Johns Hopkins SAIS 2021

Ravine55

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any non-native English speakers who attended their undergrad institutions in the U.S.? Just submitted my application today (it's late, I know...). I thought my TOEFL was waived but it's still shown as AWAITING on my portal. Should I contact the AO?

16 hours ago, Claire997 said:

Are there any non-native English speakers who attended their undergrad institutions in the U.S.? Just submitted my application today (it's late, I know...). I thought my TOEFL was waived but it's still shown as AWAITING on my portal. Should I contact the AO?

Hi,

Int student studying in the States here! It usually takes them a couple of weeks to update the portal. I had this happen to me with Columbia but no need to worry. You could reach out to them in a couple of weeks if it still shows as awaiting but for now you're good! Mine also shows as awaiting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, ab1987 said:

A SAIS student with a deferred admit here. Feel free to post your program and application related queries. Will try my best to answer them. 

What was your reason for deferring if you don't mind me asking? Thinking about trying to defer for a year if I get accepted and if I get hired at a job I'm applying to. I know they said they don't offer deferrals often.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, s0mething_awful said:

What was your reason for deferring if you don't mind me asking? Thinking about trying to defer for a year if I get accepted and if I get hired at a job I'm applying to. I know they said they don't offer deferrals often.

I'm not the person you were replying to, but I also am an admitted SAIS student (for the Hopkins-Nanjing Center) who chose to defer for a year. They gave us all the option of deferring for 6 months, with the possibility of extending it another 6 months. A lot of people chose to defer and find work in the meantime. I'm not sure what their deferral policy will be like next year, but I imagine getting a job in a position relevant to your career should be a good enough reason for them to grant your deferral request, especially if covid is still affecting in-person classes in the Fall.

2 hours ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

I am wondering what most people's interviews were like? My interviewer just asked me about why I wanted to pursue sais and then let me ask questions for 25 minutes. I read in blogs that they would ask about international affairs but it seemed like he was just selling me on the program.

Hi! Were you invited for an interview?

I believe they’re referring to the optional student interviews that you could schedule. I did one and had a similar experience, mine felt very informal (though in a good way) sort of like if you ran into a current SAIS student at a coffee shop and started chatting. Just talked about respective research interests, the student’s experience with SAIS Europe. Nothing too substantial on either side. 

22 hours ago, deriders said:

Has anyone else had their application materials cleared out yet? If so, are y'all thinking this means we can expect a result next week or still March 5th? 

Sending good vibes to everyone!

Yup, just realized this happened to me also today. No idea what it means but fingers crossed for everyone! 

2 hours ago, TMRII said:

I still see the checklist and such in mine. Last I heard 12MAR21 is the release date for admissions decisions, hope I am wrong and its earlier!

I went to a virtual lecture on Feb 10th and at the close Dean Jackson made mention of March 5th as a date we'd be hearing from them. At least I think he said March 5th!

On 2/12/2021 at 4:51 AM, ???????? said:

Me!

Sorry for the delayed reply.  I decided not to proceed with the SAIS DIA application.  I wasn't confident that I could find a faculty member willing and able to supervise my thesis topic, which unless you were career FSO up the ranks, you wouldn't give a toss about.

Anyway, I'm hoping to branch out into other non-FSO but related government IR positions that might give me additional topic ideas.  So, I'll take a look at SAIS DIA in another few years if it's still running.