DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

On 6/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Somehow I missed this earlier!

Puppy is a Golden Retriever. She’s a “field” breed, so more red and lean vs. the Goldens that are show dogs. 

Favorite ice cream - butter pecan. 

I was just watching a pair of Goldens at the pride race yesterday, one was red and the other light blond/gold, now I find out the difference, I should have checked this message sooner!

On 6/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Somehow I missed this earlier!

Puppy is a Golden Retriever. She’s a “field” breed, so more red and lean vs. the Goldens that are show dogs. 

Favorite ice cream - butter pecan. 

Also, what sweet dogs!!! 

and another of my enjoyed ice creams, when I have had it at little creameries that do their own, I would probably take it over Mint Chip. 

21 hours ago, SWlove said:

Good thing next summer will be lighter so you can relax a little bit more before you have to focus on defending your project. Yes, progressing forward to finishing the program is exciting!  

Ben and Jerry's and Cold Stone are good options for ice cream with brownie pieces :)

Oh, I have a goldstone maybe a mile away!

2 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

What is this free then you speak of? ?

i was thinking of starting the DSW 2022 thread soon to support folks preparing  for programs that start next year.  
Maybe provide great articles on what the practice doctorate is and what each program is currently specializing in, etc. 

the free thing, I don't know how to explain it. I just know the administrators tell me that I will have some of it and that it is good. I'm trying to trust them. fingers crossed! 

I wish we could just wrap this thread into next year. 

On 6/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I received an acceptance call from Tulane!  (SPRING 2022)

I'm a HUGE fan of their program! It is a great balance of leadership, policy, and practice with an emphasis on applied research. Their school of social work has institutes, and active research, related to trauma and resilience and Tulane is a top 50 nationally ranked Tier 1 University.  I’m beyond excited!

I didn't see the comment you made about starting a new thread, but this seems like a great post to quote (Congrats again!) 

I was thinking that new thread could be well timed so the convo keeps going and has some traction early (probably the same thing you said it the post I didn't find) and now that your in it seems like there is some closure on this thread (too social workie a way of thinking about it? ?)

On 7/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, EJM said:

I didn't see the comment you made about starting a new thread, but this seems like a great post to quote (Congrats again!) 

I was thinking that new thread could be well timed so the convo keeps going and has some traction early (probably the same thing you said it the post I didn't find) and now that your in it seems like there is some closure on this thread (too social workie a way of thinking about it? ?)

It looks like Simmons has a final deadline for JULY 15th for a fall start. So maybe start new thread  8/1?

5 hours ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

It looks like Simmons has a final deadline for JULY 15th for a fall start. So maybe start new thread  8/1?

sounds good to me! 

nice name change btw. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! So super new to this journey and SO excited at the prospect of a USC DSW. I'm very early in the application process (haven't submitted my letters of recs or statement of purpose yet!) and would looooove to hear from anyone at USC. This is such a new field for me, honestly, and finding this discussion thread has been a life saver. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:43 PM, socialworksweetie said:

Hi, everyone! So super new to this journey and SO excited at the prospect of a USC DSW. I'm very early in the application process (haven't submitted my letters of recs or statement of purpose yet!) and would looooove to hear from anyone at USC. This is such a new field for me, honestly, and finding this discussion thread has been a life saver. 

I think I am the people at USC ?

Happy to help, what'cha wanna know about? 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, socialworksweetie said:

Welcome! What’s your background? 
A lot of DSW programs look at:

GPA (Graduate and undergrad, although graduate often has more weight) 

Letters of recommendation - can, and do, they speak to your academic and professional ability? Are they academic and/or a related profession? 

Experience - type and length…

SOP - strength of writing + understanding the program and what you can do with the degree. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:43 AM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Welcome! What’s your background? 
A lot of DSW programs look at:

GPA (Graduate and undergrad, although graduate often has more weight) 

Letters of recommendation - can, and do, they speak to your academic and professional ability? Are they academic and/or a related profession? 

Experience - type and length…

SOP - strength of writing + understanding the program and what you can do with the degree. 

Ah, awesome information. Yeah, I got the general feeling that DSW programs were relatively holistic in their approach. However, I am taking a nontraditional social work route- this could definitely be problematic but I am trying to carefully do my research. I found out about the USC DSW by chance. Their requirements and curriculum aligned with my current MA program absurdly well (I'm currently completing my MA in political science). I've spoken to a recruiter from USC and they did discuss allowing non-MSW students to apply. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:45 AM, EJM said:

I think I am the people at USC ?

Happy to help, what'cha wanna know about? 

Hello hello, Trojan! :D Just absolutely everything you could possible tell me about the program lolol. I mentioned above that I am taking a non-traditional route which could very well be a hinderance. I'm acutely aware of this and I'm just trying to carefully do my research. I think I have a relatively strong application, good undergrad and graduate GPAs, experience etc. but I am not an MSW student. I'd just love to hear about your process in selecting USC, how your general application experience was, whether or not you took the ~traditional~ route, how you're liking the program, and any advice you would give to non-MSW applicants. Basically, the works! 

side note: This forum is a ~~God send~~ I'd scoured everywhere for DSW information and the Internet was not very giving! 

