LAKEHEAD HBSW 2021

JMarble

5 hours ago, HBSW2021 said:

Not going to lie, I was slightly disappointed when I got that email about their plan for return to in-person classes. ? I guess we will have to wait and see...

Saaaame. Glad to see that at the very least, I'll get to spend my pandemic summer in my home city.

I think there's a real case to make here that the program should just be online since classes run for less than a year and relocation for the period of time is just destabilizing.

Hey @AlexaS looking at this forum, I've seen a lot of different anecdotal numbers "25/475" (Thunderbay), "70/500" (unspecifed), "20/500" (unspecified campus)... so I honestly have no idea. I think they really do consider the applications holistically; someone posted that they had excellent grades and references but very little experience and got in, but the majority of their cohort had a lot of volunteer/work experience. Lastly, I think a lot of people apply to the HBSW as a backup to the MSW so the waitlist moves quite a bit.

I hope any of this is the slightest bit helpful but I also know there's not enough information in the world out there to soothe the anxiety from waiting. I keep on combing through this forum for some form of reassurance but it's unfortunately out of my hands. I just wish they wouldn't make us wait 2.5 months.

1 hour ago, itswingless said:

Hey @AlexaS looking at this forum, I've seen a lot of different anecdotal numbers "25/475" (Thunderbay), "70/500" (unspecifed), "20/500" (unspecified campus)... so I honestly have no idea. I think they really do consider the applications holistically; someone posted that they had excellent grades and references but very little experience and got in, but the majority of their cohort had a lot of volunteer/work experience. Lastly, I think a lot of people apply to the HBSW as a backup to the MSW so the waitlist moves quite a bit.

I hope any of this is the slightest bit helpful but I also know there's not enough information in the world out there to soothe the anxiety from waiting. I keep on combing through this forum for some form of reassurance but it's unfortunately out of my hands. I just wish they wouldn't make us wait 2.5 months.

Thanks, this information helps! It definitely makes sense that the waitlist would move more in comparison to MSW programs. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll let us know in the beginning of April especially since classes may be in person during the fall now!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else checking their status everyday hoping we’ll hear by the end of March? ? it’s so hard not knowing and not being able to plan living situations/jobs around it! Fingers crossed we hear soon (the website said March is when they start but I’ve seen others post into April in previous years...)

1 hour ago, itswingless said:

Wow! I read it was mid-March that they started rolling out acceptances on another page a couple months back.... dang. Mid-April doesn’t really leave much time to plan for starting in July and tentative living situations in September ? 

When I messaged the department they told me "At this point in time we are aiming for the beginning of April for making decisions.  We probably won't go out any earlier as we are still processing applications."

They are hopefully coming in the next few weeks! I am really putting all my eggs in this basket so I hope the odds are in our favour! 

16 hours ago, lgoose said:

Is anyone else furiously refreshing their inbox & status every day? The suspense is killing me. 

Yup, I'm really hoping they let us know by early April instead of mid April like the website says, to give us more time to prepare. Madge said last year the offers went out early April, but I'm not sure if it'll be the same for this year due to the pandemic.The waiting is driving me crazy!

7 hours ago, HBSW2021 said:

Does anyone think that this week will be the week we finally find out? I feel like I will be checking my status non-stop lol. ?

I have a feeling it'll be next week based on when offers came out last year :( 

Just now, HBSW2021 said:

YAY congratulations!!! No problem at all ? Is the HBSW program your first choice? 

I'm currently waitlisted for a 2 year MSW so yes and no, I'd say! I'd be really happy to pursue either but I'm definitely going to try to hold out to see if my luck carries over to that program as well!! I really hope you got the news you were hoping for (from this program or another one) ☺️

Best of luck to everyone. It's been so nice having a group of likeminded people to go through all of these stages with.

9 minutes ago, Lina.a said:

I checked today. Pending for my first choice (Orillia) but Waitlisted for my 2nd option Thunder Bay...

This is stressful .. fingers crossed!! Anyone else in similar situation?

Congratulations on Thunder Bay and I'm sending good luck for Orillia!!! I think the waitlist moves pretty quickly so that is amazing news!!

24 minutes ago, Lina.a said:

I checked today. Pending for my first choice (Orillia) but Waitlisted for my 2nd option Thunder Bay...

This is stressful .. fingers crossed!! Anyone else in similar situation?

I got waitlisted for Thunder Bay as well today (First choice) and still pending for Orillia. Fingers crossed ??