DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

Random hello here ;) I'm currently in a DSW program -- University of Tennessee.  I kept meaning to post on this thread but DSWhopeful is right, it's hard to reply on the phone haha.   Anyway, I am ALSO avoiding homework and was interested in seeing more chatter about DSW programs.  I'm also curious as to what everyone is planning to do with their degree.

I decided on a DSW instead of PhD because I was interested in translational psychosocial research in palliative care and oncology.   I wanted a program that was clinically focused, but also had a good solid base for research.  UTK's curriculum fits that bill for me.   I'm currently in psychopharm and research.   

there are more and more DSW programs all the time.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the professional world.  Excited to see how the CSWE's accreditation of DSW programs changes the field. 

Edited by Goobah
typed wrong acronym haha

19 minutes ago, Goobah said:

Random hello here ;) I'm currently in a DSW program -- University of Tennessee.  I kept meaning to post on this thread but DSWhopeful is right, it's hard to reply on the phone haha.   Anyway, I am ALSO avoiding homework and was interested in seeing more chatter about DSW programs.  I'm also curious as to what everyone is planning to do with their degree.

I decided on a DSW instead of PhD because I was interested in translational psychosocial research in palliative care and oncology.   I wanted a program that was clinically focused, but also had a good solid base for research.  UTK's curriculum fits that bill for me.   I'm currently in psychopharm and research.   

there are more and more DSW programs all the time.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the professional world.  Excited to see how the ASWB's accreditation of DSW programs changes the field. 

Hello! ??

I’m also curious to see what happens with doctoral-level accreditation!

I’ve heard amazing things about UTK! 

For Penn, I love the fact that it is clinical + has research and a dissertation. I’m interested in academia (practice classes) and direct practice. 

10 hours ago, Goobah said:

there are more and more DSW programs all the time.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the professional world.  Excited to see how the CSWE's accreditation of DSW programs changes the field. 

Hi! Yes, I agree with you regarding the choice for DSW over PHD, really excited to apply the work in direct service and scholarship!  Is your program on line or in person?

12 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

it’s all absurd. Did you know medical doctors who struggle with SUDs are typically barred from getting medication assisted treatment if they want to keep their license? ?

I could talk about this topic for hours...

Did you apply anywhere else? 

I did not apply anywhere else.... you?

1 hour ago, susangardner said:

I did not apply anywhere else.... you?

Me either. I compared all the programs, their focus, costs, flexibility...  and Penn was the one that really stood out (for what I want). 

I wish NYU’s program was online! 

As far as costs - Rutgers and UTK would be out-of-state tuition for me. 
I also considered Alabama. 

16 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m interested in reducing stigma associated with SUDs.  Specifically, reducing stigma among treatment providers, including social workers.

BTW: my interview is going to be with the associate director of the DSW program. She hosted the info session I attended. 

I didn't come into my program thinking I would focus too much of my work on stigma, but it's so impossible to have a good change in someones life or build a solid program without it being a key component of it. Glad you're working on it! Do you already have your angle on addressing stigma? 

Let us know how your interview goes!! We are cheering for you!

14 hours ago, Goobah said:

Hi Goobah! welcome to the thread, we can avoid homework together until the others join us :) 

I'm excited to see how the DSW plays out long term too. I feel like we are all going to be ahead of the game when people start catching up. I do hope it is not a saturated market down the road though. although if most programs are 10ish people I guess that would have a hard time happening. 

55 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Me either. I compared all the programs, their focus, costs, flexibility...  and Penn was the one that really stood out (for what I want). 

I wish NYU’s program was online! 

As far as costs - Rutgers and UTK would be out-of-state tuition for me. 
I also considered Alabama. 

You did a much better job looking at programs than I did. I looked at maybe 5 but only ever focused on UPenn, NYU and USC. Probably won't have changed anything anyhow, but every time I read someone is looking at a program I didn't look into I wonder for a minute if I should have. ?

