DSW 2021

DSWstudentTSSW

17 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Penn gives you a summer break. I think July and most of August, if I remember correctly. 

i think a lot of the programs go straight through. With 1-2 weeks between semesters. 

Thank you! I'm looking at vacations and planning ways to rest already. 

We are all looking forward to this right?!?! ?

On 3/24/2021 at 9:48 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Penn gives you a summer break. I think July and most of August, if I remember correctly. 

I was thinking about this again (not having much time off seems to do that to me) and I think having only really looked fully at 3 schools and it was really between Penn and USC I think I convinced myself that USC was the oddball school, not Penn. 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

How are people distracting themselves? 

I took on a tutoring case for a fellow SW who has had a hard time passing their exam. It’s helpful. Lots of material review, test anxiety management, etc etc....  

I have a few jobs already, but I’m still not as distracted as I’d like to be! Waiting another month+ is tough ?

1 hour ago, SocialWorker123 said:

These posts are on the unicorn thread!  There is not a lot out there for DSW applicants. Anyone apply to Tulane?

1 hour ago, SocialWorker123 said:

These posts are on the unicorn thread!  There is not a lot out there for DSW applicants. Anyone apply to Tulane?

Welcome! Happy you found us! 
i know someone who currently attends Tulane.  They have positive feedback! 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, EJM said:

Thank you! I'm looking at vacations and planning ways to rest already. 

- Good! You seem so busy, I hope you get a plenty of R&R and a chance to recharge! 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, EJM said:

We are all looking forward to this right?!?! 

- Yes! Can’t wait to travel again! 

Just now, SWagain said:

Yep! And I suspect they received a lot of apps this year! ?

That definitely seems to be the case across the board.  I’ve heard this has been an especially competitive application cycle.  I’ve also heard that a lot of traditional PhD programs are either on pause (for new applicants) or have no/limited funding due to Covid. ?

4 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

That definitely seems to be the case across the board.  I’ve heard this has been an especially competitive application cycle.  I’ve also heard that a lot of traditional PhD programs are either on pause (for new applicants) or have no/limited funding due to Covid. ?

I’m wondering if that will be the case for these programs which are largely funded by the students. I can see staffing limitations being a factor. Did I see you mention previously you had some insight about how large Bama’s cohorts were? I think the first was 20...

42 minutes ago, SWagain said:

I’m wondering if that will be the case for these programs which are largely funded by the students. I can see staffing limitations being a factor. Did I see you mention previously you had some insight about how large Bama’s cohorts were? I think the first was 20...

I agree - I think the professional programs are probably doing slightly better (budget wise) because students often pay more toward tuition. Staffing can definitely factor in as far as class size or matching research/project interest.

i thought I remembered Bama’s cohort being around 20....  but I can’t remember where and I can’t find that information on their site. 

2 hours ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

There probably won’t be any updates from Penn until next week....  so no news to distract you here ?

if ever there was a distraction that I would like to have, that would be top of the list!

5 hours ago, SWagain said:

Well, Bama won’t be apart of my academic journey this year, but I appreciate sharing this virtual space with you all! Wishing everyone much success and happiness with their decisions!

Oh no! I’m sorry. Hopefully you can get feedback from them, if you’re interested, on what to do for next year. I’ve heard it’s not uncommon to apply more than one cycle. ❤️

16 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Oh no! I’m sorry. Hopefully you can get feedback from them, if you’re interested, on what to do for next year. I’ve heard it’s not uncommon to apply more than one cycle. ❤️

I have heard that over and over again that it is not uncommon to apply more than one cycle. 

Keep going!

7 minutes ago, EJM said:

I have heard that over and over again that it is not uncommon to apply more than one cycle. 

Keep going!

Thank you both! I’m taking a break from the process ? and will see how I feel about it in a few months. It’s a bummer that I have to wait a whole year to try again, but such is life! 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, SWagain said:

Well, Bama won’t be apart of my academic journey this year, but I appreciate sharing this virtual space with you all! Wishing everyone much success and happiness with their decisions!

Sorry to hear about that! I was also informed I wasn't selected for Bama, no interview.

I did get an interview with Penn however and the interviewer let me know that decisions will likely be out by next week.

2 hours ago, ninja650r said:

Sorry to hear about that! I was also informed I wasn't selected for Bama, no interview.

I did get an interview with Penn however and the interviewer let me know that decisions will likely be out by next week.

I'm sorry you didn't get the Bama interview, I hope Penn goes well! Cheering for you!

4 hours ago, ninja650r said:

Grats on the interview! 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

On 3/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, susangardner said:

Hi! Yes, I agree with you regarding the choice for DSW over PHD, really excited to apply the work in direct service and scholarship!  Is your program on line or in person?

My program is online, but requires synchronous attendance. I have to zoom for each class.  I like it, because I am a terrible procrastinator, and having actual class times and real-time sessions is a big motivator for me.   We have a cohort of 20, and I've gotten to know them through group projects and class time etc.  Some classes have even been split into 10, so it does seem intimate.  I feel like I'm getting an experience that's pretty close to in person.