Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

1 hour ago, AnxiousinSyriac said:

Man, I am anxious! Fellow religious studies friends, I think grad cafe is making me more anxious, haha. Two days ago, I received an email from my top choice saying that my application was missing my writing sample. Luckily, I got that squared away. I don't know whether to take their reviewing of my application as a good thing, in that perhaps, I'll hear something from them soon? Man, oh man... I wonder what my chances are...

I can totally relate with you! Been checking my email over and over!
Btw, what school was that you heard back from? Could well be a good sign!

2 hours ago, AnxiousinSyriac said:

Man, I am anxious! Fellow religious studies friends, I think grad cafe is making me more anxious, haha. Two days ago, I received an email from my top choice saying that my application was missing my writing sample. Luckily, I got that squared away. I don't know whether to take their reviewing of my application as a good thing, in that perhaps, I'll hear something from them soon? Man, oh man... I wonder what my chances are...

With you! The “check email—check gradcafe—refresh—repeat” cycle is probably unhealthy lol. As @Amama asked, what school reached out re your writing sample?

I can relate to the "check email-check gradcafe-refresh-repeat" cycle! I do that once a day...

My two top choices here in North America have yet to notify me about anything, interviews included, and that does not bode well for my prospects. Might as well fall back on what someone at BU told me back at the AAR-SBL meetings in San Diego in 2019: if you're turned down, it's not about you. It has proved to be reassuring, even if at first it does not.

I did apply to a school outside North America, which is a European university that is prominent in the field of theology, and I got accepted to a pre-doctoral master's program that, from the way it's structured, feels like the coursework phase of a Ph.D. program across the pond (because the Ph.D. programs over there are purely research/thesis work). That's another consolation in the event the other applications fall through.  

2 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

I can relate to the "check email-check gradcafe-refresh-repeat" cycle! I do that once a day...

My two top choices here in North America have yet to notify me about anything, interviews included, and that does not bode well for my prospects. Might as well fall back on what someone at BU told me back at the AAR-SBL meetings in San Diego in 2019: if you're turned down, it's not about you. It has proved to be reassuring, even if at first it does not.

I did apply to a school outside North America, which is a European university that is prominent in the field of theology, and I got accepted to a pre-doctoral master's program that, from the way it's structured, feels like the coursework phase of a Ph.D. program across the pond (because the Ph.D. programs over there are purely research/thesis work). That's another consolation in the event the other applications fall through.  

It may be hopeful thinking on my part—because I haven’t heard anything either—but I’m not sure it’s necessarily a bad sign that you haven’t heard anything yet. It looks like many folks hear back mid February.

24 minutes ago, KungFuKenny said:

It may be hopeful thinking on my part—because I haven’t heard anything either—but I’m not sure it’s necessarily a bad sign that you haven’t heard anything yet. It looks like many folks hear back mid February.

I haven’t heard anything from any of my schools yet and it’s super nerve wracking, especially when I come on here and see that others have heard from schools and also having friends who have heard from their schools, whether rejected or accepted. I haven’t heard anything. I’m trying to stay hopeful. Maybe no news is good news at this point? 

7 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

I feel this. At this point not hearing anything from any of the eight programs I applied to is driving me crazy. I'm doing my best to "live life" (ha!) but I check the email, this place, and each application status on a daily basis. 

I did reach out to friends on Facebook and one of them shared that they didn't get an interview until February. So maybe there's still hope? And some folks didn't even get an interview but did get into the program because they knew a professor/audited a course/visited campus. Of course, that's all pre-COVID. 

Also, how was the AAR-SBL in 2019? I Didn't go. I wanted to but didn't make it (and I live in San Diego hahaha). 

Any traction from any programs? How are my fellow anxious friends in the world of Religious Studies? 
I've calmed some of my anxiety, but who is to say that it won't come back tomorrow. I did gather some consolation in the discovery that my top choice program has yet to select and begin interviews. It's strange how circumstantial it all is. One year, a department gets applications for a particular sub field that outweighs others and so on. Many people do not get admitted on the basis of current enrollment, not necessarily the quality of their CV/scores. I've got a 3.96 GPA from my MTS and have 4 impressive conference presentations under my belt, but I suspect a rejection! 

8 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

I feel this. At this point not hearing anything from any of the eight programs I applied to is driving me crazy. I'm doing my best to "live life" (ha!) but I check the email, this place, and each application status on a daily basis. 

I did reach out to friends on Facebook and one of them shared that they didn't get an interview until February. So maybe there's still hope? And some folks didn't even get an interview but did get into the program because they knew a professor/audited a course/visited campus. Of course, that's all pre-COVID. 

