DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

I have a friend who also applied to Bama who didn't get in either.   Apparently, like many of the programs they got a ton of applicants.  I think I heard our admin say we got over double the number of applicants for the 20 slots.   Last year we got 90 applications for the 20 slots.     

My friend got accepted to University of Kentucky, and they have an 80 person cohort! I haven't heard much about their program from anyone other than their online presence.  they seem to be a 100% asynch program.  I think if I remember correctly Alabama was asynch as well.  For some reason, I thought Alabama was accepting less than 20, thought it was only 9? But that could have been for first year vs. later years.

I thought I saw some in-state vs. out of state tuition cost discussion.  For UTK their out of state tuition cost is 37K for all 3 years, the whole program.  The in-state cost is $34k, so there isn't much difference.   Like the poster said, I think Bama is the only one who offers the same price for both in state and out of state program.  

On 3/24/2021 at 5:49 PM, EJM said:

Of all the programs you all have applied too, do they give you time off? Summer? spring break? more than 3 weeks in winter? whatever other time people often or normally get... I'm so tired and I'm not sure if I have more than 2 weeks between the end of Spring and the start of Summer.

Well I'm not exactly sure what the schedule looks like without COVID19.   So we didn't have a spring break, but we had nearly two months off for Winter break.  We're going to have about 2 weeks off before summer.  But our summer semester is only 6-8 weeks?  so we will have 6 weeks off before fall semester starts.   It's not like having the whole summer break (which I desperately need) but better than nothing.   We're in the last 3 weeks of this semester, can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.  This summer we start CBT I and Interpersonal clinical classes -- ending with our intensive week that was supposed to be in person.  However, again thanks COVID19, they will be on zoom this year.   I just hate this idea haha.   I have very serious zoom/telehealth fatigue.  

However, they have started announcing via email (to all 3 cohorts and faculty of the DSW program) when someone successfully defends their capstone project and it's just so lovely.   It's been great to see what other cohorts are working on, and seeing what timeline other students are completing projects in. 

On 4/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, Goobah said:

I have a friend who also applied to Bama who didn't get in either.   Apparently, like many of the programs they got a ton of applicants.  I think I heard our admin say we got over double the number of applicants for the 20 slots.   Last year we got 90 applications for the 20 slots.     

My friend got accepted to University of Kentucky, and they have an 80 person cohort! I haven't heard much about their program from anyone other than their online presence.  they seem to be a 100% asynch program.  I think if I remember correctly Alabama was asynch as well.  For some reason, I thought Alabama was accepting less than 20, thought it was only 9? But that could have been for first year vs. later years.

I thought I saw some in-state vs. out of state tuition cost discussion.  For UTK their out of state tuition cost is 37K for all 3 years, the whole program.  The in-state cost is $34k, so there isn't much difference.   Like the poster said, I think Bama is the only one who offers the same price for both in state and out of state program.  

37K is not bad! I wish UTK would drop the GRE within 5 years requirement ?

I thought they did this year due to COVID19.  If if makes you feel any better, it's not heavily weighted in the application.   

*Double checked, it was waived for Fall 2021.  They may also waive it for next year if there is any hint that people might have difficulty getting a seat for the test.   Just FYI for those who might apply next year.   

Hopefully you don't have to re-apply to anything though!!!  It sounds like your interview went okay? 

11 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

37K is not bad! I wish UTK would drop the GRE within 5 years requirement ?

On 4/11/2021 at 10:05 PM, Goobah said:

I thought they did this year due to COVID19.  If if makes you feel any better, it's not heavily weighted in the application.   

*Double checked, it was waived for Fall 2021.  They may also waive it for next year if there is any hint that people might have difficulty getting a seat for the test.   Just FYI for those who might apply next year.   

Hopefully you don't have to re-apply to anything though!!!  It sounds like your interview went okay? 

I think my interview could have gone better. ? I’m a little rusty, last time I had to interview for something I really wanted was 2015. You can practice and research but it’s not the same. I feel like I rambled and afterward I thought, oof - this would have been a better answer, etc. 

34 minutes ago, LaurelCove said:
34 minutes ago, LaurelCove said:

Hi all---new to this thread. Has anyone heard from Penn yet? Am anxiously awaiting for fall 2021/DSW program. 

Welcome! 
i haven’t heard anything yet but last year notifications went out around this week. 

