DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, SocialWorker123 said:

I am accepted at Tulane - which is macro with some clinical applications. There is lots of room for Advanced Practice Projects with clinical applications. I looked at several schools (Simmons, Alabama, USC). My situation is unique (as we all are!). I am very clinically focused but I already have a lot of clinical experience and I want to expand my skill set. 

Tulane looks really interesting.  I think my main fear is that they have live session once a month? I would procrastinate if there wasn't weekly accountability. It does seem like a balanced program with the opportunity to do a macro or micro-related final project. Do you know what their cohort size is? 

11 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Tulane looks really interesting.  I think my main fear is that they have live session once a month? I would procrastinate if there wasn't weekly accountability. It does seem like a balanced program with the opportunity to do a macro or micro-related final project. Do you know what their cohort size is? 

Wow, I would too! I have live sessions twice a week and still find ways to get distracted. 

On 4/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, SWlove said:

I know Simmons is still accepting applications for the September start date. My friend goes there and really likes the program.

Is Simmons an online program? I looked into it- it seemed in person only?

Noted! I unfortunately was not accepted into UTK... so bummed. But I feel like I put all my eggs in one basket and didn't explore other programs. 

I work in the prison in California and a ton of social workers are going for their PsyD because there really are not a lot of advancement tracks for social workers. But I cannot bring myself to leave the field for advancement in this system alone. 

3 minutes ago, BMadron01 said:

Noted! I unfortunately was not accepted into UTK... so bummed. But I feel like I put all my eggs in one basket and didn't explore other programs. 

I work in the prison in California and a ton of social workers are going for their PsyD because there really are not a lot of advancement tracks for social workers. But I cannot bring myself to leave the field for advancement in this system alone. 

That is tough.  One of the arguments for doctoral level SW licensure?

The good thing is that many programs have spring start dates and it seems like new programs are launching every year due to high demand.

9 minutes ago, BMadron01 said:

Sorry! 
Yes, it’s hard for social workers to advance in the state system. I worked at a psychiatric facility in California. There are only 4 supervisor positions.

Are you thinking of applying anywhere else?

4 minutes ago, SWlove said:

Sorry! 
Yes, it’s hard for social workers to advance in the state system. I worked at a psychiatric facility in California. There are only 4 supervisor positions.

Are you thinking of applying anywhere else?

There is a local hospital that has a crisis bed that I am interested in. But I am locked in with the state for at least one more year. I received a loan repayment from OSHPD for working in a rural, low service provision area. Were you at a DSH? 

4 hours ago, BMadron01 said:

I'm sorry to hear that you were not accepted. 

I feel exceptionally fortunate that I was accepted, I also put all my eggs in one basket. 

I looked at the PsyD along the way, both before my MSW, post MSW when the assistant director was helping look at Doc programs and they had a PsyD (the director PhD, JD, agreed with this full train of thought as well), and then when I was applying for the DSW. The common thought was that if you didn't do it from the start (pre MSW) it was not worth the time and money and energy spent to more or less start over with a new educational track, just expand what you are looking at and apply for more DSW's as they are the continuation of the MSW unlike every other similar degree e.g. psych/SW PhD, PsyD.

Keep it going!!!!! You're going to get there!!! 

13 hours ago, EJM said:

I'm sorry to hear that you were not accepted. 

I feel exceptionally fortunate that I was accepted, I also put all my eggs in one basket. 

I looked at the PsyD along the way, both before my MSW, post MSW when the assistant director was helping look at Doc programs and they had a PsyD (the director PhD, JD, agreed with this full train of thought as well), and then when I was applying for the DSW. The common thought was that if you didn't do it from the start (pre MSW) it was not worth the time and money and energy spent to more or less start over with a new educational track, just expand what you are looking at and apply for more DSW's as they are the continuation of the MSW unlike every other similar degree e.g. psych/SW PhD, PsyD.

Keep it going!!!!! You're going to get there!!! 

Thanks! I asked for some feedback- and I think I need more leadership experience. I still don't have many years under my belt- coming up on two years of licensure, and I think I am still struggling with identifying what I can do with a DSW in prison- I'm sure that ambivalence came through in my personal statement. So I am glad to have found this thread to see other DSW options and hear what others are focusing on!

Good luck in the program and congratulations! UTK is still one of my top programs I want to apply to in the future- I appreciate the clinical piece and that they are operating from a trauma informed perspective. 

51 minutes ago, SWlove said:

Have you though about expanding what you can do with your DSW outside of prison as we often wear multiple hats (leadership, teaching, private practice)?

Yeah- my dream is to create a peer led suicide prevention program in prison (but I work at a Level IV Maximum Security and there is a lot of prison politics that may prevent it from being successful). I have started to volunteer with the local rape crisis center and was considering doing a side gig on the weekends to start to get my feet wet in other areas. I have really only worked in inpatient (Napa DSH and inpatient in prison) as well as two outpatient programs for persons who are frequently 5150. 

22 minutes ago, BMadron01 said:

Yeah- my dream is to create a peer led suicide prevention program in prison (but I work at a Level IV Maximum Security and there is a lot of prison politics that may prevent it from being successful). I have started to volunteer with the local rape crisis center and was considering doing a side gig on the weekends to start to get my feet wet in other areas. I have really only worked in inpatient (Napa DSH and inpatient in prison) as well as two outpatient programs for persons who are frequently 5150. 

I've done a lot of work on suicide prevention within jail settings. I read a lot of works by Lindsey Hayes on ongoing assessment and prevention - and risk factors for COs too.  Any peer-led intervention would be amazing is you can navigate the politics. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021
Lindsay M. Hayes*

33 minutes ago, SocialWorker123 said:

It seems hard to understand that Penn would wait a week to make more offers. Does anyone think all the offers are out?

It seems like there might have been miscommunication.  Last Thursday was the date they were going to meet but notifications would not be made until 3-4 business days later.  But a few hours later acceptance calls went out. I cannot call it!