LAKEHEAD HBSW 2021

JMarble

Hi there, 

I am looking for information regarding the one year HBSW at Lakehead. If you are a former student of the program please share your experience regarding the program itself and the admission process. I am curious to know how competitive the program is ? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I applied to the 1 Year HBSW at Lakehead for the Orillia campus as well, currently waiting for the personal statement exam. From what I've heard from others who have taken the program in the past, it's competitive as they only accept 30-40 applicants I believe, but they look at your application holistically. Grades are important but significant volunteer and work experience that are related to sw are very valued and strengthen your application as well, including any trainings or certifications you may have. Glad to meet others who are in the same waiting boat as me, I hope we get in lol ?

@Lovey1115 Hi there, thank you for your post! It's nice to gain some insight as to how competitive the program is, as I have found it hard to find that kind of information. May I ask how long your resume outlining your work and volunteer experience was? Now that I think about, I feel that maybe I should have elaborated more on mine lol. Here's to hoping we all get in as well! ?? 

4 hours ago, HBSW2021 said:

@Lovey1115 Hi there, thank you for your post! It's nice to gain some insight as to how competitive the program is, as I have found it hard to find that kind of information. May I ask how long your resume outlining your work and volunteer experience was? Now that I think about, I feel that maybe I should have elaborated more on mine lol. Here's to hoping we all get in as well! ?? 

Nice to meet you! I don't know if this is weird but I actually reached out to individuals on LinkedIn who had taken the program for more info lol, but otherwise yeah it is hard to find that detailed info. My resume was initially 2 pages long but I edited it and resubmitted it so that I could add more info on my volunteer experience, initially I had only provided a brief description of my work background. I do think though that you are able to speak more to your experience (work and volunteer) when it comes to writing the personal statement exam, at least that is what I have heard from others. Can I ask what your work background is? I have a BA in psych but I'm hoping my work and volunteer experience will strengthen my application as my grades from my undergrad were not that great.

8 hours ago, Lovey1115 said:

Nice to meet you! I don't know if this is weird but I actually reached out to individuals on LinkedIn who had taken the program for more info lol, but otherwise yeah it is hard to find that detailed info. My resume was initially 2 pages long but I edited it and resubmitted it so that I could add more info on my volunteer experience, initially I had only provided a brief description of my work background. I do think though that you are able to speak more to your experience (work and volunteer) when it comes to writing the personal statement exam, at least that is what I have heard from others. Can I ask what your work background is? I have a BA in psych but I'm hoping my work and volunteer experience will strengthen my application as my grades from my undergrad were not that great.

That’s such a smart idea! Good to know that we will have the opportunity to expand more on our work and volunteer experience in the personal statement exam. Were you able to find out more about the exam from previous students you spoke with? 
I have a Bachelor of Public Health degree along with a graduate certificate in Mental Health and Disability Management. In terms of work experience, I worked part-time at a college for the department of Counselling in student engagement related to health promotion, as well as a part-time support worker. I am currently working in a role similar to an intake counsellor for about 9 months now, and also recently started working at a post-secondary institution for the department of Accessible Learning Services. However, I do not have a lot of volunteer experience. May I ask what kind of work experience/background you have?

On 12/31/2020 at 10:58 PM, HBSW2021 said:

That’s such a smart idea! Good to know that we will have the opportunity to expand more on our work and volunteer experience in the personal statement exam. Were you able to find out more about the exam from previous students you spoke with? 
I have a Bachelor of Public Health degree along with a graduate certificate in Mental Health and Disability Management. In terms of work experience, I worked part-time at a college for the department of Counselling in student engagement related to health promotion, as well as a part-time support worker. I am currently working in a role similar to an intake counsellor for about 9 months now, and also recently started working at a post-secondary institution for the department of Accessible Learning Services. However, I do not have a lot of volunteer experience. May I ask what kind of work experience/background you have?

Most previous students I reached out to did not remember the questions from the exam exactly but said they were pretty similar to the example questions on the Lakehead HBSW page: 

1.  Identify and discuss life experiences that have significantly affected your decision to select social work as a profession.
  2.  How would you describe the role of a professional social worker?
  3.  Reflect on the qualities that you possess that might enhance your practice of social work and those qualities that you would like to develop further in your professional social work training.
  4.  Any previous education and experience, why you think you’re an ideal candidate for the program, strengths and weaknesses 

I've also heard that there are a few situational questions that revolve around the SW/SSW Code of Ethics as wellWow that's amazing work experience, I'm sure you'll have a great chance of getting in! I currently work as an Anger Management Counsellor, providing anger management and domestic violence intervention counseling with individuals who are court mandated, as well as providing equine assisted therapy for individuals struggling with their mental health, emotional issues, or seeking personal development (for about a year). I've also been volunteering as a crisis line volunteer for the Canadian Suicide Prevention Services as well as a facility that provides equine assisted therapy for the last two years. I'm hoping it's significant for admission as I don't have a social work background.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, Meg_gray11 said:

Hi everyone! I’m looking for information for how the program was ran this last year with the pandemic. Does anyone know if it was completely online? I’m curious if I were to get in if I would be able to keep my full time job. 

For Orillia, it looks as though everything was and is online: https://www.lakeheadu.ca/timetable/?campus=Orillia+Campus&simple=true&term=2020+Fall%2FWinter&acad_level=Undergraduate&subject[]=Social+Work&sec_name=&semester=&fac_uid=#search-form

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sure everybody is as curious as I am to find out how everybody else found the personal statement exam?

