DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

1 hour ago, IJustWanttoKnow said:

I wasn't eligible to apply to the other schools until now (most schools required 3+ years of post-grad experience).
Do you happen to know if that's a big factor that weighs in on admissions?

The three year post-grad lines schools up to get accreditation, which is on the horizon for DSW program. If they do not require 3 years post-grad, they cannot get accredited.

7 hours ago, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Nvm, just found out... and I didn't get in ?

Welcome! 

I am so sorry you didn’t get in. ?

I would love to the opportunity to apply to NYU, unfortunately it’s not fully online and I am too far away. 

2 hours ago, SocialWorker123 said:

The three year post-grad lines schools up to get accreditation, which is on the horizon for DSW program. If they do not require 3 years post-grad, they cannot get accredited.

I agree - I think following the pilot, and assuming accreditation goes forward, I see a lot of programs shifting their admissions to 3+, etc. 

Anyone else want to guess who may launch future programs? ?

I was looking at existing programs, rankings, and geography and I could see the following schools rolling out a DSW:

- These are just guesses and wishful thinking, I have no inside knowledge - ?

*The Ohio State - have online MSW, top program, Midwest.

Case Western - have online MSW, top program, Midwest.

University of Denver - have online MSW, top program, West/Mountain 

*Arizona State - have online MSW, top program, West/South West

Boston University- have online MSW, top program, New England/East Coast 

Columbia - have online MSW, top program, East Coast 

* Public 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

17 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Anyone else want to guess who may launch future programs? ?

I was looking at existing programs, rankings, and geography and I could see the following schools rolling out a DSW:

- These are just guesses and wishful thinking, I have no inside knowledge - ?

*The Ohio State - have online MSW, top program, Midwest.

Case Western - have online MSW, top program, Midwest.

University of Denver - have online MSW, top program, West/Mountain 

*Arizona State - have online MSW, top program, West/South West

Boston University- have online MSW, top program, New England/East Coast 

Columbia - have online MSW, top program, East Coast 

* Public 

When I first read the opening line, I thought oh! I've wondered this, I bet Columbia will and given U Michigan's dean was NYU's dean if they haven't already I bet they will add one. 

1 hour ago, EJM said:

When I first read the opening line, I thought oh! I've wondered this, I bet Columbia will and given U Michigan's dean was NYU's dean if they haven't already I bet they will add one. 

I could see Michigan doing a small in-person cohort. They seem to be dabbling in online but not to the extent that their business school - Ross - has. I’ll keep an eye on them.  

10 hours ago, La Nada said:

I planned on applying for Fall 2022, but part of me wants to wait a few years to see what other schools start programs and who gets accredited. I'd like a few more affordable options too. The return on investment just isn't there for me to spend $50000+ on the degree. 

Makes sense! I think that’s why Alabama is such a great find and, sounds like, near impossible to get into.

I go back and forth. Part of me wants to see what options there may be in 2-3 years and part of me wants to get the degree (there are a few options I am genuinely interested in) so that I can apply to teach in one of these future programs. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 hour ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Makes sense! I think that’s why Alabama is such a great find and, sounds like, near impossible to get into.

I go back and forth. Part of me wants to see what options there may be in 2-3 years and part of me wants to get the degree (there are a few options I am genuinely interested in) so that I can apply to teach in one of these future programs. 

I was a bit shocked just how competitive Alabama is, but I guess it makes sense with their low cost. Curious how it'll play out for Kentucky. Not as cheap, but still cheaper than most. I think if I remember correctly they don't require any campus visits either, which i imagine is appealing to some. 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:24 PM, SocialWorker123 said:

There was not an interview. I think I found about 5-6 weeks later.  I think Tulane added another cohort to fall. I will know more soon.

Thinking about another cohort...it  makes me wonder about Penn. Maybe they are considering another cohort, and they are holding back on final decisions until they know. Just a guess though, and it looks like only one person on here does not know. Or maybe they are waiting for everyone to respond?

I’m going PM you a question about Tulane. :) 

8 minutes ago, Goobah said:

Catching up on this thread is such a rollercoaster! I’m so sorry this round was a disappointment for so many.  Ask for feedback and reassess!  It seems like there is a new program every year or so.

I was going to ask for feedback and was told that many programs aren’t able/willing to do that...? Has anyone had success getting constructive feedback? ? 

On 4/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Do we know which programs are piloting CSWE accreditation? 

Off the top of my head, I don’t think CSWE has released this.  I think!!! My brain is kinda fried, it’s last week of class. But my guess is that it’s going to be from the original list of programs (from 2019)  they used to have on their website.  I have the PDF, and if anyone wants to find it, google DSW accredited programs.   I also uploaded it here, let’s see if that actually worked from my phone... My guess that the pilot programs will most likely be from that list and/or the programs that are members of GADE.  GADE has almost always been involved in the discussions regarding DSW program accreditation. 