Also, how was the AAR-SBL in 2019? I Didn't go. I wanted to but didn't make it (and I live in San Diego hahaha). 

The AAR-SBL in 2019 was quite interesting! Managed to attend a fair number of panels in things I was interested in, and got in a good number of steps just roaming around the San Diego Convention Center during downtime. I also went to a number of receptions and had both a meeting and a missed connection. I also staffed my school's booth at the event for extra income, of course.

In that case, I am somewhat reassured. In one of my schools, I had contacts with a number of faculty and one of them agreed to work with me. I met online or had an email exchange with a faculty member in four of my other schools, one of whom explicitly agreed to work with me as well. So it may be possible for this to happen. It may all have changed during this extraordinary time--what I'm wondering from the schools is have more people applied now than in past years?

21 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

The AAR-SBL in 2019 was quite interesting! Managed to attend a fair number of panels in things I was interested in, and got in a good number of steps just roaming around the San Diego Convention Center during downtime. I also went to a number of receptions and had both a meeting and a missed connection. I also staffed my school's booth at the event for extra income, of course.

In that case, I am somewhat reassured. In one of my schools, I had contacts with a number of faculty and one of them agreed to work with me. I met online or had an email exchange with a faculty member in four of my other schools, one of whom explicitly agreed to work with me as well. So it may be possible for this to happen. It may all have changed during this extraordinary time--what I'm wondering from the schools is have more people applied now than in past years?

Oh wow! Well, I sure hope you get into your program of choice! Especially if the faculty explicitly told you they want to work with you. Like, why would they not take you? I wouldn't be surprised if the number of applicants went up. I sure hope it all works out. 

That's so cool! Was that your first AAR? 

9 hours ago, AnxiousinSyriac said:

Any traction from any programs? How are my fellow anxious friends in the world of Religious Studies? 
I've calmed some of my anxiety, but who is to say that it won't come back tomorrow. I did gather some consolation in the discovery that my top choice program has yet to select and begin interviews. It's strange how circumstantial it all is. One year, a department gets applications for a particular sub field that outweighs others and so on. Many people do not get admitted on the basis of current enrollment, not necessarily the quality of their CV/scores. I've got a 3.96 GPA from my MTS and have 4 impressive conference presentations under my belt, but I suspect a rejection! 

Awww. I sure hope you get some good news. Positive thinking? How many programs did you apply to? 

5 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Oh wow! Well, I sure hope you get into your program of choice! Especially if the faculty explicitly told you they want to work with you. Like, why would they not take you? I wouldn't be surprised if the number of applicants went up. I sure hope it all works out. 

That's so cool! Was that your first AAR? 

I hope it does. The only thing not going for me is what I was told by someone working as an assistant for a graduate program in the Northeast. Interviews have always been standard for getting in, especially if one was shortlisted. Speaking of which, I learned that Duke GPR decisions have been released, and I noted that someone was interviewed for the Duke Divinity Th.D. program, which is one of my top choices. I am prepared to give up on that if I don't hear anything.

Yes, that was my first AAR. And it was convenient for me too. I was at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley so it was just a short flight down to San Diego. 

15 hours ago, AnxiousinSyriac said:

May I ask how you found out? You aren't obliged to reveal your sources...

Let's stay hopeful guys! I did hear back from one of my schools inviting me to an interview weekend next month. I have also received an email from another saying they were still in the process of shortlisting applicants for interviews and that we can expect to hear back next week. There's nothing more to do than to try and stay hopeful! lol

On 1/22/2021 at 9:46 AM, Amama said:

Let's stay hopeful guys! I did hear back from one of my schools, inviting me to an interview weekend next month. I have also received an email from another saying they were still in the process of shortlisting applicants for interviews and that we can expect to hear back next week. There's nothing more to do than to try and stay hopeful! lol

Do you mind sharing which school said that you might hear back next week? If you’d prefer not to, no problem!

47 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

Ah never mind. I'm glad that your anxiety is being relieved somewhat.

I just wrote my POI at my other top choice a note tonight. I am sure he's busy so it will take a while before he replies.

Yeah, it was through a contact at the university. My hope is that my specialization is pretty niche. Not many in the US do Syriac, particularly, from a philological angle focused on asceticism and poetry. I just worry that I used the wrong writing sample... My original number one choice, CUA, seemed promising in my admittance. However, they are not able to provide funding for the coming academic year, due to the ongoing pandemic. They said, if admitted, I could defer to 2022, which is, of course, possible, but requires some discernment. 