Wowzers!! I thought that was very little time for all those questions.. even having prepared (somewhat prepared) the first two questions in advance, it was still nail biting little time. 

Good luck to everybody!

22 hours ago, CindyB said:

I’m sure everybody is as curious as I am to find out how everybody else found the personal statement exam?

Wowzers!! I thought that was very little time for all those questions.. even having prepared (somewhat prepared) the first two questions in advance, it was still nail biting little time. 

Good luck to everybody!

I agree! I used all but 20 seconds to complete the questions even though I felt prepared and good about all of them (i.e. started typing pretty much immediately after reading and kept up the pace for the full 3.5 hours). I saw someone else from a previous year say that they used the full 3.5 hours as well, so I guess it's typical of the exam to be pretty intensive. Wowzers is right, though, lol!

Good luck!!

18 hours ago, SocialWork123 said:

I agree! I used all but 20 seconds to complete the questions even though I felt prepared and good about all of them (i.e. started typing pretty much immediately after reading and kept up the pace for the full 3.5 hours). I saw someone else from a previous year say that they used the full 3.5 hours as well, so I guess it's typical of the exam to be pretty intensive. Wowzers is right, though, lol!

Good luck!!

I also found that it took me the whole 3.5 hours even having some of the answers prepared. Glad that I was not alone on that, haha.

Good luck everyone!

I was furiously typing up to the last 15 seconds, definitely could have used a bit more time! I wish we could find out our grades on the exam, but Madge said they only provide feedback to those who do not get accepted so they can review their application for future entry. Good luck to everyone!

18 hours ago, Lovey1115 said:

I was furiously typing up to the last 15 seconds, definitely could have used a bit more time! I wish we could find out our grades on the exam, but Madge said they only provide feedback to those who do not get accepted so they can review their application for future entry. Good luck to everyone!

Yes, I used the entire 3.5 hours as well! It's too bad we don't find out our exam grade, I did not know that. I felt even having some questions prepared, the exam was still intense and I personally found it difficult to meet the two page recommendation for a couple of them. I wonder if I'm the only one who felt that way? Good luck to everybody! 

22 minutes ago, HBSW2021 said:

Yes, I used the entire 3.5 hours as well! It's too bad we don't find out our exam grade, I did not know that. I felt even having some questions prepared, the exam was still intense and I personally found it difficult to meet the two page recommendation for a couple of them. I wonder if I'm the only one who felt that way? Good luck to everybody! 

Yes I also felt that way, my answers were more 2 pages double spaced so I am hoping that is okay as I honestly could not have written anymore in the time allotted.

I had about 15 minutes to spare, even having prepared with the prompt questions. I didn't expect there to be so many situational questions but appreciated them. I did not write two pages for all of them either but felt that I answered the questions pretty thoroughly with a good deal of nuance and didn't want to write fluff.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, JMarble said:

Hello BK23, I do not think we hear back until April. 

The waiting game is brutal! I've been checking my application status daily. I believe I read somewhere that the 2018/2019 cohort heard back around March 28th and the 2019/2020 cohort heard around April 4th. 

According to the 'Important Deadline Dates' in the link below the release date of offers is tentatively mid-April, which I feel does not give us much time to make arrangements in the event that we do have to go to campus. I wonder if anyone has heard anything about whether or not the program will be remote? 
https://www.lakeheadu.ca/studentcentral/applying/general-admission-requirements/admission-requirements-for-one-year-social-work#:~:text=General Admission Requirements&text=Academic grades (40%) - minimum,References (20%)

The waiting game is the worst ?

Yeah I find the short notice ridiculous, especially during a pandemic where we rely so much on our community and relocating is more complicated.

I think the summer semester will be online according to the course timetable. 

https://www.lakeheadu.ca/timetable/?campus=Orillia+Campus&simple=true&term=2021+Spring%2FSummer&acad_level=Undergraduate&subject[]=Social+Work&sec_name=&fac_uid=#search-form

https://www.lakeheadu.ca/timetable/?campus=Thunder+Bay+Campus&simple=true&term=2021+Spring%2FSummer&acad_level=Undergraduate&subject[]=Social+Work&sec_name=&fac_uid=#search-form

I doubt it'll change but who can say...

As for fall/winter I have noooo idea. I received the email which stated that the majority of classes in fall would be in person but I really don't know.

14 hours ago, itswingless said:

The waiting game is the worst ?

Yeah I find the short notice ridiculous, especially during a pandemic where we rely so much on our community and relocating is more complicated.

I think the summer semester will be online according to the course timetable. 

https://www.lakeheadu.ca/timetable/?campus=Orillia+Campus&simple=true&term=2021+Spring%2FSummer&acad_level=Undergraduate&subject[]=Social+Work&sec_name=&fac_uid=#search-form

https://www.lakeheadu.ca/timetable/?campus=Thunder+Bay+Campus&simple=true&term=2021+Spring%2FSummer&acad_level=Undergraduate&subject[]=Social+Work&sec_name=&fac_uid=#search-form

I doubt it'll change but who can say...

As for fall/winter I have noooo idea. I received the email which stated that the majority of classes in fall would be in person but I really don't know.

Right?! I couldn't agree more. It does appear the summer semester will be online, which isn't too bad but looks like it's going to be intense lol. Thanks for sharing the link, I almost forgot about that!

Not going to lie, I was slightly disappointed when I got that email about their plan for return to in-person classes. ? I guess we will have to wait and see...