DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

3 hours ago, EJM said:

I'm excited how many programs are being developed. I hope the competition helps to drive up the quality of the programs even more and creates greater desire for DSW in the work world. 

I’d be curious to hear what the conversation is around current DSWs.

I hope MSW and DSW degrees, for those who want them, become more affordable and that pay and benefits (including loan assumption/forgiveness) are able to support the growing demand for professional doctorates in our field. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

How is the wait going? 

On 5/17/2021 at 10:46 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’ve heard a few different things. I’ve heard decisions go out in August. I’ve also heard 3-5 weeks rolling admissions.  I’ve seen 2-3 acceptances for Spring 2022...  I was told today that my application was complete and awaiting a decision?!? ?‍♀️

It's been 2ish weeks. Have they moved on from complete and waiting decision? Application reviewed? You're great, and can't wait to talk to you? Do they interview? Did I ask that already? Spring is coming up (I can't believe I just said that), maybe I'll call them and ask them to speed up the process. 

1 minute ago, EJM said:

How is the wait going? 

It's been 2ish weeks. Have they moved on from complete and waiting decision? Application reviewed? You're great, and can't wait to talk to you? Do they interview? Did I ask that already? Spring is coming up (I can't believe I just said that), maybe I'll call them and ask them to speed up the process. 

I don’t think they interview. No news yet. ? Patiently waiting, distracted by the summer semester and AMC stock prices ?

19 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I don’t think they interview. No news yet. ? Patiently waiting, distracted by the summer semester and AMC stock prices ?

LOL, I did not expect to see AMC stock prices there as one of your distractions! ?

Just now, EJM said:

Anyone have anything fun or exciting to share? I'm working on papers again and want a distraction/pick me up!

I'll take summer plans or your favorite flavor of ice cream.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

How are the distractions coming? 

better yet, how is the school acceptance coming?!

On 6/7/2021 at 8:35 PM, EJM said:

Hopefully this was just not amusing to anyone and wasn’t too personal a question ? ?

Or you’re actually out enjoying your summer plans, that sounds good too. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, EJM said:

Anyone have anything fun or exciting to share? I'm working on papers again and want a distraction/pick me up!

Hi! 

I've just been busy with work and wrapping up my kids' semesters and transitioning them to summer camp! I feel like June is flying by!

How's summer semester going? 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:35 PM, EJM said:

Teaching this summer!  Training a puppy. Trying (and so far failing)  to keep up with weeding my garden... 

On 6/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, EJM said:

How are the distractions coming? 

better yet, how is the school acceptance coming?!

No news yet on my application... I was told it can take a while. 

Distractions....  Caught up on Cobra Kai and started LOKI..... How about you? 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:13 AM, EJM said:

Hopefully this was just not amusing to anyone and wasn’t too personal a question ? ?

Or you’re actually out enjoying your summer plans, that sounds good too. 

My summer plans are getting the kids ready to transition back to school and redecorating the house. 

My favorite flavors of ice cream are rocky road and anything with chocolate, caramel, and brownie pieces.

How about you?

We have touched on this in this thread.  Interesting article:

Evolving Education: Defining the Terminal Degree
By Sue Coyle, MSW
Social Work Today

“…as the degree increases in popularity and awareness, questions and concerns have begun to circulate about what the increasing presence of DSWs could mean for the field. The term terminal degree is one that has become fraught with emotion, as professionals and leaders question what the consequences of labeling the DSW as such will be.

https://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/MA19p10.shtml

On 6/16/2021 at 8:36 AM, SWlove said:

My summer plans are getting the kids ready to transition back to school and redecorating the house. 

My favorite flavors of ice cream are rocky road and anything with chocolate, caramel, and brownie pieces.

How about you?

I was going to say mint chip but now you have me thinking about chocolate, caramel, and brownie pieces! that sounds delicious ?

I'm in full school mode but enjoying the botanical gardens whenever I can. I'm hoping to add a beach day or two if I can find the time and all coming up. :) 

On 6/14/2021 at 3:09 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Teaching this summer!  Training a puppy. Trying (and so far failing)  to keep up with weeding my garden... 

No news yet on my application... I was told it can take a while. 

Distractions....  Caught up on Cobra Kai and started LOKI..... How about you? 