DSW-Program-list-as-of-November-2019.pdf

24 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I was going to ask for feedback and was told that many programs aren’t able/willing to do that...? Has anyone had success getting constructive feedback? ? 

I know in years past they have? I know several ppl who applied to Penn previously who got feedback, but maybe that was before they started receiving a ton of applications. Greater than 5 years ago, maybe? I thought Alabama  invited individuals to ask if they had questions in the actual rejection letter — along with giving a generic statement about why most individuals were not chosen. I think about the statement of purpose?

however, maybe this year they aren’t due to high number of applications. 

3 hours ago, Goobah said:

Off the top of my head, I don’t think CSWE has released this.  I think!!! My brain is kinda fried, it’s last week of class. But my guess is that it’s going to be from the original list of programs (from 2019)  they used to have on their website.  I have the PDF, and if anyone wants to find it, google DSW accredited programs.   I also uploaded it here, let’s see if that actually worked from my phone... My guess that the pilot programs will most likely be from that list and/or the programs that are members of GADE.  GADE has almost always been involved in the discussions regarding DSW program accreditation. 

DSW-Program-list-as-of-November-2019.pdfUnavailable

Unable to open open the form. 

So one thing I have struggled with.... should I consider an EdD? ?
My area of interest is increasing SUD education among treatment providers.  1) There is a need and 2) research shows that providers’ attitudes toward people with SUDs contribute to barriers in tx b/c of stigma/bias.... One of the core methods to help combat this is through education (implicit and explicit). 
Has anyone else here looked at EdDs? There are a few that seem geared toward this. 

edited for clarity - on my phone 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

47 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

So one thing I have struggled with.... should I consider an EdD? 
My area of interest is increasing SUD education among treatment providers.  1) There is a need and 2) research shows that providers can contribute barriers in tx due to stigma/bias and one of the core methods to help combat this is through education. 
Has anyone else here looked at EdDs? There are a few that seem geared toward this. 

From what context do you see yourself doing this? Through research, agency practice, teaching in a school of social work, etc. 

2 hours ago, La Nada said:

From what context do you see yourself doing this? Through research, agency practice, teaching in a school of social work, etc. 

Primarily teaching in a school of social work with the possibly of training, continuing education, and/or consulting with local agencies. Also, I am interested in applied research - testing anti-stigma interventions, etc. The school* I work at now is part of a multi-disciplinary institute on addiction with opportunities to focus on education and anti-stigma efforts. 

* My program has a DSW but I am not eligible to apply because I am faculty...  I just recently double/triple checked.? It is quite common for faculty go over to the school of education instead. Same university but a different program is allowed. ? I am looking at other universities though because I want a different experience. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 hour ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Primarily teaching in a school of social work with the possibly of training, continuing education, and/or consulting with local agencies. Also, I am interested in applied research - testing anti-stigma interventions, etc. The school* I work at now is part of a multi-disciplinary institute on addiction with opportunities to focus on education and anti-stigma efforts. 

* My program has a DSW but I am not eligible to apply because I am faculty...  I just recently double/triple checked.? It is quite common for faculty go over to the school of education instead. Same university but a different program is allowed. ? I am looking at other universities though because I want a different et experience. 

That is so frustrating! You are so close to a DSW program and can’t even apply ? I think looking for at EdD is a great idea. There are definitely crossover topics and since you work will have an education component, I think it’s worth looking to. Also, I’m STILL waiting to hear Penn. Jeff keeps telling me they are still making decisions. Ugh. 

10 minutes ago, DSW1977 said:

That is so frustrating! You are so close to a DSW program and can’t even apply ? I think looking for at EdD is a great idea. There are definitely crossover topics and since you work will have an education component, I think it’s worth looking to. Also, I’m STILL waiting to hear Penn. Jeff keeps telling me they are still making decisions. Ugh. 

Hopefully that means you’re waitlisted? 

11 minutes ago, DSW1977 said:

It’s frustrating but I understand why it’s in place and how it could create a conflict of interest. What if the only open section is taught by my friend? What if my supervisor winds up as a professor and the class requires you to critique leadership...? ??

5 hours ago, DSW1977 said:

Hopefully you will get into Penn and you will not have to take another path. It is interesting that all the decisions are not made yet, but some know for sure that they are accepted or declined.

Edited by SocialWorker123
Error

Hey Everyone!

I have been silently following this thread for a while and finally decided to join in. I was accepted into NYU's program back in February. Has anyone else been accepted into NYU?

Super excited to start! ?