DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

Hi everyone,

I’m glad I found this thread. I applied to UPenn’s DSW program. I didn’t hear anything yet, which is not looking good. Admissions told me yesterday that they hope to notify everyone this week of rejections/acceptances. I was waitlisted for Buffalo’s program. Sending good vibes we hear good things. 

48 minutes ago, SW3 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m glad I found this thread. I applied to UPenn’s DSW program. I didn’t hear anything yet, which is not looking good. Admissions told me yesterday that they hope to notify everyone this week of rejections/acceptances. I was waitlisted for Buffalo’s program. Sending good vibes we hear good things. 

Welcome! 
Hopefully, we will get good news soon. Buffalo seems like a good program. Did you apply anywhere else? 

3 minutes ago, SWlove said:

Welcome! 
Hopefully, we will get good news soon. Buffalo seems like a good program. Did you apply anywhere else? 

Thanks :) No, I just applied to Buffalo and Penn. I’ve heard this year is exceptionally competitive, so I’ll try again next year. Where are all the places you applied?

1 hour ago, SW3 said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome! Thank you for the update from admissions! 

I have also heard that this year is especially competitive. (Of course!) 

How big is Buffalo’s cohort? I’ve heard great things and I like their trauma-informed focus. Are you a New York resident? Honestly, some of these public schools wind up as expensive as private if you’re not in-state. E.g. Rutgers would be more expensive than Penn (for me) when you factor in the required travel. ?

I wish NYU’s program was 100% online. ???

18 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Welcome! Thank you for the update from admissions! 

I have also heard that this year is especially competitive. (Of course!) 

How big is Buffalo’s cohort? I’ve heard great things and I like their trauma-informed focus. Are you a New York resident? Honestly, some of these public schools wind up as expensive as private if you’re not in-state. E.g. Rutgers would be more expensive than Penn (for me) when you factor in the required travel. ?

I wish NYU’s program was 100% online. ???

Thanks! I have no idea how big their cohort is this year. I liked their trauma-informed focus, too! I am a NY state resident, which influenced my decision to apply to Buffalo. Tuition is ridiculously expensive, but Bama's tuition is decent! Which state are you in? I wish NYU's program was online, too! I love the curriculum for their program! 

Just now, SW3 said:

Thanks! I have no idea how big their cohort is this year. I liked their trauma-informed focus, too! I am a NY state resident, which influenced my decision to apply to Buffalo. Tuition is ridiculously expensive, but Bama's tuition is decent! Which state are you in? I wish NYU's program was online, too! I love the curriculum for their program! 

I live in California and we don’t really have a lot of DSW options outside of USC. I know Cal Baptist has a new program as well. 

Just now, SWlove said:

I didn’t get into Alabama. I am waiting on Simmons. 

Was there an interview for Buffalo?

Sending you good vibes! No, I didn’t have an interview with Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, SW3 said:

Wisconsin - nothing around here that’s in-state unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, SWlove said:

I live in California and we don’t really have a lot of DSW options outside of USC. I know Cal Baptist has a new program as well. 

The wish SC had a clinical option or integrated practice.  I like macro too. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

7 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Wisconsin - nothing around here that’s in-state unfortunately. 

I think more programs will be established to meet the demand. Especially, with since they are looking at possible accreditation for DSW programs in the future. 

13 minutes ago, SWlove said:

I think more programs will be established to meet the demand. Especially, with since they are looking at possible accreditation for DSW programs in the future. 

Definitely!  Very curious if they’ll ever try to add a SW license at a doctoral level. It’s such a delicate balance between “professionalizing” a field and the possibility of inadvertently creating more barriers to the field. A lot of professions are adding doctoral level accreditation and advanced licensure. 

14 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Definitely!  Very curious if they’ll ever try to add a SW license at a doctoral level. It’s such a delicate balance between “professionalizing” a field and the possibility of inadvertently creating more barriers to the field. A lot of professions are adding doctoral level accreditation and advanced licensure. 

That would be interesting if they do decide to add a SW license at a doctoral level. It would make social work more competitive with other fields but could create barriers in the field too.

I am accepted at Tulane - which is macro with some clinical applications. There is lots of room for Advanced Practice Projects with clinical applications. I looked at several schools (Simmons, Alabama, USC). My situation is unique (as we all are!). I am very clinically focused but I already have a lot of clinical experience and I want to expand my skill set. 

7 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

I am accepted at Tulane - which is macro with some clinical applications. There is lots of room for Advanced Practice Projects with clinical applications. I looked at several schools (Simmons, Alabama, USC). My situation is unique (as we all are!). I am very clinically focused but I already have a lot of clinical experience and I want to expand my skill set. 

Congratulations!! 
Tulane seems like a good program. Did you have to interview? 

1 hour ago, SocialWorker123 said:

Congrats on Tulane! I like their applied research focus. 

32 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

I am very clinically focused but I already have a lot of clinical experience and I want to expand my skill set. 

I'm in a kinda weird boat myself, caught bouncing between clinical practice and big macro goals. I am always wanting to learn more clinical but felt that I would expand myself further if my doc work was macro based. Thankfully I'm glad I made the choice to macro focus 

3 hours ago, SocialWorker123 said:

oh, and congratulations! 

9 hours ago, SW3 said:

Hi everyone,

I got a response back from admissions today and they said they are hoping to have decisions released in the next two weeks. Maybe they are still deciding on the cohort ?.