LAKEHEAD HBSW 2021

JMarble

7 minutes ago, Pickmeplease said:

I have been waitlisted for Orillia. I hope this list moves quickly, I wish we could see what number we are! They didn't email me btw, you have to check Myinfo.

I checked myInfo first but got an email later, it seems delayed. Best of luck though, I'm sure you'll hear good news!! 

Hi everyone! I've been accepted at the Thunder Bay campus but am unfortuntely not going to be able to attend school this year - i'll be declining the offer in a few days so hopefully goes to someone waitlisted - thanks for all the support over here - what a stressful time!

Edited by EMWC

Currently waitlisted for Orillia which was my first choice, still pending for Thunder Bay, I'll be happy to go to either given how competitive the program is but jeez this gives me even more anxiety!!! Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting to hear back, this process is so stressful?

1 hour ago, Lovey1115 said:

Currently waitlisted for Orillia which was my first choice, still pending for Thunder Bay, I'll be happy to go to either given how competitive the program is but jeez this gives me even more anxiety!!! Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting to hear back, this process is so stressful?

Good luck with Thunder Bay! I have also heard that the waitlists for the programs do move!

Side note: Does anyone know if the classes will be online or on campus? Just curious because if you get accepted to Thunder Bay I think you have to do you placement there as well, right? How is it going to work if you can do your classes online?

Does anyone know?

My letter read:

"Social Work courses scheduled for the 2021 summer session of the One Year 
 HBSW program will be delivered in an online format. Students are not 
 required to be on campus during the months of July and August but must be available to attend and fully participate in all virtual classes.

At this time, Fall and Winter courses are scheduled to be delivered on-campus. We will keep you informed of any further developments."

Man oh man, what a journey! I also got waitlisted.. meh.. Just curious if anybody actually received a denied application? Did all of us that didn’t get accepted get waitlisted? Just wondering if the waitlist is anything to be hopeful about or if all applicants that didn’t get accepted the first round are now on the waitlist?

Congrats to all that got in! All the best for your social work journey!

1 hour ago, CindyB said:

Man oh man, what a journey! I also got waitlisted.. meh.. Just curious if anybody actually received a denied application? Did all of us that didn’t get accepted get waitlisted? Just wondering if the waitlist is anything to be hopeful about or if all applicants that didn’t get accepted the first round are now on the waitlist?

Congrats to all that got in! All the best for your social work journey!

Congrats on being accepted onto the waitlist! I know that someone on the MSW forum said that she is currently in the HBSW program and majority of the class came from the waitlist.

17 minutes ago, AlexaS said:

Congrats on being accepted onto the waitlist! I know that someone on the MSW forum said that she is currently in the HBSW program and majority of the class came from the waitlist.

Thank you for your reply! Ok, I will remain hopeful?

Does anyone know if you're waitlisted for one campus, and you've applied to both, is there any chance you'll get accepted to the second campus? I guess they can only accept you at one campus. I wish we knew what position we are in on the waitlist, I'm not sure what the timeline is for those hoping to get into MSW programs but I'm hoping they give us enough notice so that we are not scrambling by the time July rolls around.?

1 hour ago, Lovey1115 said:

Does anyone know if you're waitlisted for one campus, and you've applied to both, is there any chance you'll get accepted to the second campus? I guess they can only accept you at one campus. I wish we knew what position we are in on the waitlist, I'm not sure what the timeline is for those hoping to get into MSW programs but I'm hoping they give us enough notice so that we are not scrambling by the time July rolls around.?

Hey, congrats on the waitlist spot! I certainly don't have definite answers to your questions, but if it's any peace of mind I think people are mainly waiting on UoT and Laurier 2 year MSW decisions at this point, and those *should* be coming out in the next couple of weeks. I'd say most people will have their decisions made by early May, if not sooner.

In terms of the Lakehead waitlist, the deadline I received for accepting was April 30th, with a deposit due by June 1st, so I'd say the biggest influxes of waitlist movement will be start of May and start of June :) Classes in the summer are online this year so that gives a tiny bit of wiggle room in terms of living situations/scrambling.

I do get the sense that Lakehead treats the campuses/programs somewhat separately, so I'm assuming the waitlists are site-dependent. But that's just my guess!! 

Sending you the best of luck with everything! This uncertain time is incredibly stressful and I hope everyone is taking good care of your mental wellbeing. 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, SocialWork123 said:

Hey, congrats on the waitlist spot! I certainly don't have definite answers to your questions, but if it's any peace of mind I think people are mainly waiting on UoT and Laurier 2 year MSW decisions at this point, and those *should* be coming out in the next couple of weeks. I'd say most people will have their decisions made by early May, if not sooner.

In terms of the Lakehead waitlist, the deadline I received for accepting was April 30th, with a deposit due by June 1st, so I'd say the biggest influxes of waitlist movement will be start of May and start of June :) Classes in the summer are online this year so that gives a tiny bit of wiggle room in terms of living situations/scrambling.

I do get the sense that Lakehead treats the campuses/programs somewhat separately, so I'm assuming the waitlists are site-dependent. But that's just my guess!! 

Sending you the best of luck with everything! This uncertain time is incredibly stressful and I hope everyone is taking good care of your mental wellbeing. 

