DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

On 4/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, IJustWanttoKnow said:

I wasn't eligible to apply to the other schools until now (most schools required 3+ years of post-grad experience).
Do you happen to know if that's a big factor that weighs in on admissions?

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into NYU! You should keep pushing and apply again! 

I do think that how long you are out of school plays a role into their decision. I was very anxious about applying to NYU because I am just two years post-grad as well. I felt like that was the weakest aspect of my application.

Here are my stats and reasons I think I was able to still get into the program:

1. I have a BSW and graduated with a 3.68

2. I graduated from NYU's Advanced Standing Program with a 3.91

3. I have a lot of volunteer experience on my resume in conjunction with my field placements 

4. I currently work as a therapist in community mentally health in NYC. And in my application I really highlighted the fact that I work in a fast-paced environment and have clients with an array of presenting problems. I felt like this would help ease some doubt that I didn't have enough experience. 

5. Also, two of my recommenders were my professors from NYU. One of them graduated from NYU with his PHD and is currently teaching in the DSW program. And the other one, was apart of the first graduating class of NYU's DSW program.  To me this was the strongest part of my application!

On 4/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

So one thing I have struggled with.... should I consider an EdD? ?
My area of interest is increasing SUD education among treatment providers.  1) There is a need and 2) research shows that providers’ attitudes toward people with SUDs contribute to barriers in tx b/c of stigma/bias.... One of the core methods to help combat this is through education (implicit and explicit). 
Has anyone else here looked at EdDs? There are a few that seem geared toward this. 

edited for clarity - on my phone 

1) I think EdD’s are an amazing solid degree.  Education has done a good job of making sure to present the EdD as equal to the PhD, just with a different focus. (Just like psychology and the PsyD)   I think all education in general has started to realize that one model (PhD) isn’t going to be enough going forward and practical application, or translational models of education are desperately needed.  
2) I think if your goal going forward is to continue teaching, the EdD is a reasonable choice! I think the biggest consideration would be how your university (if you are planning on staying there?) views the degree. But from what you said it sounds like it’s favorable.  

1 hour ago, Goobah said:

1) I think EdD’s are an amazing solid degree.  Education has done a good job of making sure to present the EdD as equal to the PhD, just with a different focus. (Just like psychology and the PsyD)   I think all education in general has started to realize that one model (PhD) isn’t going to be enough going forward and practical application, or translational models of education are desperately needed.  
2) I think if your goal going forward is to continue teaching, the EdD is a reasonable choice! I think the biggest consideration would be how your university (if you are planning on staying there?) views the degree. But from what you said it sounds like it’s favorable.  

Hi! Thanks so much for the feedback and insight! I think my concern, initially, with an EdD over the DSW was that it’s not social work.....  that being said, I have my LCSW which is the current and foreseeable terminal license.... and I work in education.  My current employer has quite a few EdDs (and even a few psychologists...). I wonder if it’s more common in private universities vs. public. Totally Anecdotal- the public universities I have looked at often require “PhD in social work or closely related field” - but when I look at current faculty, I don’t see EdDs (or even DSWs!) ? 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:03 PM, NYU_2024 said:

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into NYU! You should keep pushing and apply again! 

I do think that how long you are out of school plays a role into their decision. I was very anxious about applying to NYU because I am just two years post-grad as well. I felt like that was the weakest aspect of my application.

Here are my stats and reasons I think I was able to still get into the program:

1. I have a BSW and graduated with a 3.68

2. I graduated from NYU's Advanced Standing Program with a 3.91

3. I have a lot of volunteer experience on my resume in conjunction with my field placements 

4. I currently work as a therapist in community mentally health in NYC. And in my application I really highlighted the fact that I work in a fast-paced environment and have clients with an array of presenting problems. I felt like this would help ease some doubt that I didn't have enough experience. 

5. Also, two of my recommenders were my professors from NYU. One of them graduated from NYU with his PHD and is currently teaching in the DSW program. And the other one, was apart of the first graduating class of NYU's DSW program.  To me this was the strongest part of my application!

Hey congrats!! Sounds like you're a really driven person!! 

So considering your stats, I'm a bit more confused haha. We have pretty similar stats actually! I also graduated with a BSW with a 3.6 from NYU. Went to Columbia for their Advanced Standing Program with a 3.9. A lot of volunteer work and field placement were documented in my resume for the past 8 years. I currently work two jobs: one as a full-time social worker at a hospital and the other at a private practice, working with clients with depression, anxiety, and trauma. My main focus on my essay was to work with children of immigrants, particularly Asian-Americans (especially given all of recent events of AAPI hate in our community...) My experience in clinical work with Asian-Americans have been prevalent over the last 4ish years. 

Where we really differ are our recommendations: I had one professor form Columbia write my rec and he is in a post-grad program. My other two were professional... perhaps had I gotten my recommendation letters from NYU it'd be stronger? 

But anyhoo, it's all moot at this point. I'm glad you got in, gives me hope that I'll find a program suited for me/I'll try again next year! 

