Georgetown SFS - Fall 2021

niceswing

3 minutes ago, howyagoing said:

SFS is approx. $85K USD

Oxford is £25.9 GBP (approx. $36K USD)

+ living costs 

Is the Oxford course one year? 

I think the Oxford name, cheaper price, and the international experience of being in the UK might be a good thing. 

I understand that Georgetown is a really attractive program though. Have you asked Georgetown if they can offer any funding? Even a few thousand dollars might help take the edge off it. 

4 minutes ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Is the Oxford course one year? 

I think the Oxford name, cheaper price, and the international experience of being in the UK might be a good thing. 

I understand that Georgetown is a really attractive program though. Have you asked Georgetown if they can offer any funding? Even a few thousand dollars might help take the edge off it. 

Yes, just Oxford is only one year vs 1.5 or 2 at SFS (depending on how many courses you take per semester in second year). This is another bonus for Oxford, as it will be nice to finish quicker. 

And no, I haven't tried negotiating - the offer letter explicitly said no funding is available though so that's why I haven't bothered. 

But thanks for the advice, Oxford does seem like a somewhat 'safer' option... despite the allure of SFS.

I'm really struggling to decide between SFS and Columbia- anyone here willing to offer some advice?

I'm studying Russian, Eurasian, and Eastern European Studies and I was accepted into both programs. Both programs have not given me any info on funding... Columbia announces their awards in early April, which is after the decision date- so I really can't compare the price. International relations was one of my undergrad majors, so I'll be studying the region with that background. Does anyone know which program would be better?? Like, SFS is better for international relations by far, but it seems that Columbia has better faculty for my area studies. I also have no clue how much funding both of these schools usually give to grads. Any advice would help a lot

4 hours ago, Haley_5533 said:

I'm really struggling to decide between SFS and Columbia- anyone here willing to offer some advice?

I'm studying Russian, Eurasian, and Eastern European Studies and I was accepted into both programs. Both programs have not given me any info on funding... Columbia announces their awards in early April, which is after the decision date- so I really can't compare the price. International relations was one of my undergrad majors, so I'll be studying the region with that background. Does anyone know which program would be better?? Like, SFS is better for international relations by far, but it seems that Columbia has better faculty for my area studies. I also have no clue how much funding both of these schools usually give to grads. Any advice would help a lot

Georgetown generally announces awards fairly immediately, from what I have seen, so I imagine no word is not a good sign (others are free to disagree with me if that has been their experience!).

Another question would be, what is your goal in going to graduate school? Are you hoping for the benefits of Washington, DC networking and internships? Or would you rather be closer to the UN? 

If you are more interested in the academic track, I personally would recommend SIPA, especially if faculty are better in your field. However, I don't know a lot about either school's Eurasian studies programs.

I am also caught between Georgetown MSFS and SIPA MIA. Are these programs similarly regarded? How do the network and job opportunities compare? I'm not married to being in DC/public sector forever and would like to explore possible non-profit work post grad.

I realize how lucky I am to be in this position, but I'm super new to this grad school thing so I'd appreciate any sense of strengths and weaknesses.

26 minutes ago, mppaspiring said:

I am also caught between Georgetown MSFS and SIPA MIA. Are these programs similarly regarded? How do the network and job opportunities compare? I'm not married to being in DC/public sector forever and would like to explore possible non-profit work post grad.

I realize how lucky I am to be in this position, but I'm super new to this grad school thing so I'd appreciate any sense of strengths and weaknesses.

Seconded. Wondering how folks rate the two programs. I am an international applicant looking to stay back in the US for a few years (ideally at a multilateral agency working on the intersection of conflict prevention and development). Funding from both institutions has been similar. 

17 hours ago, highoncaffeine said:

Georgetown generally announces awards fairly immediately, from what I have seen, so I imagine no word is not a good sign (others are free to disagree with me if that has been their experience!).

Another question would be, what is your goal in going to graduate school? Are you hoping for the benefits of Washington, DC networking and internships? Or would you rather be closer to the UN? 