1 hour ago, EJM said:

I didn't come into my program thinking I would focus too much of my work on stigma, but it's so impossible to have a good change in someones life or build a solid program without it being a key component of it. Glad you're working on it! Do you already have your angle on addressing stigma? 

From the research I’ve done, there are a few approaches but no current best practice. Typically a mix of education, contact (interactions with people who have SUDs), and reflection. That being said, studies show that these interventions are typically only effective at changing behavior, not underlying beliefs. With that, a lot of disciplines (medicine, nursing, mental health, etc) have looked at implementing anti-stigma interventions and increasing SUD-specific education to future tx providers while they’re still in school/training. However, even this has been challenging because these efforts can be undermined by the implicit, or hidden, curriculum.  

TLDR: Lots of room for improvement  and opportunities for research. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

57 minutes ago, EJM said:

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely keep people posted. This is probably going to be an especially competitive cycle. I’m hopeful but also preparing for the possibility that I may have to take a step back and reassess my options if I don’t get in. ?

1 hour ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely keep people posted. This is probably going to be an especially competitive cycle. I’m hopeful but also preparing for the possibility that I may have to take a step back and reassess my options if I don’t get in. ?

sounds wise, but I'll keep going with you're going to get in until you tell me I need to stop ✌️?

10 hours ago, SWagain said:

Hello folks! So happy to find this space. I submitted my application to the University of Alabama...and now I wait! Definitely hoping for good news later this spring ?.

That’s awesome! Roll Tide!

What track are you doing? 

On 3/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, SWagain said:

Hello folks! So happy to find this space. I submitted my application to the University of Alabama...and now I wait! Definitely hoping for good news later this spring ?.

love the name! SWagain is how I'm feeling ?

1 hour ago, SWagain said:

Advanced clinical! Definitely looking forward to this journey if I’m fortunate enough to be admitted!

I like that they have a small cohort and I definitely like the price tag! I wish all public universities made on-line tuition the same as in-state! ?

I think I remember their deadline being 3/1?  When would you expect to hear back? Do they do interviews?
??????

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

1 hour ago, SWagain said:

Thanks EJM! ?? Another round of social work schooling is just what the doctor ordered lol. 

yeah it is! now if only my homework was done.. or I was at least doing it instead of being on here. so much more exciting to be chatting in the slowest moving conversation then doing lit reviews and creating presentations. especially when you all start getting in! 

26 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I like that they have a small cohort

That's the same thing I thought I wanted, its been strange to be in a somewhat larger cohort where there are probably still people I have yet to meet. bonus to it though, I'm not stuck with someone for the next number of years where I have some friends in PhD programs who don't like 3 people in their program and there are only 7. ?

1 hour ago, EJM said:

That's the same thing I thought I wanted, its been strange to be in a somewhat larger cohort where there are probably still people I have yet to meet. bonus to it though, I'm not stuck with someone for the next number of years where I have some friends in PhD programs who don't like 3 people in their program and there are only 7. ?

Good point! What are SC’s DSW cohort sizes? 

7 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Good point! What are SC’s DSW cohort sizes? 

I think when 2020 started they had their largest cohort at something near 60 students (max capacity). that number has gone down drastically over time though. I think we have lost 1/3 or more. 

20 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I like that they have a small cohort and I definitely like the price tag! I wish all public universities made on-line tuition the same as in-state! ?

I think I remember their deadline being 3/1?  When would you expect to hear back? Do they do interviews?
??????

Do you know specifically how many they have in each cohort? I believe the first was 20; not sure how many were admitted last year. And I totally agree about the tuition piece—that was such a great relief! 

The deadline was 3/1 and their online info says folks would be notified of their decisions in early May ?. Interviews are possible, but I don’t get the impression they’re required. 

????

20 hours ago, EJM said:

yeah it is! now if only my homework was done.. or I was at least doing it instead of being on here. so much more exciting to be chatting in the slowest moving conversation then doing lit reviews and creating presentations. especially when you all start getting in! 

I’m happy you’re here! Always great to get insights from someone on the other side!