3 minutes ago, NTEJGuy said:

Did you reach out to ND to solicit this timeline for their interviews, or did they contact you? 

No, I didn't reach out to them. To be honest, I think it was a generic email, sent to all applicants. The program is administered differently from their PhD program in theology (which I also applied to but haven't heard back from). This peace studies/theology program is administered by their Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies.

Did you apply to ND too?

2 minutes ago, Amama said:

No, I didn't reach out to them. To be honest, I think it was a generic email, sent to all applicants. The program is administered differently from their PhD program in theology (which I also applied to but haven't heard back from). This peace studies/theology program is administered by their Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies.

Did you apply to ND too?

Gotcha! Yes, I did, in NT. 

9 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

I hope it does. The only thing not going for me is what I was told by someone working as an assistant for a graduate program in the Northeast. Interviews have always been standard for getting in, especially if one was shortlisted. Speaking of which, I learned that Duke GPR decisions have been released, and I noted that someone was interviewed for the Duke Divinity Th.D. program, which is one of my top choices. I am prepared to give up on that if I don't hear anything.

Yes, that was my first AAR. And it was convenient for me too. I was at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley so it was just a short flight down to San Diego. 

Oh cool! How was your experience at the GTU? I was thinking about applying there but ultimately decided not to (not enough faculty in my area). 

I hear that. I applied to Notre Dame's Theology department in 2019 but didn't get in. I met with one of their professors there too but he didn't seem too excited about my project. I realized that my project and training wasn't in theology at all. I did my Master of Theological Studies at Harvard, but my work really was more of a historical project. Some theology but not a heavy emphasis. That helped to get through the rejection letter. I also applied to Harvard's Study of Religion in 2019 (and even talked to my letter recommender who was the Graduate Advisor at the time, and said he'd want to work with me) but didn't get in because my project wasn't clear enough at the time (my hypothesis). SUCH a different application then and now! And I didn't get an interview.    

7 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Oh cool! How was your experience at the GTU? I was thinking about applying there but ultimately decided not to (not enough faculty in my area). 

I hear that. I applied to Notre Dame's Theology department in 2019 but didn't get in. I met with one of their professors there too but he didn't seem too excited about my project. I realized that my project and training wasn't in theology at all. I did my Master of Theological Studies at Harvard, but my work really was more of a historical project. Some theology but not a heavy emphasis. That helped to get through the rejection letter. I also applied to Harvard's Study of Religion in 2019 (and even talked to my letter recommender who was the Graduate Advisor at the time, and said he'd want to work with me) but didn't get in because my project wasn't clear enough at the time (my hypothesis). SUCH a different application then and now! And I didn't get an interview.    

The GTU, where I got my Master of Arts last year, was a pretty good place to develop something of an interdisciplinary interest in both systematic and liturgical theology. My thesis committee, which was mainly comprised of liturgists, also knew about the way liturgical theology and systematics interacted and it was very helpful. My biggest regret there was not doing systematics altogether. My advisor there and I agreed, when I was thinking of applying for this cycle, that I should pursue that for the doctorate. 

Seems that this pivot didn’t quite sit well with admissions committees in North America, but I might be wrong, and I’m still somewhat hopeful.

11 hours ago, Amama said:

Let's stay hopeful guys! I did hear back from one of my schools (Baylor), inviting me to an interview weekend next month. I have also received an email from another saying they were still in the process of shortlisting applicants for interviews and that we can expect to hear back next week. There's nothing more to do than to try and stay hopeful! lol

Thanks for this. I’m definitely trying to stay hopeful, though the time frame is getting shorter for consideration by the schools to which I’m applying. The top three I’m applying to try to get their results out by early to mid-February, though that might change this year because of COVID. I’m glad you’re getting scheduled for an interview!

1 hour ago, crossroadsph said:

The GTU, where I got my Master of Arts last year, was a pretty good place to develop something of an interdisciplinary interest in both systematic and liturgical theology. My thesis committee, which was mainly comprised of liturgists, also knew about the way liturgical theology and systematics interacted and it was very helpful. My biggest regret there was not doing systematics altogether. My advisor there and I agreed, when I was thinking of applying for this cycle, that I should pursue that for the doctorate. 

Seems that this pivot didn’t quite sit well with admissions committees in North America, but I might be wrong, and I’m still somewhat hopeful.

Daaang. I feel that because I applied to programs kind of outside my field. I'm hopeful though. 

I still have hope for you. I know everything works out for the best. : )