic. 

Do you mind expanding on where you are looking at the placements are how are you judging them?

1 minute ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

Do you mind expanding on where you are looking at the placements are how are you judging them?

https://sais.jhu.edu/academics/degree-programs/master-degrees/master-international-economics-and-finance-mief/employment

In the private sector there's like 3 or 4 recognizable names and half the companies are Chinese, and in the multilateral sector they only placed into the IMF (and I have no idea how many students placed in there, nor whether it's an internship, a short term consultant gig or an actual staff role) whereas before I remember they used to place into the World Bank and IDB.

Not to mention a 79% employment rate isn't ideal (but, again, these results come during a global pandemic so maybe it's actually really good? idk)

1 hour ago, InternationalStudent said:

https://sais.jhu.edu/academics/degree-programs/master-degrees/master-international-economics-and-finance-mief/employment

In the private sector there's like 3 or 4 recognizable names and half the companies are Chinese, and in the multilateral sector they only placed into the IMF (and I have no idea how many students placed in there, nor whether it's an internship, a short term consultant gig or an actual staff role) whereas before I remember they used to place into the World Bank and IDB.

Not to mention a 79% employment rate isn't ideal (but, again, these results come during a global pandemic so maybe it's actually really good? idk)

To be honest, I'm seeing this across the board for programs. Each school still mints professionals into great careers, but the numbers/chances seem less than impressive. I think there's an over-saturation.

Hi,

I got accepted to SAIS Europe with a bit of funding. It is, however, too little for me to really consider SAIS a viable option. Does anyone know if there will be a possibility to file a reconsideration request concerning financial aid?

Regards

10 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I was offered less than 10k funding a year - is it worth asking for more? 

Always worth a shot IMO. Especially since people will inevitably decline their offers in the coming days. Not sure what happens to the money set aside for their scholarships they no longer need, but if the world was fair, it'd go to other deserving students. 

On 3/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, goodfella said:

Congrats! I was also admitted to the MAIA.  

You can find SAIS Europe's curriculum when you log in to the admitted students portal. Since there are only a few core courses for the MAIA, I was told by the admissions office that we would have to wait until we meet with our academic advisor to build our specific curriculums. They told me that it was best to check out all courses offered at SAIS Europe so we can have a better idea of which ones to choose during our studies when we meet with our advisor. 

Have you decided on accepting your offer yet?  

Can you please give me a direct link to the curriculum at SAIS Europe? I seriously can't find it...I am that blind WITH having glasses lol.

"I was told by the admissions office that we would have to wait until we meet with our academic advisor to build our specific curriculums."

That is honestly dumb. I want to know and plan in advance of what my career will be since SAIS gives so many options. During my undegraduate studies I studied International Relations & Global Affairs but it was all theory for the most part. Now with MAIA (practitioners Master degree as they call it) I want to go into the private sector and learn something practical.

"Have you decided on accepting your offer yet?"

Not yet but most likely will. I sadly didn't receive any funding but I was shocked they accepted me honestly, and don't want to miss an opportunity. I consider SAIS to be the best school for international relations in the world (I can elaborate more on why is that for anyone who is interested).

What about you? Have you accepted the offer? Are you coming from a collaborative program only for 1 year or will you do 2 years at Bologna?

9 hours ago, LZRSKRZ said:

Can you please give me a direct link to the curriculum at SAIS Europe? I seriously can't find it...I am that blind WITH having glasses lol.

"I was told by the admissions office that we would have to wait until we meet with our academic advisor to build our specific curriculums."

That is honestly dumb. I want to know and plan in advance of what my career will be since SAIS gives so many options. During my undegraduate studies I studied International Relations & Global Affairs but it was all theory for the most part. Now with MAIA (practitioners Master degree as they call it) I want to go into the private sector and learn something practical.

"Have you decided on accepting your offer yet?"

Not yet but most likely will. I sadly didn't receive any funding but I was shocked they accepted me honestly, and don't want to miss an opportunity. I consider SAIS to be the best school for international relations in the world (I can elaborate more on why is that for anyone who is interested).

What about you? Have you accepted the offer? Are you coming from a collaborative program only for 1 year or will you do 2 years at Bologna?

Would love to hear your reasons why you think SAIS is the best. 

Have you listened to the webinar on academic affairs?

Could anyone help/advise me on how to renegotiate aid? I got an ok amount to SAIS Bologna but also Got into Georgetown SFS regional study for a fully-funded fellowship. Would you say having this offer from a regional master’s (not msfs or ssp) is convincing enough to renegotiate with SAIS? Just wanna get the amount up a bit