If you are more interested in the academic track, I personally would recommend SIPA, especially if faculty are better in your field. However, I don't know a lot about either school's Eurasian studies programs.

No word is definitely a bad sign :( I have a feeling I won't get much aid from Columbia if I get any. I think the alumni network at SFS would be really helpful- so, I'll probably choose Georgetown, but no aid is super disappointing. I'm going to try really hard to find a way to make a decent amount of money just to afford rent, and then I'm going to pray that student debt is canceled in the next few years lol

Money aside - which is ranked higher: Georgetown MSFS or Yale Jackson MA in Global Affairs? 

Does Yale’s name carry more weight than Georgetown’s connections in the long run, especially if you want to go into politics/intelligence worlds?

23 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Similar question. How much is Georgetown MSFS worth compared to other DC programs at GWU, American, SAIS? And Fletcher?

I'm really not sure I can justify the expense. 

Please don't let this sway you too strongly, because I am not an expert. But as I an international applicant, I can provide a (subjective) comment on the reputation of these outside of the US...

From where I stand, the only program you listed that would be viewed with "equal prestige" (although the idea of prestige is subjective and somewhat petty) as MSFS is SAIS. If you are not bothered by the heavier focus on economics at SAIS, then I personally don't think you should view the degree as any less valuable than MSFS. However, Fletcher isn't too far behind either.

But the relative weight of these programs might seem more balanced in the US.

However, if finances are a big factor in your decision making, I don't think the minor difference in prestige is worth paying significantly more for MSFS vs Fletcher (for example). 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, Me213 said:

Money aside - which is ranked higher: Georgetown MSFS or Yale Jackson MA in Global Affairs? 

Does Yale’s name carry more weight than Georgetown’s connections in the long run, especially if you want to go into politics/intelligence worlds?

On 3/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, EscapingBrexit said:

Similar question. How much is Georgetown MSFS worth compared to other DC programs at GWU, American, SAIS? And Fletcher?

I'm really not sure I can justify the expense. 

So, acknowledging the fact that I'm definitely biased as an enrolled student, I will say that when I was making my decisions between other DC schools (SAIS, GWU, American), I was advised by several people in the field, some of whom had attended some of the other schools, that GU was hands down the best choice and is often seen as the 'top dog'. That's not to say that the other programs aren't fantastic, but MSFS is very well respected and has a wonderful and far reaching network. It is expensive, but I will say, people pay attention when they see MSFS on, say, an internship application or resumé.

As far as Yale Jackson and the weight of the name, in the sphere of international affairs, I would actually hazard that GU's name, and specifically MSFS, carries more. Grad Report has us currently ranked as the #1 Master's program in international affairs. I do understand the allure of an Ivy, but don't discount that the people hiring you will be looking at the program and not just the school.

https://www.gradreports.com/best-graduate-schools/international-relations

Edited by PupCakes
Typo

On 3/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, Palan_Show said:

Anyone still not heard back from SSP?

I still hadn't heard back, so I emailed them this afternoon and was emailed back within 30mins that I was accepted, but that they were still finalizing things so that's why I hadn't received anything yet, but that I should be soon. I say that to say, maybe try reaching out :)

Has anyone had any luck negotiating more aid from Gtown using an offer from a parallel program (for me, it would be SAIS)? Wondering what the protocol is around this and who I should email. Not expecting much or really anything but figure its worth a shot.

7 hours ago, CompGuy said:

Extremely struggling between SSP and HKS MPP. Want to get into the NatSec field, but my heart tells me to go HKS (and that it wouldn't preclude me from a NatSec career later down the line). What do you all think?

Unless you really hate Quant, you should go to HKS MPP. The reason is because it is better to approach NatSec from an interdisciplinary perspective in my opinion + it is good to have some career flexibility. I know a fair amount of people who have NatSec burn out after years of it non-stop. 

That being said, you are giving up opportunities to work with political risk firms and up close interaction with the Beltway Defense infrastructure. However, there are many different ways to approach defense.