Edited by socialworksweetie

On 6/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

I received an acceptance call from Tulane!  (SPRING 2022)

I'm a HUGE fan of their program! It is a great balance of leadership, policy, and practice with an emphasis on applied research. Their school of social work has institutes, and active research, related to trauma and resilience and Tulane is a top 50 nationally ranked Tier 1 University.  I’m beyond excited!

Congratulations!! Such wonderful news!! ??? 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, socialworksweetie said:

Hello hello, Trojan! :D Just absolutely everything you could possible tell me about the program lolol. I mentioned above that I am taking a non-traditional route which could very well be a hinderance. I'm acutely aware of this and I'm just trying to carefully do my research. I think I have a relatively strong application, good undergrad and graduate GPAs, experience etc. but I am not an MSW student. I'd just love to hear about your process in selecting USC, how your general application experience was, whether or not you took the ~traditional~ route, how you're liking the program, and any advice you would give to non-MSW applicants. Basically, the works! 

side note: This forum is a ~~God send~~ I'd scoured everywhere for DSW information and the Internet was not very giving! 

Everything, okay, I'll give it a shot. I'm on break right now so it's fresh in my mind that you get about 2 weeks between semesters and I'd encourage you to plan a vacation for each of them :). USC is on of the only programs I know of that do not require an MSW for acceptance, but that may be changing to requiring an MSW, so you found the program at the right time. I did take the traditional MSW --> DSW route, I have 13ish years of experience working in some aspect of social services or mental health. I think I had a 3.78 GPA when I got my MSW and was in the Macro Track. I was looking at going back to NYU or UPenn for my DSW but got into the idea of USC due to the macro focus. I'm on the overall younger end of my cohort (I'm around 40) making me think that they prioritize work experience over other aspects of the application. The application has change sense I got in a couple years ago, so I may be outdated a bit but it was a fairly supported process with check-ins and guidance from the school. They took extra references when I couldn't decide on who to go with, and were generally cheerleaders. I got a phone call for my acceptance and help getting set up. I am enjoying the program and despite being tired I'm also looking forward to next semester. There are some glaring short comings when addressing racism on the part of the school, but I have had mostly wonderful professors who help close that gap (If you choose to attend USC and want professor recommendations I can give you thoughts along the way). 

Not being an MSW may prove to give you a few moments of frustration as a few friends I have in the program said they felt like they were playing catch up. I don't think it was anything major and the program does recap a lot of SW concept. If you want to get your SW feet wet, review the SW code of ethics, SW grand challenges, what SW looks at  biopsychosocial/micro-mezzo-macro. I don't know what about it got people, but I heard a number of people not get some concepts... or something. If you're up on it all, great! You're ahead of the game!! 

I'm sure I'm missing something, I'll add too this when I think of more. 

On 8/9/2021 at 11:54 AM, EJM said:

Everything, okay, I'll give it a shot. I'm on break right now so it's fresh in my mind that you get about 2 weeks between semesters and I'd encourage you to plan a vacation for each of them :). USC is on of the only programs I know of that do not require an MSW for acceptance, but that may be changing to requiring an MSW, so you found the program at the right time. I did take the traditional MSW --> DSW route, I have 13ish years of experience working in some aspect of social services or mental health. I think I had a 3.78 GPA when I got my MSW and was in the Macro Track. I was looking at going back to NYU or UPenn for my DSW but got into the idea of USC due to the macro focus. I'm on the overall younger end of my cohort (I'm around 40) making me think that they prioritize work experience over other aspects of the application. The application has change sense I got in a couple years ago, so I may be outdated a bit but it was a fairly supported process with check-ins and guidance from the school. They took extra references when I couldn't decide on who to go with, and were generally cheerleaders. I got a phone call for my acceptance and help getting set up. I am enjoying the program and despite being tired I'm also looking forward to next semester. There are some glaring short comings when addressing racism on the part of the school, but I have had mostly wonderful professors who help close that gap (If you choose to attend USC and want professor recommendations I can give you thoughts along the way). 

Not being an MSW may prove to give you a few moments of frustration as a few friends I have in the program said they felt like they were playing catch up. I don't think it was anything major and the program does recap a lot of SW concept. If you want to get your SW feet wet, review the SW code of ethics, SW grand challenges, what SW looks at  biopsychosocial/micro-mezzo-macro. I don't know what about it got people, but I heard a number of people not get some concepts... or something. If you're up on it all, great! You're ahead of the game!! 

I'm sure I'm missing something, I'll add too this when I think of more. 

I am so glad that you are able to give yourself some time to rest. With the two years we've had, you're a real soldier for powering through a doctoral program on top of it all. Thank you soooooo much for this response. It really puts it all into perspective. As I reviewed my application, I realized how much of a "political science" student I am and how much I need to grapple with the central concepts of social work ~removed~ from that political science lens if I am to be a strong student in this program. 

On 8/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, socialworksweetie said:

I am so glad that you are able to give yourself some time to rest. With the two years we've had, you're a real soldier for powering through a doctoral program on top of it all. Thank you soooooo much for this response. It really puts it all into perspective. As I reviewed my application, I realized how much of a "political science" student I am and how much I need to grapple with the central concepts of social work ~removed~ from that political science lens if I am to be a strong student in this program. 

If you feel aligned with the ideas of social work and the concept of what you would gain from attending the program I wouldn't at all let it stop you! They admit non-social workers, it's part of the program. 

just my 2 cents