Hi everyone, finally found out yesterday I was waitlisted at Penn. They said they are letting people know about any final decisions within the next 2 weeks, but my guess is not too many, if any, would decline their acceptance. Took them long enough to let me know! As much as I would have liked to have been accepted, I’m taking this as a win and hope to reapply next year. It seems like there are some other great schools out there to explore and I hope more and more schools decide to start a DSW program! 

14 hours ago, DSW1977 said:

Hi everyone, finally found out yesterday I was waitlisted at Penn. They said they are letting people know about any final decisions within the next 2 weeks, but my guess is not too many, if any, would decline their acceptance. Took them long enough to let me know! As much as I would have liked to have been accepted, I’m taking this as a win and hope to reapply next year. It seems like there are some other great schools out there to explore and I hope more and more schools decide to start a DSW program! 

The past 2 cycles no one has declined their offer. That being said - very good sign for next cycle. You were on ten bubble of a extraordinary competitive cycle. Are you going to reach out and see what, if anything, you can do to strengthen your application for next year? 

On 5/3/2021 at 2:48 PM, SocialWorker123 said:

Hey all, I am going to Tulane, but I was also accepted to SUNY at Buffalo. I formally declined that offer, so someone on the waitlist will get that spot. The SUNY program looks amazing, but ultimately, I went with Tulane. It was a hard choice and I changed my mind a few times before my final 

I’m applying to Tulane for Spring 2022. I like their applied research focus and the flexibility. My hope is to get that application done and submitted in the next week. 

3 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

The past 2 cycles no one has declined their offer. That being said - very good sign for next cycle. You were on ten bubble of a extraordinary competitive cycle. Are you going to reach out and see what, if anything, you can do to strengthen your application for next year? 

Sorry sent this too soon from my phone and it won't let me edit or add...  

That being said, I will cross my fingers and toes for you @DSW1977 that you're able to get in this year. 

Loma Linda University has this statement on their DSW site. Kind of interesting. 

The Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) is presently drafting accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs. LLU faculty are participating in the development of this criteria, and have designed the DSW program at LLU to meet forthcoming accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, La Nada said:

Loma Linda University has this statement on their DSW site. Kind of interesting. 

The Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) is presently drafting accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs. LLU faculty are participating in the development of this criteria, and have designed the DSW program at LLU to meet forthcoming accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs.

My friend just got into Loma Linda’s DSW program and her employer is providing tuition assistance. I’ve heard good things! I believe it’s hybrid with an in person element though. GRE’s typically required but waived this year. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, La Nada said:

I have a family member who got their MSW at LLU and had a lot of positives to say about it :) 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m applying to Tulane for Spring 2022. I like their applied research focus and the flexibility. My hope is to get that application done and submitted in the next week. 

Hows the application going? Done and submitted? 

1 hour ago, EJM said:

Hows the application going? Done and submitted? 

Yes! Done and submitted. My graduate institution took 3 days to send “auto/instant” official e-transcripts. It’s the worst week to request them! ?

I saw a great quote yesterday - always a good reminder - ❤️??

You weren’t rejected you were redirected.”

?I’ll keep you posted on Tulane ?

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

5 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Yes! Done and submitted. My graduate institution took 3 days to send “auto/instant” official e-transcripts. It’s the worst week to request them! ?

Why doesn't gradcafé let you edit. Gah!  I used my phone to post the quote and didn't realize that it made the font ginormous. 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Yay!!! Well done!

lol, that's a long auto/instant ? Glad it worked!

On 5/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Why doesn't gradcafé let you edit. Gah!  I used my phone to post the quote and didn't realize that it made the font ginormous. 

Right!!!!????

The quote was worth the big letters, I'm going to hold onto it :) 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Looking forward to it!

is there a timeline they work on for acceptances? (I feel like I probably missed this somewhere in a previous post)

49 minutes ago, EJM said:

Looking forward to it!

is there a timeline they work on for acceptances? (I feel like I probably missed this somewhere in a previous post)

I’ve heard a few different things. I’ve heard decisions go out in August. I’ve also heard 3-5 weeks rolling admissions.  I’ve seen 2-3 acceptances for Spring 2022...  I was told today that my application was complete and awaiting a decision?!? ?‍♀️

Edited by DSWHopeful2021
??

6 hours ago, ShrinkLCSW said:

Interesting reading this thread. I was accepted to the University Of Kentucky DSW. It seems over 100 were accepted so I’m not sure how competitive it was. 

Welcome! 
You’ll have to keep us posted on Kentucky!  100 seems like a large cohort but, is it a once a year start? Some programs have 3 start dates and they’re probably closer to 40-80, annually, at the end of the day? 

On 5/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, ShrinkLCSW said:

Interesting reading this thread. I was accepted to the University Of Kentucky DSW. It seems over 100 were accepted so I’m not sure how competitive it was. 

What have you learned about KU’s DSW? It’s such a new program. Curious to learn more!