Training a puppy!!! You lost me for everything else you said. I'm sure it was important, but I'm too distracted. What kind of puppy? My puppy is 13 going on 3 (or at least thinks he is) 

On 6/14/2021 at 3:05 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Hi! 

I've just been busy with work and wrapping up my kids' semesters and transitioning them to summer camp! I feel like June is flying by!

How's summer semester going? 

I'm with you on June flying by. 

It's.... it's going. my courses really need to be the full 15 weeks and the summer schedule plus holidays that fall on Mondays have one of my courses down to 10 sessions. But what are ya gonna do. 

I can't believe that the semester is half over already. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:26 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

We have touched on this in this thread.  Interesting article:

Evolving Education: Defining the Terminal Degree
By Sue Coyle, MSW
Social Work Today

“…as the degree increases in popularity and awareness, questions and concerns have begun to circulate about what the increasing presence of DSWs could mean for the field. The term terminal degree is one that has become fraught with emotion, as professionals and leaders question what the consequences of labeling the DSW as such will be.

https://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/MA19p10.shtml

I don't know how this all works out, but I would be concerned to have MSW's minimized as they do sooooo much work in the world of helping people and universities have enough of their money as is. I'll take another, deeper, look at this again. I'm curious how this plays out for sure! Thanks for sharing! 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:23 PM, EJM said:

I was going to say mint chip but now you have me thinking about chocolate, caramel, and brownie pieces! that sounds delicious ?

I'm in full school mode but enjoying the botanical gardens whenever I can. I'm hoping to add a beach day or two if I can find the time and all coming up. :) 

Mint chip is good too!

Yes, try to get some relaxation in if you can.  Will you have classes every summer you're in the program?

1 hour ago, SWlove said:

Mint chip is good too!

Yes, try to get some relaxation in if you can.  Will you have classes every summer you're in the program?

Yes, we have class every summer, although this is the fullest summer. Next year will be one class with instruction and research (I hear that is going to give me more flexibility to go to the beach eat ice cream) the following summer will be prepping to defend and then defending. So exciting and so much to do in only a couple of years! That and finding ice cream with brownie pieces. :) 

I received an acceptance call from Tulane!  (SPRING 2022)

I'm a HUGE fan of their program! It is a great balance of leadership, policy, and practice with an emphasis on applied research. Their school of social work has institutes, and active research, related to trauma and resilience and Tulane is a top 50 nationally ranked Tier 1 University.  I’m beyond excited!

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

On 6/20/2021 at 10:25 PM, EJM said:

Training a puppy!!! You lost me for everything else you said. I'm sure it was important, but I'm too distracted. What kind of puppy? My puppy is 13 going on 3 (or at least thinks he is) 

Somehow I missed this earlier!

Puppy is a Golden Retriever. She’s a “field” breed, so more red and lean vs. the Goldens that are show dogs. 

Favorite ice cream - butter pecan. 

7 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I'm a HUGE fan of their program! It is a great balance of leadership, policy, and practice with an emphasis on applied research. Their school of social work has institutes, and active research, related to trauma and resilience and Tulane is a top 50 nationally ranked Tier 1 University.  I’m beyond excited!

HOORAY!!!!! Congrats!!!!!  YOU must be over the moon!!!!  Glad I thought to randomly check this thread today!

On 6/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, EJM said:

Yes, we have class every summer, although this is the fullest summer. Next year will be one class with instruction and research (I hear that is going to give me more flexibility to go to the beach eat ice cream) the following summer will be prepping to defend and then defending. So exciting and so much to do in only a couple of years! That and finding ice cream with brownie pieces. :) 

Good thing next summer will be lighter so you can relax a little bit more before you have to focus on defending your project. Yes, progressing forward to finishing the program is exciting!  

Ben and Jerry's and Cold Stone are good options for ice cream with brownie pieces :)

On 6/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

YES!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Time to get on the "what do I do with my free time before school starts" band wagon!! 

So fantastic! ??

50 minutes ago, EJM said:

YES!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Time to get on the "what do I do with my free time before school starts" band wagon!! 

So fantastic! ??

What is this free then you speak of? ?

i was thinking of starting the DSW 2022 thread soon to support folks preparing  for programs that start next year.  
Maybe provide great articles on what the practice doctorate is and what each program is currently specializing in, etc.