DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

• 1 month later...

On 1/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, polak said:

Hi! I would love to connect with you all / support each other through the DSW application process. I earned my MSW from Penn in 2017 and am currently working on my personal essay for Penn. I don't know many people in / applying to a DSW program so it would be great to connect. 

Hi Polak. It's great to have another person here to talk with. I'll be excited to hear how your UPenn experience goes. I was looking at their program as my second choice if I didn't get into USC. I'm really curious about the clinical lens and the use of research as a big part of a DSW. If you don't mind my asking, are you looking to use the degree for something specific, teaching, clinical practice, etc.? 

On 12/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I'm planning to apply to UPenn and Simmons. I like that both programs focus on clinical social work and education. 

Currently working on my personal statement/essay and writing sample. 

Hoping you are still checking on this thread, and that your application is going well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, susangardner said:

Hi everyone! I'm working on my essay now, and Im really excited about going back to school. I received my MSW in 2015 from NYU.  

Fantastic! where all are you applying? Heading back to NYU?  (Go Violets!)

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

EJM :how is the USC DSW going? 

It's going really well! They tell me some day I will be able to sleep again and have something called a "social life". Have you heard of this? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! I am actually having a blast, it is a lot of work given I still have my job but I'm loving it and learning more then I even expected. 

40 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Hi, so sorry, this fall off my radar. I hope everyone’s application went well!  I have no idea why this is centered, btw. ?

How’s everyone doing? 

LOL, I may start using centered text too! this is great :)

38 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Have you heard anything about the interview process? 

8 minutes ago, susangardner said:

Any ideas what the interview process is like?

I'm feeling really lucky right now, I didn't have to interview for some reason. I'm really curious what it will be like for you to with UPenn and NYU (I'm assuming) as they were the other two schools I looked at. What the heck, and Simmons too!

EJM - that’s great to hear! I can only imagine what the workload is like. When I was done with the essays I was so relieved and then remembered, if I get in, I’ve just committed to a whole lot more writing and work ???

What do you hope to do with your DSW?

16 minutes ago, EJM said:

It's going really well! They tell me some day I will be able to sleep again and have something called a "social life". Have you heard of this? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! I am actually having a blast, it is a lot of work given I still have my job but I'm loving it and learning more then I even expected. 

LOL, I may start using centered text too! this is great :)

Seriously though - Is there an app for grad cafe? I couldn’t find one but maybe I’m missing something. It’s a bit of a pain on safari for iPhone. 

14 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

EJM - that’s great to hear! I can only imagine what the workload is like. When I was done with the essays I was so relieved and then remembered, if I get in, I’ve just committed to a whole lot more writing and work ???

What do you hope to do with your DSW?

I got his with that feeling of oh my, what have I done,  right after I turned in the application too. ENJOY YOUR FREE TIME NOW!! :P lol, I started reading every book on my night stand once I was in, didn't have enough time to get it through them though. I wish I acted like I was going to be in ahead of time. Oh well. 

I'm planning to do a lot of program development for underserved high school students, but the further in I get the more I'm expanding that out more and more. Also I plan to do a little teaching, not that I signed up for a specific track of being a teacher, but it's always there. What I HOPE to do, quietly run the world in the background so it's a better place? too big-headed of me? 

14 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Seriously though - Is there an app for grad cafe? I couldn’t find one but maybe I’m missing something. It’s a bit of a pain on safari for iPhone. 

I wish. Half the time I don't bother responding on my phone because it's not very user friendly. 

On 2/17/2021 at 11:17 AM, EJM said:

I got his with that feeling of oh my, what have I done,  right after I turned in the application too. ENJOY YOUR FREE TIME NOW!! :P lol, I started reading every book on my night stand once I was in, didn't have enough time to get it through them though. I wish I acted like I was going to be in ahead of time. Oh well. 

I'm planning to do a lot of program development for underserved high school students, but the further in I get the more I'm expanding that out more and more. Also I plan to do a little teaching, not that I signed up for a specific track of being a teacher, but it's always there. What I HOPE to do, quietly run the world in the background so it's a better place? too big-headed of me? 

That sounds amazing! I am mostly interested in teaching practice classes but also interested in leadership and clinical work. I love USC, but their program was a little too macro oriented for me. (I lean clinical but prefer integrated micro/macro practice) Although, I have heard amazing things! 
Did you apply anywhere else during your application process? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

On 2/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, EJM said:

I wish. Half the time I don't bother responding on my phone because it's not very user friendly. 

It just seems odd. I feel like everyone has an app these days. I’d be curious what their reasoning is. I guess it’s not cost effective.

Agreed, I don't know what it takes or costs to make an app for smart phones, but I hope someone who does makes it. 

I do also realize that this site can get slow when not in application season and applications tend to require computers, although it is a bit of a classist reality, maybe they just don't see the need to build access for people who do not have computers. 

Anyhow, hopefully some bright fun things, how is everyone??? how are the nerves as you wait for responses? any responses? :D 

20 hours ago, EJM said:

Agreed, I don't know what it takes or costs to make an app for smart phones, but I hope someone who does makes it. 

I do also realize that this site can get slow when not in application season and applications tend to require computers, although it is a bit of a classist reality, maybe they just don't see the need to build access for people who do not have computers. 

Anyhow, hopefully some bright fun things, how is everyone??? how are the nerves as you wait for responses? any responses? :D 

Nothing yet - just confirmation of my submitted application. I've read that a lot of programs have seen an increase in applications this year due to the economy.  It will be interesting to see how the process goes. I'll keep posting updates! 

For SC's DSW: Do you have classes year around?  I wish SC had a clinical DSW option!  

3 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Nothing yet - just confirmation of my submitted application. I've read that a lot of programs have seen an increase in applications this year due to the economy.  It will be interesting to see how the process goes. I'll keep posting updates! 

For SC's DSW: Do you have classes year around?  I wish SC had a clinical DSW option!  

Please keep the updates coming! I have heard the same thing, that there is a big increase, also that a lot of people are applying more heavily to local public universities so maybe that will help you out a bit. I know USC's DSW cohort was the biggest they ever had to start fall 2020.

I do have class year round. I'm missing summer already and there is still snow on the ground. 

I’m bummed there isn’t more chatter related to DSWs. Even on Reddit. Given the growing popularity and number of programs - you think there would be more.  Also, don’t Google DSW interview or you’ll just get information on the shoe store. ?

How’s your cohort EJM?  What has been your favorite class so far? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021