Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

12 hours ago, beorn1968 said:

and a no go with Northwestern History, this one kinda hurt. solidarity and congrats to whoever got in.

?

I'm sorry : (

History programs can be brutal. I expect the rest of mine to be rejections. Meh!

I wanted to apply to Northwestern but decided no to. The POI (in Religious Studies) straight up told me he wasn't able to take me as a student.

5 hours ago, שמע אלוהים said:

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well during this intermediate period. I know how difficult this process can be, and the worst part is when there is nothing left that you can do—except wait (are we not conditioned to do everything we possibly can to increase our chances of admittance?). Indeed, what is even worse is when schools keep you in the dark until the last minute, especially when they have already made decisions behind the scenes. It is also not helpful that Grad Cafe has incomplete data, meaning that not everybody who gets an interview or offer of acceptance posts it. 

Ergo, I have gone back and forth about whether I would comment on this thread, because I have an aversion to coming off the wrong way (you can imagine how people may incorrectly interpret one's post as bragging, especially with such a sensitive topic as this). Notwithstanding, since I myself hate the guessing game and speculating what may or may not be happening behind the scenes, I thought I would share some information that I happen to be privy to. 

(1) Notre Dame Theology interview invites went out today. My friend, who applied, received an interview request with the faculty this afternoon (done virtually this year instead of in-person). Typically, at least from my understanding, ND sends out their invites in one batch, which may trickle out throughout the day and perhaps into the next day. I did not apply to ND, but it is a great program, and I hope some of you got invites. 

(2) The University of Virginia is taking students this year. Last year, the JCA subfield had two offers fall through, so I expect that they will get one of the reduced spots this year. I could be wrong about this, but this seems to make good, logical sense. I cannot speak to any of the other subfields. I personally did not apply, but I figured some of you might like to know this. 

(3) I am the Hebrew Bible admit to Duke University's PhD in Religious Studies (GPR). I was also interviewed for the Th.D., and the phrasing of the email that was sent seems to suggest that the short-list for the Th.D. has already been established. The day after I interviewed for the Th.D. I received the news about the GPR, meaning I am holding out hope that they will take a OT/HB Th.D. student. If I do matriculate at Duke, it would fantastic to have a colleague to take classes with. Truly, I am pulling for an additional admit. The exact phrasing of the Th.D. interview offer was as follows:

"Dear X,

The Th.D. Admissions committee has established its short list of applicants for 2021. As the next stage in the process, we invite you to meet for 30-40 minutes via Zoom video conference with two members of the Admissions Committee. This will give you an opportunity to talk in greater depth about the fit of your research interests with Duke's Th.D. Program as well as to ask any questions you may have."

I counted sixteen interviewees who filled out the form, including myself. 

On another note, Duke's GPR only took 6 students total this year (usually 10-12), and applications were at an all time high, meaning that the admittance rate was <2.5%. I anticipate that this is the case at most institutions, and that these numbers are reflected broadly. This means several things: (1) A rejection is not a comment on your ability as a student. The odds were never in one's favor, and this is even more so the case this year. (2) If you do receive an offer, you should be extremely thankful. My sources tell me that PTS is only taking three (yes, three) Ph.D. students this year. That means most subfields will not get a slot. If it helps, my MA is from the University of Chicago and my BA from a top-tier undergraduate institution and I still felt that I would ultimately be rejected given the financial impact of Covid. There are never any guarantees in this process, especially this year. If it does not work out for you this year, I highly encourage you to give it another go around next year. 

That seems like enough for now. Truly, I wish you all the best of luck. Maybe I will meet some of you next year. 

Thank you for posting this. It's pretty useful to know what people are aware of and have experienced. I know Duke Divinity School takes between 6 to 7 people for the Th.D. and I asked whether the number of slots would go down this year. They said it would not. 

I believe that Boston College sends out admitted and waitlisted results today (31 January) and rejections a couple of weeks later. This is based on past posted results. Boston University is having interviews now, from what I've seen. I applied to these schools last year, with mixed results. BC turned me down and BU offered me an STM slot.

Your post reminds us, once again, that this is really a challenging year for trying to get in. I am not surprised, but I do wish schools let people know sooner if they aren't even waitlisted at all. That would probably release some of the stressful tension.

Thanks again for posting, and I hope to see you at a conference if it happens in person at some point!

does anybody know what the UVA RLS process is? interviews etc? And when can we

expect to hear on decisions? thanks for all the support. solidarity!

Edited by beorn1968

15 hours ago, beorn1968 said:

does anybody know what the UVA RLS process is? interviews etc? And when can we

expect to hear on decisions? thanks for all the support. solidarity!

If you're referring to UVA Religious Studies, it's my understanding that it isn't really their policy to conduct interviews, especially if you've had previous contact with professors, but I could be wrong.

