DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

17 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m bummed there isn’t more chatter related to DSWs. Even on Reddit. Given the growing popularity and number of programs - you think there would be more.  Also, don’t Google DSW interview or you’ll just get information on the shoe store. ?

I'll bet the chatter starts just after we are all done with our programs and as we log on to celebrate our graduations the first wave of big DSW threads will be springing up! We will be the old sage's of the DSWGradCafe world and will think back to when we were young and excited to start into the final educational chapters of our lives (unless anyone wants even more education), smile at them and be bitter that we didn't have all the community they will have when we started! :D :D 

17 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

How’s your cohort EJM?  What has been your favorite class so far? 

It's good. I don't know my favorite really, I have liked Leading Public Discourse a lot. I've been doing and trying to avoid my homework and all the papers for my Data class. Although it is a really good class, it's just not my thing. 

On 2/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, susangardner said:

Hi everyone! I'm working on my essay now, and Im really excited about going back to school. I received my MSW in 2015 from NYU.  

If you see this or not, I hope you are still at it and have good news coming to you soon!

EJM - did you apply to penn last cycle or were you going to apply if you didn’t get into SC? I’m trying to get an idea of Penny’s timeline. 

Applicators 2/15

Interviews in March?

Notifications in April? 

Curious when you get contacted for an interview. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

It’s nice that USC had rolling admissions for their DSW. Gives some flexibility on applications. Simmons has rolling admissions - they just launched their DSW program - it is clinical and, like Penn, has components dedicated to teaching and leadership. The fall deadline for Simmons isn’t until after I would hear back from Penn. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

15 hours ago, susangardner said:

Hi Guys! I was contacted today for my interview and it is schedule for Thursday at 2pm!  Any ideas what the interview will consist of ? length of time?

Congratulations! That is fantastic to hear. I unfortunately do not have any info to share on the interview process as I somehow didn't have one. I'm sure you will do well though! And what a fantastic school! Keep us posted!!!

22 hours ago, susangardner said:

Yes! I'll be interviewing with Dr. Jacqueline Corcoran in 2 days - any idea what to expect?

How you can prepare for the interview
Although there is not a lot of preparation needed for the interview, I suggest you consider the following:
  • Review your essay and be prepared to discuss what you wrote;
  • Prepare questions to ask the interviewer;
  • Be on time (arrive at the School or sign into Skype a few minutes early);
  • Dress professionally (wear what you feel is appropriate for a job interview);
  • What you feel you bring to the program;
  • Relax and be yourself …..really!

Source: http://sp2admissionsblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/admission-interview-what-applicants.html?m=1

I have also this found this helpful since Penn’s DSW has the research and dissertation aspect: 

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/02/ace-your-phd-program-interviews-prepare-answer-and-ask-these-key-questions

8 hours ago, EJM said:

Congratulations! That is fantastic to hear. I unfortunately do not have any info to share on the interview process as I somehow didn't have one. I'm sure you will do well though! And what a fantastic school! Keep us posted!!!

Not sure if I mentioned this? I went to SC for my Masters (a long time ago...) and i think they used to only interview people on the bubble of getting in? So no interview in your case probably meant you were a strong candidate! 

15 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Not sure if I mentioned this? I went to SC for my Masters (a long time ago...) and i think they used to only interview people on the bubble of getting in? So no interview in your case probably meant you were a strong candidate! 

oh! how cool, if you did I missed it. do we do the whole fight on ✌️ thing here? How did you like it?

I appreciate the strong candidate concept! I'm guessing the very small cohort UPenn's DSW has makes it something that they interview everyone so you two strong candidates here are rocking it!

7 hours ago, EJM said:

oh! how cool, if you did I missed it. do we do the whole fight on ✌️ thing here? How did you like it?

I appreciate the strong candidate concept! I'm guessing the very small cohort UPenn's DSW has makes it something that they interview everyone so you two strong candidates here are rocking it!

?

2 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

How did it go?! 

Hey! Thanks for checking on me! I think it went really well. We discussed why I want a DSW program as opposed to a PHD,  what I'm interested in studying for the dissertation  and then she provided a lot of time for me to ask questions. She did tell me they have decided to only admit 20 people.

29 minutes ago, susangardner said:

Hey! Thanks for checking on me! I think it went really well. We discussed why I want a DSW program as opposed to a PHD,  what I'm interested in studying for the dissertation  and then she provided a lot of time for me to ask questions. She did tell me they have decided to only admit 20 people.

Sounds very promising!
What are your research interests?
Did she mention anything on notification timelines or if they have received an uptick in applications? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

Just now, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Sounds very promising!
What are your research interests?
Did she mentioned anything on notification timelines? 

I'm interested in studying natural psychological process that have been less studied than attachment.  She just said it was "a process" and that the interview was just one part - that it would take some time to review all the pieces of the application.  What about you? What are you interested in studying?

7 minutes ago, susangardner said:

I'm interested in studying natural psychological process that have been less studied than attachment.  She just said it was "a process" and that the interview was just one part - that it would take some time to review all the pieces of the application.  What about you? What are you interested in studying?

I’m interested in reducing stigma associated with SUDs.  Specifically, reducing stigma among treatment providers, including social workers.

BTW: my interview is going to be with the associate director of the DSW program. She hosted the info session I attended. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

55 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m interested in reducing stigma associated with SUDs.  Specifically, reducing stigma among treatment providers, including social workers.

BTW: my interview is going to be with the associate director of the DSW program. She hosted the info session I attended. 

Awesome! I work with some SUD currently and I am so shocked how much stigma still exists, and I feel a lot of compassion for workers who want help but fear the impact on their license or perception within their community.... 

29 minutes ago, susangardner said:

Awesome! I work with some SUD currently and I am so shocked how much stigma still exists, and I feel a lot of compassion for workers who want help but fear the impact on their license or perception within their community.... 

it’s all absurd. Did you know medical doctors who struggle with SUDs are typically barred from getting medication assisted treatment if they want to keep their license? ?

I could talk about this topic for hours...

Did you apply anywhere else? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021