However, if you look at the finalists for the McCain Fellowship for DOD, you have a lot of people outside of DC schools (granted Georgetown is the plurity/majority). Note how some of them did it all the way from the UK!!! 

John S. McCain Strategic Defense Fellows Program - Cohort 1 Finalists (whs.mil)

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

1 hour ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Unless you really hate Quant, you should go to HKS MPP. The reason is because it is better to approach NatSec from an interdisciplinary perspective in my opinion + it is good to have some career flexibility. I know a fair amount of people who have NatSec burn out after years of it non-stop. 

That being said, you are giving up opportunities to work with political risk firms and up close interaction with the Beltway Defense infrastructure. However, there are many different ways to approach defense.

However, if you look at the finalists for the McCain Fellowship for DOD, you have a lot of people outside of DC schools (granted Georgetown is the plurity/majority). Note how some of them did it all the way from the UK!!! 

John S. McCain Strategic Defense Fellows Program - Cohort 1 Finalists (whs.mil)

I'm deciding between SAIS MAIR and Georgetown SSP. Would you say the same thing about the interdisciplinary focus of SAIS? Really struggling between the two.

My personal priority is to work in the realm of security assistance accountability, monitoring foreign military sales and Leahy Law-type enforcement. I'm a bit quant-adverse and concerned that SAIS' econ requirements could drop my GPA, which would make me lose my scholarship and pay full tuition. 

7 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I'm deciding between SAIS MAIR and Georgetown SSP. Would you say the same thing about the interdisciplinary focus of SAIS? Really struggling between the two.

My personal priority is to work in the realm of security assistance accountability, monitoring foreign military sales and Leahy Law-type enforcement. I'm a bit quant-adverse and concerned that SAIS' econ requirements could drop my GPA, which would make me lose my scholarship and pay full tuition. 

No those are two separate comparisons. I would say Georgetown SSP has more interdisciplinary opportunities than SAIS. SAIS, although an amazing school, doesn't really play well with the rest of JHU or even DC schools (for example, they are not part of the DC school consortium where you can take classes at other schools). If you are one of those people those people that does well with hands on learning, SSP is the way to go (since it is pretty much not quant oriented at all) as it is heavily focused on hands on learning opportunities.

I know people who went to SAIS without a Quaint background and marriages struggled because they were stuck in the library till midnight learning Quaint. That was time they could have spent padding their resume. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

2 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

No those are two separate comparisons. I would say Georgetown SSP has more interdisciplinary opportunities than SAIS. SAIS, although an amazing school, doesn't really play well with the rest of JHU or even DC schools (for example, they are not part of the DC school consortium where you can take classes at other schools). If you are one of those people those people that does well with hands on learning, SSP is the way to go (since it is pretty much not quant oriented at all). 

I know people who went to SAIS without a Quaint background and marriages struggled because they were stuck in the library till midnight learning Quaint. That was time they could have spent padding their resume. 

That really helps. Thank you. I have a full time job now that's in the field I'm gunning for and pays decently (just lower on the rung of responsibility) and SSP means I can keep it. I think I'm going to head that way then. 

6 hours ago, Kole_Kolt said:

That really helps. Thank you. I have a full time job now that's in the field I'm gunning for and pays decently (just lower on the rung of responsibility) and SSP means I can keep it. I think I'm going to head that way then. 

Woohoo! See you in the Fall :)

On 2/28/2021 at 7:12 AM, 6oahz said:

Congrats! I got in too. I didn't see the email until Saturday. It went straight to my "promotions" box. Are you waiting to hear back from some other programs too? 

Hey! I'm sorry, I haven't checked this forum since I posted. I was waiting on UChicago. GHD is kind of an outlier in the programs I applied for. I'm having a difficult time deciding, but Georgetown didn't give me very much aid, so... 

Joel Hellman, the dean of Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, said that the excitement was also trickling to academic programs that train future diplomats. Applications to the school’s graduate programs, including its masters of science degree in foreign service, jumped 40 percent this cycle, he said, the single largest increase in “living memory."

/NY Times article.