Thank you for the info and for the positivity! It does help ease the worry☺️. I emailed Madge this question and she also said:

'Students have until the end of the month to make their decision.  If we have any positions available we will be looking at the waitlist at the beginning of May.  However, in the past we have had to go to the waitlist multiple times throughout the summer before the start of classes in July due to people changing their minds.

Since you have been waitlisted for Orillia, we will only be considering you for that campus and not for Thunder Bay'

So that answers my questions, it looks like waitlisters can expect to hear back up until the last minute right before classes start! Goodluck to us all in this boat and those still waiting to hear back in general!?

On 4/9/2021 at 11:00 AM, Lovey1115 said:

Thank you for the info and for the positivity! It does help ease the worry☺️. I emailed Madge this question and she also said:

'Students have until the end of the month to make their decision.  If we have any positions available we will be looking at the waitlist at the beginning of May.  However, in the past we have had to go to the waitlist multiple times throughout the summer before the start of classes in July due to people changing their minds.

Since you have been waitlisted for Orillia, we will only be considering you for that campus and not for Thunder Bay'

So that answers my questions, it looks like waitlisters can expect to hear back up until the last minute right before classes start! Goodluck to us all in this boat and those still waiting to hear back in general!?

So is that potentially means that if they "waitlist you" to opne campus but "still reviving you for another" you most likely will not get into the "under review one?"...

I just checked the Orilla campus for me says" assessment pending".... strange. Shouldn't I just have "not accepted" in this case?

Curious... I know it's based on speculations... 

44 minutes ago, Lina.a said:

So is that potentially means that if they "waitlist you" to opne campus but "still reviving you for another" you most likely will not get into the "under review one?"...

I just checked the Orilla campus for me says" assessment pending".... strange. Shouldn't I just have "not accepted" in this case?

Curious... I know it's based on speculations... 

I wonder if it might be worth reaching out to Madge about the status of your Orillia app? I'd assume Orillia had more applicants so it's totally possible they're still working through them, but I think it's worth asking if maybe your MyInfo has simply not been updated yet :) That being said I definitely don't think being waitlisted at one school means it didn't work out for the other one!!!

Good luck! Hold out for May/June and I'm sure you'll get the news you're hoping for!

6 minutes ago, SocialWork123 said:

I wonder if it might be worth reaching out to Madge about the status of your Orillia app? I'd assume Orillia had more applicants so it's totally possible they're still working through them, but I think it's worth asking if maybe your MyInfo has simply not been updated yet :) That being said I definitely don't think being waitlisted at one school means it didn't work out for the other one!!!

Good luck! Hold out for May/June and I'm sure you'll get the news you're hoping for!

Thank you for saying that, Anxiety through the roof lol. I am hoping that just because I got waitlisted perhaps there is still a chance of getting accepted to the 1st choice.. Wish they were more specific in their email/letter to let us know..

Now I am confused.. Anyways fingers crossed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing for me. I’ve been wondering the same thing. Would anybody be willing to share whether they’ll accept or decline and to which campus? 

Also wondering if anybody knows if there were more than usual applications this year? I thought I read somewhere on the MSW forum it was the case with MSW applications?

Good luck!?

2 hours ago, CindyB said:

Nothing for me. I’ve been wondering the same thing. Would anybody be willing to share whether they’ll accept or decline and to which campus? 

Also wondering if anybody knows if there were more than usual applications this year? I thought I read somewhere on the MSW forum it was the case with MSW applications?

Good luck!?

I personally went ahead and formally accepted my offer to Orillia, however I plan to remove myself from the acceptance pool if I hear back good news from the MSW program I applied to before the July start of this HBSW.

I have a funny feeling that most people who were accepted to this program and 2 yr MSW programs probably didn't bother declining this offer and are simply going to let it expire on it's own (April 30th deadline). If anyone in that position is reading this: please go on to OUAC and decline your acceptance if you don't plan to attend the HBSW!! It's stressful being on a waitlist and I think you would make someones day by starting the waitlist movement a week before the acceptance deadline :) 

Good luck you guys. I think there will be lots of movement soon. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, CindyB said:

Good luck!?

I have accepted my offer to the Orillia campus as it was the only program I had applied to. When I asked Madge how many people had applied, she said they received 189 applications to Orillia (she didn't say for Thunder Bay) but I'm not sure if that is more than usual compared to other years. 

I think after the April 30th deadline there will be movement on the waitlist. Good luck to those waiting (for this program or another)! ? 

27 minutes ago, HBSW2021 said:

I have accepted my offer to the Orillia campus as it was the only program I had applied to. When I asked Madge how many people had applied, she said they received 189 applications to Orillia (she didn't say for Thunder Bay) but I'm not sure if that is more than usual compared to other years. 

I think after the April 30th deadline there will be movement on the waitlist. Good luck to those waiting (for this program or another)! ? 

Thank you so much for sharing this information!! Very informative and so good to have a rough idea on the competitiveness and amount of applications. 

Holding thumbs for movement in the week or so..?

On 4/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, CindyB said:

Good luck!?

I have accepted my offer to the Orillia campus. I am on 3 MSW waitlists so if I happen to get accepted prior to july I would withdrawal my acceptance!

Hi everyone - I declined my acceptance last week, so I wonder if no one has moved on the waitlist if they are waiting until after April 30th to contact people. Good luck!