DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

10 minutes ago, SWlove said:

It seems like there might have been miscommunication.  Last Thursday was the date they were going to meet but notifications would not be made until 3-4 business days later.  But a few hours later acceptance calls went out. I cannot call it!

How many acceptances are reported here? One? Two?  Hard to say how many know.

12 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

How many acceptances are reported here? One? Two?  Hard to say how many know.

I think 2... possibly 3, one was a missed call without VM. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 minute ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I think 3... possibly 4, one was a missed call without VM. 

I did not realize there were that many offers reported here. That makes me think that most who are in now know. Unless there are really struggling to determine who gets the last couple of offers. What does everyone else think?

12 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

I did not realize there were that many offers reported here. That makes me think that most who are in now know. Unless there are really struggling to determine who gets the last couple of offers. What does everyone else think?

Historically - Penn gets together and builds the cohort holistically from qualified candidates - they then make notifications. The past 2 years, it seems like folks were notified of waitlist status or denial within 3 business days of acceptance phone calls. 

This is just based on sleuthing, albeit skilled sleuthing, on gradcafe and college confidential…

I don't think it bodes well and I am fully anticipating a generic rejection letter any time now. Hopefully sooner rather than later so that I can mentally move forward. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 minute ago, SWlove said:

I agree! I would just like to get the formal rejection letter so I can move forward and reevaluate my plan. It’s hard to do being in limbo. 

It’s a teeny tiny - and torturous - crack left in a slowly closing door - and I can’t look away. ?

Got my official rejection - e-mail to check ApplyWeb. 

“Each year we face the daunting task of selecting a new class of students for our Clinical DSW program. This involves a careful review by the DSW Admissions Committee, as well as consideration of program resources for mentoring.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission for Fall 2021. This decision is not a reflection of your achievements, but rather a result of a large number of highly qualified applicants that far exceeds the available spaces for the entering class.
We appreciate your interest in Penn’s Clinical DSW program and wish you every success in your future academic endeavors.“

It’s been a pleasure getting to connect (and wait!) with people. Huge congratulations to those who got accepted! 

I’m sure I’ll be back soon. :)

Onward! 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

DSWs are launching every year! I thought I would share some of my research for next cycle:

*University of Kentucky*

https://socialwork.uky.edu/academics/dsw/about-dsw/

General info:

100% Online 

Deadline: 4/15 (looks like one annual cohort) 

Summer start 

Three concentrations:  Administrative Leadership, Clinical Social Work, or Military Behavioral Health. 

Background:

https://uknow.uky.edu/campus-news/uk-responds-social-worker-shortage-launches-1st-online-doctorate-social-work-program

Pros: 

Tier 1 Research University 

Looks like they offer in-state tuition to all online students (like Bama) - with that, high probability that they prioritize in-state applicants.

Additional Pro: Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball ? ?

No real cons - it’s relatively new and there just isn’t a lot of information out there. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

#s

A little context on those rejected (and accepted!) into two commonly mentioned programs here.... Penn & Bama. 

Penn had an acceptance rate of about 20% this year.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if Alabama’s was even lower, given their program and price point - for reference their first cohort acceptance rate was 14%! 

These rates are *most selective* to *extremely selective.* Added context, Cornell undergrad acceptance rate is 14%.  

So, for those of us who didn’t make the cut this year for Penn or Bama, it really was a tough cycle! And for those who did - extra high five (or virtual elbow bump). ❤️

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, SocialWorker123 said:

I am accepted at Tulane - which is macro with some clinical applications. There is lots of room for Advanced Practice Projects with clinical applications. I looked at several schools (Simmons, Alabama, USC). My situation is unique (as we all are!). I am very clinically focused but I already have a lot of clinical experience and I want to expand my skill set. 

When is your start date for Tulane? During my research I saw deadlines for a Summer start (which I think just passed?) and Spring 2022, but nothing for Fall. 

Hey everyone! I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and it certainly helped feel less alone during this process. I’m still waiting to hear from UPenn and, since it seems like all of you have heard either way, I’m thinking they forgot about me ? Any idea on if they are still making decisions?

On 4/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Got my official rejection - e-mail to check ApplyWeb. 

“Each year we face the daunting task of selecting a new class of students for our Clinical DSW program. This involves a careful review by the DSW Admissions Committee, as well as consideration of program resources for mentoring.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission for Fall 2021. This decision is not a reflection of your achievements, but rather a result of a large number of highly qualified applicants that far exceeds the available spaces for the entering class.
We appreciate your interest in Penn’s Clinical DSW program and wish you every success in your future academic endeavors.“

It’s been a pleasure getting to connect (and wait!) with people. Huge congratulations to those who got accepted! 

I’m sure I’ll be back soon. :)

Onward! 

On 4/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, SWlove said:

I got the same generic email as well. 

Good Luck to everyone who got accepting, is still applying, or waiting for decisions. 

It's been a pleasure connecting with you all ?.

NoOOO!!! I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get in. ?