On 4/10/2021 at 7:00 PM, Goobah said:

Well I'm not exactly sure what the schedule looks like without COVID19.   So we didn't have a spring break, but we had nearly two months off for Winter break.  We're going to have about 2 weeks off before summer.  But our summer semester is only 6-8 weeks?  so we will have 6 weeks off before fall semester starts.   It's not like having the whole summer break (which I desperately need) but better than nothing.   We're in the last 3 weeks of this semester, can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.  This summer we start CBT I and Interpersonal clinical classes -- ending with our intensive week that was supposed to be in person.  However, again thanks COVID19, they will be on zoom this year.   I just hate this idea haha.   I have very serious zoom/telehealth fatigue.  

However, they have started announcing via email (to all 3 cohorts and faculty of the DSW program) when someone successfully defends their capstone project and it's just so lovely.   It's been great to see what other cohorts are working on, and seeing what timeline other students are completing projects in. 

Oh COVID19, how I hate you. We lost all of our in person sections and need them. I think a bunch of us will try and gather when we feel safe so we can have the time together even if they don't reinstate the official meetings we still have coming. 

I wish I had a 6 week summer session. our summer is 12 or 13 weeks so we don't get the 6 weeks off, and I too need it. on the positive side, I only have until next Wednesday left for the semester!!! I can't believe it! (it's going by SOOOOO FAST!!) 

I don't know if they announce completions! that would be fantastic. I still keep myself pumped up looking at what I will be doing for graduation. I want a velvet paneled robe and funny hat!!!! 

6 minutes ago, LaurelCove said:

I'm hoping by the 15th. I have applied to a few other programs but am waiting to hear from Penn before making a decision. 

You got into the other programs??? care to share where you applied? - sorry if I missed it previously 

8 minutes ago, EJM said:

Oh COVID19, how I hate you. We lost all of our in person sections and need them. I think a bunch of us will try and gather when we feel safe so we can have the time together even if they don't reinstate the official meetings we still have coming. 

I wish I had a 6 week summer session. our summer is 12 or 13 weeks so we don't get the 6 weeks off, and I too need it. on the positive 

I don't know if they announce completions! that would be fantastic. I still keep myself pumped up looking at what I will be doing for graduation. I want a velvet paneled robe and funny hat!!!! 

USC has great graduation robes! Very pretty! 

1 minute ago, LaurelCove said:

Hi---Well, I got into Southern Connecticut State DSW early this year (they had an early deadline), and I'm originally from CT. I also got into Simmons program--starts in mid-May (gulp). Happy to have found this forum. There is no info out there.

Thats fantastic you have options!

Just now, LaurelCove said:

I looked at USC--- but I was wanting more clinical, teach, leadership mix. Do like the program?

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the program. I have loved the education but am frustrated with some other aspects of the program. I don't think it is the kind of thing that is specific or unique to USC though so I would probably go with it's quite enjoyable. Before I gave a strong recommendation I would have to think and have a conversation though. 

I have worked a number of jobs in the clinical world, I still have my practice, and don't feel like it is the final chalegen for me. The leadership part is a big draw I had to USC, it's been a huge focus of the program. I also want to get to teach down the road but don't feel that it needs to be in a major tier 1 university for me so hopefully USC not being focused on academia dose not hurt me, and maybe the name even helps.  

2 minutes ago, EJM said:

LOL! Why else do you think I applied in the first place!! I needed a carrot at the end of the road, looking good is it!

It is odd that some schools require you to buy robes if you want the official colors. I think Penn gives you black robes if you rent? I haven’t don’t that much research because I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. ?

Just now, DSWHopeful2021 said:

It is odd that some schools require you to buy robes if you want the official colors. I think Penn gives you black robes if you rent? I haven’t don’t that much research because I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. ?

I need to look up the Penn robes. I didn't look it up beforehand but now my horse is seemingly in the cart. We will see where it goes. ?

2 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

USC does let you rent the colored robes but requires you to buy the tam if you want it, otherwise you get the mortarboard with the rental. 

2 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m so happy we have all been able to connect! It’s definitely nice to have some company. 

Me too! I searched on here for DSW friends back in 2019 and the few who I saw posted anything never comeback and replied again. 

This thread has been fantastic to have during the process. I hope we all stay connected