DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

On 4/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, ninja650r said:

Just recieved my denial as well from Penn. Hopefully I'll see a few of you next year!

I hope to see you here next year too!

On 4/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

When is your start date for Tulane? During my research I saw deadlines for a Summer start (which I think just passed?) and Spring 2022, but nothing for Fall. 

Deadline for summer start but not fall sounds a bit off. 

3 hours ago, DSW1977 said:

Hey everyone! I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and it certainly helped feel less alone during this process. I’m still waiting to hear from UPenn and, since it seems like all of you have heard either way, I’m thinking they forgot about me ? Any idea on if they are still making decisions?

3 hours ago, DSW1977 said:

Hey everyone! I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and it certainly helped feel less alone during this process. I’m still waiting to hear from UPenn and, since it seems like all of you have heard either way, I’m thinking they forgot about me ? Any idea on if they are still making decisions?

Welcome! No updates on the ApplyWeb portal? I would check even if there isn’t an email. If there’s nothing there, you should reach out to Jeff! 

5 minutes ago, SWlove said:

Thank you! I wasn’t expecting to hear good news after others had gotten calls. 

I agree.

Another great thing about grad-cafe is it helps you connect with folks and hear their stats/info. If gives you a decent idea of where you may stand. I had heard of an exceptionally qualified candidate (near perfect GPA, non traditional background) who got waitlisted one year and it helped me adjust my expectations. 

2 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

It’s possible it’s a typo. They have the Spring 2022 deadline. 

I just looked and didn't even see that date! just an email address to inquire about dates through. Maybe I'm just bad at the internet?

8 minutes ago, EJM said:

I just looked and didn't even see that date! just an email address to inquire about dates through. Maybe I'm just bad at the internet?

No - same here.  I emailed Friday and tried to call today. I was told someone will get back to me in a few days.... ?. Working in academia, I realize this is likely the OPM and not the university itself....  I think i’m just going to start my application. I have grading this week and then one week of peace before the summer semester kicks off. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

2 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

No - same here.  I emailed Friday and tried to call today. I was told someone will get back to me in a few days.... ?. Working in academia, I realize this is likely the OPM and not the university itself....  I think i’m just going to start my application. I have grading this week and then one week of peace before the summer semester kicks off. 

?  ?  ? 

If they don't have space for the fall, would you roll it into Spring 2022? (I can't believe I'm talking about 2022 already) 

1 hour ago, EJM said:

?  ?  ? 

If they don't have space for the fall, would you roll it into Spring 2022? (I can't believe I'm talking about 2022 already) 

Looks like it - I started the application because I know my recommenders have more time right now due to their schedules and my only option was to select Spring 22. 

18 hours ago, SocialWorker123 said:

I start in the fall. Maybe the fall cohort is full? 

Looks like it. 

How long did it take to hear back? 

I noticed they added an additional question to the SOP:

Additionally provide a statement describing your learning process. For example, you discover an error in your research or the research of a colleague or encounter an academic experience that challenges your perspective. How would you seek resolution and respond to the situation?  

Did you have this? If so, did you incorporate this into the SOP or do a separate essay/response? 

2 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Welcome! No updates on the ApplyWeb portal? I would check even if there isn’t an email. If there’s nothing there, you should reach out to Jeff! 

I keep checking but no updates. When I look on the ApplyWeb portal, it just states “submitted” on my application page. Should I look somewhere else on the portal? Also, I emailed Jeff ?

2 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Looks like it. 

How long did it take to hear back? 

I noticed they added an additional question to the SOP:

Additionally provide a statement describing your learning process. For example, you discover an error in your research or the research of a colleague or encounter an academic experience that challenges your perspective. How would you seek resolution and respond to the situation?  

Did you have this? If so, did you incorporate this into the SOP or do a separate essay/response? 

Those are different questions. I remember the questions changed not long before I submitted my application. I called and confirmed that I could still submit the old questions, which I had spent a lot of time on. I wrote one essay that addressed all questions asked. 

1 hour ago, SocialWorker123 said:

Those are different questions. I remember the questions changed not long before I submitted my application. I called and confirmed that I could still submit the old questions, which I had spent a lot of time on. I wrote one essay that addressed all questions asked. 

Thanks for the insight! It looks like this is a new question they’ve added. I want to make sure nothing is set to change before I submit, as it looks like I’m applying for the spring start. 

I think they used to have rolling admissions - how quickly did they provide a notification? Do they interview? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 hour ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Thanks for the insight! It looks like this is a new question they’ve added. I want to make sure nothing is set to change before I submit, as it looks like I’m applying for the spring start. 

I think they used to have rolling admissions - how quickly did they provide a notification? Do they interview? 

Mind if I stick around this thread as a cheerleader for the next application??? 

21 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

There was not an interview. I think I found about 5-6 weeks later.  I think Tulane added another cohort to fall. I will know more soon.

Thinking about another cohort...it  makes me wonder about Penn. Maybe they are considering another cohort, and they are holding back on final decisions until they know. Just a guess though, and it looks like only one person on here does not know. Or maybe they are waiting for everyone to respond?

2 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

There was not an interview. I think I found about 5-6 weeks later.  I think Tulane added another cohort to fall. I will know more soon.

Thinking about another cohort...it  makes me wonder about Penn. Maybe they are considering another cohort, and they are holding back on final decisions until they know. Just a guess though, and it looks like only one person on here does not know. Or maybe they are waiting for everyone to respond?

I’ve spoken to someone currently at Penn and it sounds like the program is genuinely stretched thin as far as faculty resources/mentorship for dissertations, which is why they were only able to take 17 this year.  :( 

7 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’ve spoken to someone currently at Penn and it sounds like the program is genuinely stretched thin as far as faculty resources/mentorship for dissertations, which is why they were only able to take 17 this year.  :( 

that's good to know.

3 hours ago, SWlove said:

Sorry to hear that. I know it’s disappointing not being accepted. Do you plan on applying to another program? 

I wasn't eligible to apply to the other schools until now (most schools required 3+ years of post-grad experience).
Do you happen to know if that's a big factor that weighs in on admissions?