Edited by _Athena_

1 hour ago, _Athena_ said:

If you're referring to UVA Religious Studies, it's my understanding that it isn't really their policy to conduct interviews, especially if you've had previous contact with professors, but I could be wrong.

yes, sorry for my unique form of shorthand. thanks for the heads up

So I’ve never actually called a department/school before admissions to ask when results will come out. I was always scared that by doing so, they would get annoyed by me, and somehow it would affect whether I get in or not (I overthink A LOT). However I would really like to know when to expect something from Harvard and I would hope that this year, calling is justified in that COVID has changed a lot, so relying on previous results and dates here on grad cafe back when things were “normal” can be misleading.

What are your thoughts on calling programs to ask? Is it generally frowned upon? Should I just do it?

4 hours ago, alizeh55 said:

So I’ve never actually called a department/school before admissions to ask when results will come out. I was always scared that by doing so, they would get annoyed by me, and somehow it would affect whether I get in or not (I overthink A LOT). However I would really like to know when to expect something from Harvard and I would hope that this year, calling is justified in that COVID has changed a lot, so relying on previous results and dates here on grad cafe back when things were “normal” can be misleading.

What are your thoughts on calling programs to ask? Is it generally frowned upon? Should I just do it?

I don't think they would be annoyed by your inquiry. But from what I know, Harvard normally sends out something around the middle of February!

1 hour ago, amam said:

Someone posted a couple of days back that ND had sent out interview invites. Has anyone here actually heard back from them though? I did apply there and perhaps I might as well take my mind off them?

I applied to CJA (NT) and have not heard anything. I know their Peace Studies/Theology program, which is run separately from their theology department, put out interviews (or maybe decisions?) a bit ago; and one person on this thread mentioned that a theology applicant received an interview. It's possible things are moving but generally their interviews invites go out the first week of February for an interview weekend late in the month.

We'll see! This year, with all the disruptions, I'm just not drawing any conclusions until I get notifications directly from the school.

1 minute ago, dougy said:

I applied to CJA (NT) and have not heard anything. I know their Peace Studies/Theology program, which is run separately from their theology department, put out interviews (or maybe decisions?) a bit ago; and one person on this thread mentioned that a theology applicant received an interview. It's possible things are moving but generally their interviews invites go out the first week of February for an interview weekend late in the month.

We'll see! This year, with all the disruptions, I'm just not drawing any conclusions until I get notifications directly from the school.

Yeah, I agree with you. The only certain thing this year might be an email directly from the school. I did apply to their Peace Studies/Theology program and was notified of their decision (rejection) last week. Waiting to know the status of my application to their theology department.

28 minutes ago, amam said:

Yeah, I agree with you. The only certain thing this year might be an email directly from the school. I did apply to their Peace Studies/Theology program and was notified of their decision (rejection) last week. Waiting to know the status of my application to their theology department.

I don’t claim to have any inside information, but I think it’s a bit early to give up on ND Theo. Dept. I applied to MT and haven’t heard back yet.

In addition to ND, I’m wondering if anyone has heard from Emory GDR.

Called the Emory GDR admissions office this morning and found out that initial interview requests have already gone out. There may be another round of interviews and decisions will likely go out shortly after mid-February. Trying not to be discouraged since the website indicates that not receiving an interview does not preclude admission, but it’s tough.

hi folks, glad to see this thread. I have a quick question if anyone wants to chime in: I can potentially do my phd at either a department of religion or an area studies department focusing on religion, so that's not the issue. my concern is that i have been trained in religious studies in my MA and would like to keep it that way. for this particular school that I am thinking about, the poi is core faculty in both but I only applied for area studies as religion was not taking applicants. I feel like area study does poorly in the job market, and I am not a huge fan of the program structure compared to the relg studies program. So, I am a bit concerned, any thoughts?

Does the fact that two people (at least on Gradcafe) have received interview invitations from Boston University this past week essentially assure a rejection to be arriving to me in the next few weeks? Confused as to how I should gauge what I'm seeing on here lmao. I applied to the Practical Theology track. Does anyone have any insight into the way BU handles interviews? 

Edited by Niraj

Hey all,

I just got a long email from Loyola Chicago (Theology Dept.). Apparently, they only had one new Ph.D. line for 2021 (in normal times, they have usually had four). The one and only offer of admission went/will go to a NT applicant (I was an ISET applicant). The email was ambiguous as to whether the single offer had been made and/or accepted.

In short, it’s a rough year.

In case it helps anybody:

Vanderbilt GDR: interview invitation Jan. 15

Duke GPR: rejected Jan. 21 (someone suggested above that Duke has probably already extended its offers)

Loyola Chicago Theo. Dept.: rejected Feb. 1

Emory GDR: radio silence

ND Theo. Dept.: radio silence

3 minutes ago, stlmo said:

Hey all,

I just got a long email from Loyola Chicago (Theology Dept.). Apparently, they only had one new Ph.D. line for 2021 (in normal times, they have usually had four). The one and only offer of admission went/will go to a NT applicant (I was an ISET applicant). The email was ambiguous as to whether the single offer had been made and/or accepted.

In short, it’s a rough year.

