DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

Hi! I have been a total creeper stalking this thread for a while and decided to finally interact! I applied to UTK for Fall 2021. I am super anxious about hearing back as well. I emailed them last week about timelines for admission decisions and they shared that they have had a record number of applications (and my application was at the tail end so I will likely hear back after April 15th, sad), which makes me nervous.  But, how exciting that there are so many social workers able and wanting to pursue a clinical doctorate within the field! I love it.  

9 minutes ago, BMadron01 said:

Hi! I have been a total creeper stalking this thread for a while and decided to finally interact! I applied to UTK for Fall 2021. I am super anxious about hearing back as well. I emailed them last week about timelines for admission decisions and they shared that they have had a record number of applications (and my application was at the tail end so I will likely hear back after April 15th, sad), which makes me nervous.  But, how exciting that there are so many social workers able and wanting to pursue a clinical doctorate within the field! I love it.  

Welcome! 

1 hour ago, BMadron01 said:

Glad you joined the thread! I hope not too far after the 15th (TOMORROW!) for you. 

4 hours ago, BMadron01 said:

My friend applied SUPER EARLY and she heard back today! She’s in! Here’s hoping you get news soon!

On 4/13/2021 at 7:27 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

It is odd that some schools require you to buy robes if you want the official colors. I think Penn gives you black robes if you rent? I haven’t don’t that much research because I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. ?

Ngl, when I get to feeling exhausted or “why the heck am I doing this?!” sometimes I go look at the different robe packages.  The tams are so fancy :)

9 hours ago, Goobah said:

Ngl, when I get to feeling exhausted or “why the heck am I doing this?!” sometimes I go look at the different robe packages.  The tams are so fancy :)

Absolutely! If/when I get into a program I’ll probably pin a picture of the respective regalia at my desk as motivation! ?

14 hours ago, Goobah said:

My friend applied SUPER EARLY and she heard back today! She’s in! Here’s hoping you get news soon!

How exciting! Congrats to her! I hope I hear back soon. They said I was towards the end of the cycle- so I am counting on next week. How do you like the program? 

14 hours ago, Goobah said:

ME TOO!!!!! I have them saved in a motivation folder I seem to open once or twice a semester along with a few odds and ends I re-read

Just now, LaurelCove said:

I emailed Penn to ask when they would let us know. Got back to me to say they were meeting today to put together cohort and we should hear in 2-3 days---but not today.

?

I so wanted it to be today! 

17 minutes ago, LaurelCove said:

I emailed Penn to ask when they would let us know. Got back to me to say they were meeting today to put together cohort and we should hear in 2-3 days---but not today.

Thank you! I’m so curious did they so their method of communication? I wasn’t sure if it would be phone email etc.

4 hours ago, BMadron01 said:

How exciting! Congrats to her! I hope I hear back soon. They said I was towards the end of the cycle- so I am counting on next week. How do you like the program? 

I love the program. I chose it for its EBP focus and it hasn’t disappointed. Going in, I was worried that it wouldn’t be rigorous because of the online format, but the synchronous classes provide a great experience .  We have really rich classroom discussions, breakout groups, group projects, etc.  I feel like I earn every grade.  It’s hard and amazing.  

I was also nervous because I work with a bunch of PhDs and MDs and I was worried that others might think that my program was “lesser.”  Even if they thought so, they’d be too nice to tell me ha! But I’ll discuss cases and/or class topics with them and ask them questions about their PhD experience etc. In these conversations they always seem impressed with discussions, topics, and assignments.  I get the sense that they probably did, at one point, also worry about the rigor of an online program. However, like me, ended up being  impressed by the quality of the program.