In case it helps anybody:

Vanderbilt GDR: interview invitation Jan. 15

Duke GPR: rejected Jan. 21 (someone suggested above that Duke has probably already extended its offers)

Loyola Chicago Theo. Dept.: rejected Feb. 1

Emory GDR: radio silence

ND Theo. Dept.: radio silence

See my previous post re: Emory GDR. I didn’t get a date, but got confirmation from the admissions dept that initial interview requests have gone out. Thanks for the additional info.

Probably going to hate myself for asking this but has anyone heard anything from Yale Religious Studies? From reading last year's results its seems an interview is not absolutely necessary to get accepted, or does it depend on the field?  If not covid delayed, looks like Yale will send out acceptances by the middle of the month.  hoping we all hear positive things  soon. Solidarity!

2 hours ago, Niraj said:

Does the fact that two people (at least on Gradcafe) have received interview invitations from Boston University this past week essentially assure a rejection to be arriving to me in the next few weeks? Confused as to how I should gauge what I'm seeing on here lmao. I applied to the Practical Theology track. Does anyone have any insight into the way BU handles interviews? 

Can’t speak for phd’s because this is my first round applying, but for my master’s admissions, I was notified really late (in April). I assume no rejection email means they might be considering your application still (no news is good news), so I wouldn’t draw conclusions until you get the email!

23 minutes ago, beorn1968 said:

Probably going to hate myself for asking this but has anyone heard anything from Yale Religious Studies? From reading last year's results its seems an interview is not absolutely necessary to get accepted, or does it depend on the field?  If not covid delayed, looks like Yale will send out acceptances by the middle of the month.  hoping we all hear positive things  soon. Solidarity!

I think one report on the survey did mention interviews for the theology area last year. 

When I inquired with a faculty member at Yale about the program, this professor told me that they are halving the number of slots they’ll be offering this year. Based on Yale stats that are on their website, RS admitted 12 last year. This means that it’ll be likely down to six. So good luck to us indeed (I also applied).

17 minutes ago, alizeh55 said:

Can’t speak for phd’s because this is my first round applying, but for my master’s admissions, I was notified really late (in April). I assume no rejection email means they might be considering your application still (no news is good news), so I wouldn’t draw conclusions until you get the email!

If I recall correctly, Boston University issues doctoral admissions decisions in mid-February. That was when I was informed that I would be offered the STM rather than the Ph.D. (Practical Theology, homiletics). I’ve decided to await what verdicts any school will announce...even if interview requests were already sent out by some schools.

33 minutes ago, beorn1968 said:

I have not heard anything. Hoping there will be some movement in the next couple weeks!

39 minutes ago, beorn1968 said:

Haven’t heard anything from Yale yet either.

36 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

I think one report on the survey did mention interviews for the theology area last year. 

When I inquired with a faculty member at Yale about the program, this professor told me that they are halving the number of slots they’ll be offering this year. Based on Yale stats that are on their website, RS admitted 12 last year. This means that it’ll be likely down to six. So good luck to us indeed (I also applied).

If I recall correctly, Boston University issues doctoral admissions decisions in mid-February. That was when I was informed that I would be offered the STM rather than the Ph.D. (Practical Theology, homiletics). I’ve decided to await what verdicts any school will announce...even if interview requests were already sent out by some schools.

Did you interview at Boston University last year? If yes, how was it?

1 hour ago, alizeh55 said:

48 minutes ago, amam said:

Did you interview at Boston University last year? If yes, how was it?

Oddly enough, no. The story, from what I can surmise from what they told me, was that they were about to turn me down but were convinced that my research had some promise, most likely by my POI. They then emailed me on a Friday morning (I remember this well) telling me that I would be admitted to the Master of Sacred Theology program with my POI as the advisor. I did not interview for it, and I was shocked, to be honest. I deferred admission to this year, given the circumstances, and I will think about taking up the offer, depending on the results other schools issue.

5 hours ago, sayf said:

hi folks, glad to see this thread. I have a quick question if anyone wants to chime in: I can potentially do my phd at either a department of religion or an area studies department focusing on religion, so that's not the issue. my concern is that i have been trained in religious studies in my MA and would like to keep it that way. for this particular school that I am thinking about, the poi is core faculty in both but I only applied for area studies as religion was not taking applicants. I feel like area study does poorly in the job market, and I am not a huge fan of the program structure compared to the relg studies program. So, I am a bit concerned, any thoughts?

I hope my response is helpful. 

I have a BA and Master's in religion. Ideally, my PhD would be in Religious Studies. Unfortunately, my POI was not in a Religious Studies dept. They were in the Chicanx Studies dept (that historically does not focus on religion). BUT I reached out to him in August with this concern. He said I would be fine if I got into the program. I chose the program because the professors/current students research interests aligned with my own so I know I'd be able to collaborate and strengthen my work.  

I was also concerned about the job prospects/placements so I reached out to a professor/mentor who reminded me that it's about my work more than it is about what department I graduated from.   

If you would like to keep the Religious Studies track then I would apply when they're taking students. Why spend time in a department/program you're not going to be happy in?